Council Official Q&A Thread

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    seeing as the new rail system opens up so many new possibilities on average the amount of docked entities on ships will go up. after playing around a bit on the dev builds i've noticed that switching to docked entities in flight mode(arrow key up/down) does not discriminate against any docked ship be it a small fighter or 1 of 100 tiny sliding doors.

Will we see a way to disqualify docked entities from this quick switching method so we don't switch to docking arm #52 when we wanted to switch to our personal fighter?

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is just a flavor idea.

For lack of better terminology at the moment, I'll call it a "rumor mill". It is a series of server specific archetypal titles awarded to players or factions who accomplish certain feats, i.e. Fastest Ship, Most Oppressive Faction, Best Pilot, etc... With a title comes a passive boon that exaggerates the truth of the title, like a 5% bonus to speed, a small bonus to damage when in proximity to a faction member, or all turning speeds are maximized regardless of the mass or shape of any ship you pilot. These titles are then displayed at the spawn screen so players logging on can see the "who's who" of the galaxy they are about to jump into.

The primary function of the rumor mill is injecting the sense of awe and uniqueness into StarMade that is present in our favorite space operas. Anyone familiar with the intimates of Star Wars' Millennium Falcon knows that it's just a modified Corellian YT-1300, but what makes it special is the rumor that it is the fastest ship in the galaxy. Including titles like this in StarMade would provide players with motivations to accomplish great feats in order to win these titles or even to defend them.

The greatest pitfall of any sandbox is the realization of pointlessness in whatever task it was you had your heart set on completing. "It was fun building this castle! ...I guess I'll keep all my junk here while I go play Battlefield 37." A rumor mill gives purpose to these types of projects. That massive ship you built? Rumor has it it's virtually indestructible, here's a bonus to the armor rating and community recognition for your accomplishment. Oh, also, you now need to defend this title if you want to keep it because other players are going to compete for it now.

If I log on one day and I see in the rumor mill that Crusade's ship, "The Aluminum Turkey", is the fastest ship in the galaxy, I might decide that I have a ship more worthy of that title. I could challenge Crusade to a race that might become a community event.

More importantly, this sort of system implements a sense of story telling that completely stays out of the way of the core of the game. It remains a sandbox, but with an added level of immersion and motivation. Certain titles could be geared more toward a heroic mindset while others might inspire the bearer to villainy on appropriate servers, making for miniature space opera scenarios where the Most Oppressive Faction invades a sector defended by the Best Pilot and the Fastest Ship. Players without unique titles would still want to be part of events like that, because they would all be familiar with the ships and pilots and likely want to see them in action, if not take a stab at earning (or stealing) a title themselves.

Reaction score
    When will the secuity issues be fixed, e.g. possibility of every faction member of opening any door and storage? Also will Schine in the nearest future add password locks for faction blocks? If it is possible in the end. As well as a possibility of inviting someone into a custom chat channel.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    When will the secuity issues be fixed, e.g. possibility of every faction member of opening any door and storage? Also will Schine in the nearest future add password locks for faction blocks? If it is possible in the end. As well as a possibility of inviting someone into a custom chat channel.
    you already have faction permission blocks that can do that for storage :P
    and you can open a private channel with anyone you want

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    you already have faction permission blocks that can do that for storage
    Not only storage, it in general affects any block next to it, that can be interacted with, the exception being doors and build-blocks. A faction permission module next to a door will affect every block of the door.

Reaction score
    you already have faction permission blocks that can do that for storage :p
    and you can open a private channel with anyone you want
    Not only storage, it in general affects any block next to it, that can be interacted with, the exception being doors and build-blocks. A faction permission module next to a door will affect every block of the door.
    Guys, sorry for misleading post upper in the thread. The issue I am talking about is that every member of the faction of any rank CAN actually open a storage, no matter if the storage is placed on a restricted structure (e.g. a homestation, which is prohibited to be edited, or a main capital ship, which is not allowed to be edited by faction block too), as well as he CAN open any doors placed on a structure. And I would like them NOT to be able to.
    The placement of a faction permission block is granting a permission, it is not a prohibition block.

