conventonal weapon idea

do you like the idea

• i like the idea of conventional weapons, just maybe not working the way suggested here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    maybe add a weapon type that, instead of firing lasers or missiles or beams or stuff like that, fires a bullet, and this could maybe be useless in space as it would just flout of or not fire at all, but in an atmosphere of a planet, it would be rather useful and might even ignore shields

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    well sorta, i was thinking shotgun or machine guns, but cannons work (assuming you mean age of sail cannons since thats the cannons im familiar with)
    Eh... I mean, there are already cannons in the game. And linking them to various systems can produce machine guns or artillery cannons and most everything in between. I'm told that Pulse weapons are good as shotgun-type attacks, damage spread over an area, but I have as yet to make a Pulse system that does appreciable damage to my liking.

Reaction score
    Eh... I mean, there are already cannons in the game. And linking them to various systems can produce machine guns or artillery cannons and most everything in between. I'm told that Pulse weapons are good as shotgun-type attacks, damage spread over an area, but I have as yet to make a Pulse system that does appreciable damage to my liking.
    yea i understand, but those are plasma and laser weapons, and like, a bullet isn't a laser, and this would make it that you would need thicker hulls ant that but i do get your point

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Not trying to be a dream crusher, I promise. It was a struggle for me when I first found Starmade. I wanted to throw out a half dozen ideas for weapons immediately, but as I analyzed my ideas, I kept finding there were existing combos that could do the job. A decent artillery cannon will put deep punctures in even advanced hulls. I have one on my exploration ship, I use it to sever turrets off of aggressive space stations and disable weapon computers on Isanths. I also considered the physical force of a bullet weapon, but there's already the push support system. It's tough finding a weapon idea that isn't already at least moderately covered by some combination that already exists.

Reaction score
    Not trying to be a dream crusher, I promise. It was a struggle for me when I first found Starmade. I wanted to throw out a half dozen ideas for weapons immediately, but as I analyzed my ideas, I kept finding there were existing combos that could do the job. A decent artillery cannon will put deep punctures in even advanced hulls. I have one on my exploration ship, I use it to sever turrets off of aggressive space stations and disable weapon computers on Isanths. I also considered the physical force of a bullet weapon, but there's already the push support system. It's tough finding a weapon idea that isn't already at least moderately covered by some combination that already exists.
    ok firstly, im not new to starmade, and also i understand. lets just see what others think.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cannons or you could call them mass drivers are already in game. Anything that fires a bullet in atmosphere will fly okay in space.

But did you mean a cannon specifically for planetary combat that is effected by planetary gravity and maybe slowed down by atmosphere? So you can have cannons that follow ballistic trajectories?

Reaction score
    Cannons or you could call them mass drivers are already in game. Anything that fires a bullet in atmosphere will fly okay in space.

But did you mean a cannon specifically for planetary combat that is effected by planetary gravity and maybe slowed down by atmosphere? So you can have cannons that follow ballistic trajectories?
    yeah that's what i meant, the ballistic trajectory thing

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What you seem to be asking for is for gravity to affect projectiles in some way to simulate bullet drop. Thats fine but no one fight near gravity wells often enough to bother most folks. perhaps have a look at From the Depths?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    We pretty much have this right now. Adding the pull of gravity to projectiles wouldn't add enough to the game imo to warrent the trouble of implementing it. However if you are also calling for expendable ammo then, im on board with you.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry man, I gotta agree with everybody else.

We have cannons in the game. You can make them into machine guns or giant siege cannons by changing the slaves. There would be no trajectory in space, and nobody would take even a semi-medium sized ship near enough to a planet for trajectory from gravity to be taken into account.

Reaction score
    Sorry man, I gotta agree with everybody else.

We have cannons in the game. You can make them into machine guns or giant siege cannons by changing the slaves. There would be no trajectory in space, and nobody would take even a semi-medium sized ship near enough to a planet for trajectory from gravity to be taken into account.
    most "semi-medium ships" are bigger than the default planets anyways you could be in the core of the planet and still have the nose of your ship sticking out of the atmosphere so even if you did get close enough to the planet for your ship to be effected by gravity your bullets still wouldn't be lol

Reaction score
    That's my point I suppose. What you want are terrestrial weapons. Starmade does not and will not have those. We're in space.
    well, i didnt say these would be effective in space, there are planets

We pretty much have this right now. Adding the pull of gravity to projectiles wouldn't add enough to the game imo to warrent the trouble of implementing it. However if you are also calling for expendable ammo then, im on board with you.
    yea exploding ammo works, while you can make your lasers explode currently exploding bullets work to.