Concerning the HP system mentioned briefly months ago

Reaction score
    I remember Calibri was talking about a HP system instead of the current "Destroy the core to destroy the ship" system we currently have. Has anything more said about this? Is it still being worked on?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Unknown. Literally. I haven't heard anything about that for a while. The only detail we have is that it make sure that the ship can't be killed in one shot.

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Still planned, as far as we know. That's about all we know.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'm not even sure the devs know or have worked on it. I talked to calbiri about it in depth once and well he didn't reveal anything at all. He also was against my proposals which, while not applicable in real life, would have made sense for a gameplay mechanic.

I really have no idea how they intend to do it. Calbiri wanted to be able to shoot straight through a ship, even if armor blocks were there Basically no health pool based on armor (if there was one, it wouldn't server much of a purpose). I am betting the core is invulnerable until a % of the ship is destroyed. Or you are auto ejected/killed once that % of the ship is destroyed. I guess it makes sense. I am still kind of against that. If heavily favors shielding over armor count still, in that I just need to destroy more of the ship for an instant kill instead of just the core. People can blow through armor easily as is, now they just have to do it for slightly longer. Doesn't seem like it will make much of a difference.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd rather have it so there are separate systems to disable, actually destroying a ship would be very difficult.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wish armor actually mattered beyond fighter battles. It would be fantastic, in that HOW you built your ship (beyond just how much stuff is in it) mattered. I think it would add a lot more depth to the construction phase of the game.

Imho, i'd rather have longer battles with less powerful weapons, than the shooty fests we have now, where the first hit wins.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    If shipyards are introduced, it is entirely possible that saving a ship and altering it will only happen withing their vicinity. If this is true then it might be possible to have ship systems be disabled by fights or as a result of other situations. A ship would keep track of values that were on the blueprint when it was constructed, and after destroying certain portions of those systems it could disable them or weaken them significantly. If it were ever implemented that is how I imagine it working.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Ship combat is pretty great now, but it could be improved. Its not that important.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ship combat is pretty great now, but it could be improved. Its not that important.
    ...Incorrect. Ship combat is a core game mechanic, and right now, while fun, it's... lacking in quite a few areas.

Personally, I agree with the idea of disabling subsystems rather than the entire ship. That way (I'd hope) one could choose between powerful but fragile single blocks of systems, and much harder to defeat, but less efficient, modular designs, with redundant systems scattered around the ship. (This would include thrusters - I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of grouping bonus for those again along with the ability to disable subsystems.)

I also want hull to have some sort of innate (and unique, besides possibly glass, doors, ingots, and crystals) 'shielding' (Armor points) that requires a certain amount of total damage to hull and other "armor" blocks before they can be broken. The only problem is that this limits exterior creativity... But there's probably a solution to that somewhere that I'm just not noticing.

Last edited:

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If shipyards are introduced, it is entirely possible that saving a ship and altering it will only happen withing their vicinity. If this is true then it might be possible to have ship systems be disabled by fights or as a result of other situations. A ship would keep track of values that were on the blueprint when it was constructed, and after destroying certain portions of those systems it could disable them or weaken them significantly. If it were ever implemented that is how I imagine it working.
    I'd rather there be a repair mechanic that automatically takes blocks from your inventory and replaces the broken/ missing blocks from the blueprint. That would be fantastic :D

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I'd rather there be a repair mechanic that automatically takes blocks from your inventory and replaces the broken/ missing blocks from the blueprint. That would be fantastic :D
    A repair mechanic and what I explained do not have anything in common. A repair mechanic that you described is confirmed. Whether it can work on your own ship however is unknown.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I wish armor actually mattered beyond fighter battles. It would be fantastic, in that HOW you built your ship (beyond just how much stuff is in it) mattered. I think it would add a lot more depth to the construction phase of the game.

Imho, i'd rather have longer battles with less powerful weapons, than the shooty fests we have now, where the first hit wins.
    Armor does matter if you add appropriate defence effect (Piercing, I think).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Armor does matter if you add appropriate defence effect (Piercing, I think).
    That shouldn't be necessary. If that's the only way to make it relevant, I might as well just add more shield capacity; more mass-effective.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They could make it so HP needs to be down before blocks can be destroyed..

So Shield first, then hull amount, then block destruction. This would make hull a bit more important. (So Shielding + Structural integrity = Overall resilience?)

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I still want shields to be superior because well, since when have you seen a ship that's armour tanks all the damage with no shields ( not including wraith, because that is from lack of technology not choice)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That shouldn't be necessary. If that's the only way to make it relevant, I might as well just add more shield capacity; more mass-effective.
    Probably. I think that the upcoming HP system should at least partially eliminate this problem. But that's slightly off-topic :p

Reaction score
    Thanks for all your input and responses guys, I appreciate it. I've been trying to keep up on the updates with the game, but I apparently missed some so wanted to know if the revamped HP system was still in the works, or if anymore had been said about it.

As I understood it, blocks being destroyed was still going to be the same as it is now. So individual blocks getting hit would destroy that block, and any sort of function that block had along with it. However, the HP System had two things to go along with it. One, destroying the core no longer destroys the ship. It's the HP that destroys the ship. Two, as you lose HP, there will be chances of having whatever remaining systems you have to malfunction.

So let's say you're actually firing on the thrusters of a ship and destroy a handful of them. The ship loses thrust, and HP. Let's say the HP gets low enough to trigger a malfunction chance, and their weapons malfunction as a result. This is the basic understanding of the HP system that I had.

There was also talks of making this easier to repair ships. Because the game "finalizes" your ship when you got out of build mode, there will be devices that restore lost blocks based on your most recent "save." This means repair stations or Triage ships will be an option.

I liked this system as it was explained, but never heard anything about it from Schema, only Calibri.

As for the current system, I don't like it. AIs only target the cores, and combat with AIs is boring as a result. Player combat is more interesting, but one good volley can destroy an entire ship. While part of me likes that idea, I think it needs to be worked on.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I still want shields to be superior because well, since when have you seen a ship that's armour tanks all the damage with no shields
    *Points at "Aldnoah.Zero"* They do have shields there, but they can't cover themselves in them completely due to the shields being invincible.
    Now, what does this have to do with armor tanking tons of damage without shields?
    Just watch:

And to stay on topic:
    From what I know, it will come, soon™.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Those are mechs are they not, not space warships... Anyway, lack of shields is terrible because the radiation of hyperspace kills the people inside, the wraith only pull it of because their ships are Extremely dense (you don't want to know how they are made)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Those are mechs are they not, not space warships... Anyway, lack of shields is terrible because the radiation of hyperspace kills the people inside, the wraith only pull it of because their ships are Extremely dense (you don't want to know how they are made)
    In the first scene, yes, but that just explains the shields.
    In the second scene it is a landing-castle "descending" from orbit.