As to the private channel, you speak about PM tete-a-tete, but I am speaking about a group channels creation, like I want Jeb, Mark ,Jullian and 5 others to know about my special activities, but not Fred, Alice and 30 other players online. Also the first 8 players are not members of my faction, so faction channel won't work for it.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Guys, sorry for misleading post upper in the thread. The issue I am talking about is that every member of the faction of any rank CAN actually open a storage, no matter if the storage is placed on a restricted structure (e.g. a homestation, which is prohibited to be edited, or a main capital ship, which is not allowed to be edited by faction block too), as well as he CAN open any doors placed on a structure. And I would like them NOT to be able to.
    The placement of a faction permission block is granting a permission, it is not a prohibition block.

As to the private channel, you speak about PM tete-a-tete, but I am speaking about a group channels creation, like I want Jeb, Mark ,Jullian and 5 others to know about my special activities, but not Fred, Alice and 30 other players online. Also the first 8 players are not members of my faction, so faction channel won't work for it.
    but faction permission block CAN restrict use of any block to rank 5 only, or to rank 4 and 5,or any rank you want.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Question for the coder team (little happy we can say that now)

Any updates on the modding api? How much of the game do you expect us to be able to change with it? For example, do you anticipate us being able to scrap most of the gameplay elements to leave only a block base space engine with networking and build our own game ontop of that?

*edit* basically, just release the engine and a load of documentation :P

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    but faction permission block CAN restrict use of any block to rank 5 only, or to rank 4 and 5,or any rank you want.
    Here I made a short video, which shows that neither faction block, nor faction permission block can help saving storages from being opened.
    Perhaps, I am doing something wrong? If yes, let's delete my comments in this post not to junk the thread.
    Same happens if there's only a faction permission block or only a faction block installed.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Here I made a short video, which shows that neither faction block, nor faction permission block can help saving storages from being opened.
    Perhaps, I am doing something wrong? If yes, let's delete my comments in this post not to junk the thread.
    Same happens if there's only a faction permission block or only a faction block installed.
    probably a bug then,it shouldnt be like that

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The current economy relies on negligible maintenance expenses (beyond the replacement of destroyed ships) and zero renewability of any (strategic) resource. Are there any plans to implement continuous expenses (more frequent repairs, ammunition, fuel) or renewable resource sources (mining stars for fuel, non-destructive planet mining, respawning asteroids)?

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Instead of asking about development of the game, I'll break the mold and actually ask a few questions about workings of the council:

- What are current main active tasks the council works on? Are you people currently just taking a role of a filter between community's chatter and the devs or there's actually something big on the horizon council members currently deal with (barring internal organisation as I suspect that's still in the air)?

- Regarding that, is there a plan to create some feedback form council could get through?A bigger one mentioned in community's news not focused on any single aspect of the gameplay?

My reasoning is that currently plenty of thoughts, hopes, opinions are all over the place - some bigger, both open and closed-ended questions questionnaire would be quite nice, I think - in measuring what community finds to be most important, where does it invest its hopes and what it worries itself about the most, what elements of the gameplay it enjoys and what it finds bothersome, what additions/changes it expects the most, what direction and gameplay it expects to ultimately get - et cetera, plenty more potential questions I could think of myself.

While such questionnaire could be made before and results for closed questions pooled and summarized automatically, we now have council who can slog through the open-ended questions' answers and both make proper summaries and discuss points raised.

Last edited:

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Answers will be posted here,we will edit the first post in this thread,and just add all the answers as we go.
    You can see the " answered questions: none yet" up there
    Why did the council change it's mind about where the answers are posted? Did it happen to make it more obvious were one can find the answers?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Why did the council change it's mind about where the answers are posted? Did it happen to make it more obvious were one can find the answers?
    This was only posted in a new thread, so if duke would have decided to feature this thread on the front-page, it could have easily been done.
    It is also easier to link a thread, than a post, for socialmedia.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Speaking of first post updates - updating the list of council members would do us good.

Reactions: Comr4de

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Be aware that the Faction Permition block (the one with the big P on it) voids all faction protection for adjecent blocks and the groups they are in. Thought it might be helpful to post this, as it took me a year to discover! :p

Edit: Sorry for the off-topicness with the thread and all... :/