Completely grief-proof way of faction homebase capturing.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How about this, split damage reduction per base.
    If you only have one base, it's 100% damage reduction, or invulnerability.
    If you have two bases they each get 50% damage reduction.
    3 is 33%, 4 is 25%, etc etc.

This way, the larger the faction, the more spread out, and the more vulnerable to damage they become. Bigger faction, bigger target.

As a faction get weaker they get pushed back and more protected. Eventually the losing faction will be limited to a single (probably damaged) base. They won't be able to be wiped out completely and will have some sort of facility to rebuild from.
    NO!
    That is no better than our current system; people will just stick in a single base with 100% protection and never do anything to anyone else because everyone else is too. And in the event that someone actually did split up protection to more than 2 bases or so, someone would look up their location(s) and blow up their bases while all their members were offline.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think the biggest problem we would run into would be attacks against a faction home base when none of its members were online.
    So far there have been several suggestions that might help reduce the possibility of these attacks, but I still feel like we would be doing a serious disservice to new players who are just joining the game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think the biggest problem we would run into would be attacks against a faction home base when none of its members were online.
    So far there have been several suggestions that might help reduce the possibility of these attacks, but I still feel like we would be doing a serious disservice to new players who are just joining the game.
    Judging from current plans I'd say that new players could temporarily join the Trading Guild to get some funds and resources together, then leave to create their own faction... Remember, not everyone will want, or need their own private faction eventually.

Reactions: thatothermitch
    Reaction score
    A possible suggestion, allow the factions to choose if they want the information for their home base to be listed when they make the home base. Of course the data would still be known to the faction members, but not readily known to the rest of the universe. Then the only way to find the supposed home base would be to recon the area and verify that the station is in fact the faction you are looking for.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    NO!
    That is no better than our current system; people will just stick in a single base with 100% protection and never do anything to anyone else because everyone else is too. And in the event that someone actually did split up protection to more than 2 bases or so, someone would look up their location(s) and blow up their bases while all their members were offline.
    You need to build more bases to claim more space and more resources.
    If they stick to a single base, they are no threat. If anything, they survive purely by trading.
    And you can still blockade and blow up any ship that undocks.

I suppose I have less faith in humanity then you. But my experience is that everyone is a griefer when you turn your back. If I had my preference PvP would be completely eliminated from the game. That's not going to happen. And someone will find a way around any system that gets put in place and be a complete asshole to new players. At which point it becomes a problem for the ineffectual, never on, admins.

There is a reason I don't play on public servers.

Anyway, my $0.02.
    Moving on...

Reaction score
    Hmmm I would that that a combination of defensive emplacements, better shielding for stations, AI controlled defensive ships, and making faction stations in general harder to find might be a decent place to start if we were to begin considering making home bases vulnerable

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I really see no reason to accept a war request unless the opposing faction knows they can win. But there are 2 sides I believe the other faction would realize this and decline. By the time a faction actually sends you a war request they would already be on top of your station. There really is no "reward" here why would you give up your station for the slim chance you could destroy the enemies? Because if the other faction were to agree to a war request they might win or actually have a chance. Only an incredibly stupid faction would agree to one of these.

Reaction score
    Okay, I've said this before in other threads. Make it configurable. If a server wants to be more of a PVE server then let the home-base/headquarters be invincible to prevent loss. If they want more of a PVP type server then make the various variables configurable as well to control shield regen etc. on stations.

I would even think this could be applied to galaxies maybe or systems. So you could have a PVP galexy on a server and a PVE galaxy to keep the play styles apart.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's hard to come up with a suggestion for bases, stations while they are so woefully weak compared to ships.
    Currently you would be hard pressed to make a turret or turrets on a station capable of seriously hurting a large ship let alone killing it.
    On the server I play on I've had to make turrets to keep away motherships. Only had to use them once so far, and I highly doubt that fella is coming back after his 112mil shields vanished in one hit.

If you completely destroy someone's bases, you have destroyed everything they have worked for, and you have likely stripped them of any resources they have to start rebuilding with. Plus, you've established yourself as a dick who completely wipes people out. Nobody is going to stay on a server after that happens to them, because its a safe bet that if they manage to build up again, you'd just come wipe them out again. It basically kicks people off the server.
    I've had to completely restart numerous times on numerous servers because of badmins and resets. Although it sucks, its not too hard and as long as you have your stuff blueprinted you'll eventually step back up to the mantle. If invulnerability was optional with war or whatever then you'd be fine to rebuild without any threat as long as you don't choose to fight anyone.

Okay, I've said this before in other threads. Make it configurable. If a server wants to be more of a PVE server then let the home-base/headquarters be invincible to prevent loss. If they want more of a PVP type server then make the various variables configurable as well to control shield regen etc. on stations.

I would even think this could be applied to galaxies maybe or systems. So you could have a PVP galexy on a server and a PVE galaxy to keep the play styles apart.
    This would be great. Annihilation is a part of PvP, and I can understand why certain people might want to just play and build rather than fight instead.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That is what ya call hard core. Like racing for pink slips. I think the devs have the right idea with one base being invulnerable. It means you have a one sector toe-hold. We can already loose all our expansions to other factions. It's the only way you don't get wiped off a server.

But... If it were an option that could be set in the server.cfg file, then why not?

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

That's the right idea. But I guess we can have a system where rather than have a PvP area and a PvE area, then we can just have a setting for factions whether they consent to PvP or not, however, this can only be chosen once the faction is created, and if you're a PvE faction and you want to switch to PvP, then you'll either have to get an admin who hasn't been in your faction for the last 48 hours to do it, or you can create a new faction, as to prevent factions from no longer consenting to PvP once someone declares war on them.

Also, on the subject of declaring war, there shouldn't be an accept thing. If you're going to go to war with someone, you're not exactly going to say "Sir, I'm coming to blow up your shit" you'll just attack, so if this is going to be a thing, it should only be a matter of a faction declaring war on another, and that = war.

Reactions: Ithirahad