copy and pasting large sections issues

Reaction score
    ok so i was using the magic of copy and paste templates along with symmetries to copy over part of my old space station to my new one in a totally legit fashion (i must have all the block to be able to paste said object)

how ever when i pasted a large section of my station i did it while i accidentally had some symmetries on. took a little bit to load everything up but it did, ok no big deal, ill jsut hit undo....

wait whats this? there were many blocks that are part of what i pasted but i did not have them in my inv, including the blue crystal armor that i had used as windows in my old world. so i expected all the blocks i did not have, to simply not get pasted.

however there were quite a few blocks pasted that i simply did not have in my inventory. like blue crystal armor. i had used it as windows in my old world, but have not crafted any in my new world. there was about 5 blocks think worth of blue crystal glass where the symmetries intersect. and all the rest was missing. but i should not have goten any at all. when i hit undo i was given bakc these blocks and ended up with about 100 or so blue crystal armor that jsut seemed to magically come from nowhere.

now i have tryed this a few times over to try and see if it happens again, but alas iv not been able to reproduce it exactly. sometimes ill get sections with a couple of blocks missing. but seems to be inconsistent. and iv not been able to "create" more crystal blocks. but i still have the 100 or so "magic" blue crystal armor i got from that last paste sitting in a "forbidden" chest. (i dont like cheating)

------
    TL : DR

basically i know theres an item dupe/creation bug somewhere with copy and paste and symmetries, but im unable to properly identified it. also iv had some seemingly random blocks missing from the paste (not many but one or two blocks here and there that left small holes that can easily be patched. and yes i had those block types in my inv)

so if you guys encounter any anomalies while copy pasting (blocks missing or blocks you dont have being placed) especially with large sections or while using symmetries, please be sure to report it here. im not writing a bug report yet as im still unable to properly reproduce or idetify the cause of the bug. but i know its there somewhere cuz im looking at these 100 or so blue crystal armor blocks that i simply should not have. be sure to look where the symmetries intersect, as that was where all my magic blue crystals generated

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you admin of your world @OdraNoel ? If so, that would explain why you can dupe items. Admins can paste blocks they don't possess at that moment.

I actually reported it as a bug once - got this answer then :p
    Solution: remove yourself as admin while playing in that world, or change your name before you play in that world. Or you could just avoid pasting blocks you don't have - but that might be hard to remember at times. So the above is the best solution.

Reaction score
    mm not too sure about the admin thing, im just playing regular SP. but there was a ton of blocks i didnt have that did NOT get pasted. and the blue crystals did not generate in all my windows, only in the windows 5 or so blocks next to the symmetry "barrier". if it had created all the windows and blocks i would have had a good few thousand blue crystals generated.

i also had a few grey standar armor wedges (for chairs and tables) that i did not have in my inv also get pasted. only seemed to happen with the grey standard armor as i had a ton of colored chairs and tables that did not get pasted either. so if it was the admin thing as you say it should be pasting all block regardless if i have them or not. but in this case i was inconsistently getting a select few blocks being created/placed. so there must be some kind of bug somewhere. ill test it more when i get home later, but for now i gota head out to work.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    All duplication issues regarding copy/paste were only client side, and not on server side.
    Visible for the 'common' paste resulting in mass of debris being spawned, when the client pasted blocks it did virtually have, and the server reverted them, the client then read this as blocks being destroyed.

Currently there are a few issues with multi-slots.
    Some of them are fixed in dev-builds but not all.

So when 'finding' a dupe bug, logout, wipe client-database and login again to get fresh values from the server, to see you really have those blocks.

- Andy[DOUBLEPOST=1413662999,1413662938][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Are you admin of your world @OdraNoel ? If so, that would explain why you can dupe items. Admins can paste blocks they don't possess at that moment.

I actually reported it as a bug once - got this answer then :p
    Solution: remove yourself as admin while playing in that world, or change your name before you play in that world. Or you could just avoid pasting blocks you don't have - but that might be hard to remember at times. So the above is the best solution.
    Not true anymore, pasting without enough blocks does not work anymore.
    Feature got removed. =)

Reaction score
    im playing in single player, so im not sure if its the same or not. and im not sure how to wipe the client. but if i log out and back in i sitll have those 119 (to be exact) blue crystal armor blocks. (which the game gave me when i click undo on the symmetried paste of a large section of space station from another build. it had pasted these blocks, that i have never crafted yet in this world, within 4 or 5 blocks of the symmetries barrier and no where else on my station. so when i clicked undo it returned all my block including the blue crystal ones it "glitched in")

if SP is same as playing on a server then ill try a client wipe. and see if that helps, and also try and recreate the effect if possible.