Coolest StarMade thing I've experienced in a while [GIF]

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Normally this would've been posted as a progress report on my shipyard thread, but... CHECK THIS OUT!

This random ship project went to places I didn't foresee, and I certainly didn't know that GIFs like the ones below are even possible.

Look at that cute (but extremely powerful) turret as it tries to break free from the ship's "magnetic jaws":
    I like to think it's screaming "Get me out of this SPIN-and-roll hell" 🤟 ;)

If anyone reading has any other random piece of coolness, please share it with us, SMD ain't too lively lately.

6.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Probably the first floating turret ive seen that covers enough degrees to work properly and doesnt look awful. very nice (y)
    Minor thing: it looks like the turret might block the torpedo (?) tubes.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Probably the first floating turret ive seen that covers enough degrees to work properly and doesnt look awful. very nice (y)
    Minor thing: it looks like the turret might block the torpedo (?) tubes.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.
    I've seen others use such a design too, to great avail, and I'd say there's a kind of beauty to such minimalistic sphere turrets.
    And yeah, it would've been nice to have those hull openings as torpedo outputs, but right, the turret is in their way.

If anyone's interested, I'd like to show two other nice examples of free-floating turrets...
    Here's a station that's protected by four units of a turret design made to resemble the drone from 'Oblivion' (2013 movie):
    Quasar E77 - The Mysterious Science Station
    And here's an experimental vertical "island ship", made out of five identical corvette-sized hulls, two of which are floating turrets:
    Gator patrol corvette quintet

Also, if someone wants to check them out ingame, here's the Eratosthenes Mk1 destroyer ship, and the Eratosthenes turret, as shown below.

An illustration of the aiming limits, at least when trying to have all four beams avoiding the main entity:
    1616984222561.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Love the turret, love the ship! Can't see the gif, sadly, maybe a bad connection or its been deleted by the host server?

I've made a handful of sphere turrets too, but yours takes the cake for cosmetics.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Normally this would've been posted as a progress report on my shipyard thread, but... CHECK THIS OUT!

This random ship project went to places I didn't foresee, and I certainly didn't know that GIFs like the ones below are even possible.

Look at that cute (but extremely powerful) turret as it tries to break free from the ship's "magnetic jaws":
    I like to think it's screaming "Get me out of this SPIN-and-roll hell" 🤟 ;)

If anyone reading has any other random piece of coolness, please share it with us, SMD ain't too lively lately.

Nice. Always good to see another player making near-full-coverage turrets.

😎(y)

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Love the turret, love the ship! Can't see the gif, sadly, maybe a bad connection or its been deleted by the host server?

I've made a handful of sphere turrets too, but yours takes the cake for cosmetics.
    Cool right? :D
    When I put GIFs in spoilers, they tend to take a while to load in after you open the spoiler. Here's the download page for the ship, there's a GIF in a spoiler at the bottom showing the finished ship in action: Eratosthenes Mk1 destroyer

Nice. Always good to see another player making near-full-coverage turrets.

😎(y)
    Thanks! Glad you like it :)