Constantly getting "Warning server doesn't answer (5 sec)"

Reaction score
    I checked 20+ similar topics, none have done anything for me.
    I log into a server, good ping (>40), and after usually about one or two minutes I get the message and have to disconnect/reconnect and do it again....
    Even while server is "not responding", I am the only one online. No large ships in vicinity, not in a gravity well, and low ping throughout all of this.
    Allocated 6gb of ram, nothing. Here's my specs straight from the diagnostic in the sticky:

SMC -- Starmade Checker Tool
    (System Diagnostic Tool for determining if Starmade will run)
    version 1.7
    Test 1 of 3: Windows version detection.

Windows 7 detected!
    64 bit version detected

Test 2 of 3: Hardware detection
    Creating info reports (this may take a while)....
    Searching report for useful data....

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz...
    Memory: 6144MB RAM...

Hooray! You have an Nvidia card (Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M )! This means you
    can probably run Starmade!

Test 3 of 3: Java version
    Yay! You have a 64-bit version of Java 8! Starmade can run!

TESTS DONE! :D
    Press any key to continue . . .
    What else can I do?
    EDIT: BTW This is on a multiplayer server

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Check there's no one else on your network. This happens to me a lot when my bros are using the WiFi with their consoles, when they're off its fine.
    Otherwise the server might be at fault? Try changing to another server.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    crybllrd
    1. do not assign 6GB out of your 6 GB Ram to the game. 4096/2048/1024 in the settings for memory is plenty enough.
    2. search in your nvidia control center for the java settings and make that run exclusive on your nvidia GPU. it could be it is otherwise excecuted through the CPU internal GPU (not 100% sure but an i5 should have one)
    see point 2 from here -> https://starmade.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000543135-unusual-bad-game-performance
    3. what Jamster said ... could be a Wifi problem (packet loss and such). try a hardwire line to the router if possible to test that

Reaction score
    Thanks, I re-assigned 4096GB RAM, and setup JAVA to run on my high performance card (it was,, in fact, running on the onboard card).
    Now, after about a minute or two of playing, right about that time when i would get that error, I now get a EOFException crash.
    This is beyond frustrating.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    oO .. now i feel a bit bad for having given that advice.
    That is totaly unexpected to be honest.
    in your Starmade/logs folder should be a logs.txt.x file (the one with the time stamp from the EOFException) and a grapicssomething.txt are you able to append those files here (or upload them somewhere else) to let us take a look.
    And maybe add the exact description what Laptop you are using (with the model type number thing from the manufacturer to identify its hardware composition).
    Then some one here maybe sees it imidiatly or we have to poke the Support Team for it.