Corners fit all positions. [locked]

Reaction score
    Yes this is definitely needed, if schema does not implement this than that is a serious problem. I dont see why this is not in the game already.
    Also I agree with what puck said (6th comment down). Many times I have been making the tricky bits on my fighters and thought hmm if only therevwas another type of connector to slve this problem.+1 support for this idea. Desperately needed in the game!

eeg

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d very much love to see the OP\'s as well as Puck\'s ideas implemented in the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The Inner-wedges i can live without. But; adding the other 8 orientations for the current corner blocks would be REALLY nice.

Reaction score
    Hi,

Agreed!

What I also want is for the game to be intelligent enough to automatically determine the orientation for corners itself, so that you don\'t need to manually flick through all the different possibilities (and so that you don\'t need both \"inner corner\" and \"outer corner\" blocks if/when the game supports that).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps a universal wedge block whose orientation depends on your personal orientation as well as where it is placed, similar to the stairs in Minecraft. Maybe you could cycle through all four wedge types (the current wedge and corner blocks plus the corners suggested by Puck) with R and do away with the need for advanced building mode entirely when using wedges and corners. Wouldn\'t be perfect, but it seems better than what we\'ve got now.

Reaction score
    Schema has started to work on this problem! he has started to work on the code to make the corners fit on the sides of things, and that code is already in the game. however, as it is not finished, it has not yet been made active.

Reaction score
    unfortunately, the world isn\'t as simple as it seems on the surface.

in order to implement the last set of sideways orientations, the block (the actual physical block placed on the ship) would need to have just 1 more bit of data. if you consider the possible permutations of orientation on a corner vs other simpler block types, this might make sense, the more possible \"positions\", the more data is needed to track each given orientation.

Sadly, schema has already maxed out the usage of each bit per block without adding an entire extra byte, given that each block already is using 3 bytes, you can imagine the slowdown this could cause. He even stole an extra bit from the \"activation\" function, which is where the \"if you push R when facing a corner, it changes\" bug comes from.

Schema IS working on this, and plans to add more block shapes later on (core fire, expand content later right?)

All i can ask is this, you see how active schema is, he DOES fix simple stuff fairly quickly, so if it doesn\'t get fixed for a good deal of time..., you should probably figure that its more complex than you are estimating, i often find that to be the case.

(about the universal wedge, or any block, orientation based on player view or placement or any other number of setups, i love this idea, as an option. But its an interface/GUI improvement, and so sadly will likely have to wait until higher priority things are complete before it can be looked at.)

Reaction score
    of course making this a toggle, so the game doesnt automatically think that I want it someway when I really want it another way.

Reaction score
    I just wanted to give myself a cookie for taking the time of looking through all the threads rather than making a new one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This thread is over 5 months old.

I\'m really starting to lose it with new kids like you going around being complete brain-dead fools and bumping dead threads.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Now we are 3 :)

Let\'s start a replay chain on an old thread *just joking to take the rage away from you*

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Marathon was just trying not to add yet another topic with corner blocks, in itself an admirable gesture, if this topic weren\'t 4 months old.

Lets just make it clear that reposting is not desirable but resurrecting ancient topics ain\'t the way to do it.

FYI marathon, corner blocks are incoming in the next patch, additional rotations Im not sure about. Either way, this topic is getting a padlock, lets not dredge up this corpse any further...