Suggestion Community Content versioning

Commnity Content by SM version

• Content version and allow search/filter by version

• Content version but no filtering/searching

• No content versioning, let the designer add it or not (as it is now)

• Retire old content (hide), let designer update it to relist

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I made a suggestion in the game suggestion forum bit perhaps it should be here instead (being it's website related and not really part of the 'game' itself). The original post is here Community Content (pre-rails separation).

What I suggest is a simply flag on uploaded Community Content as to the version (of SM) the design is current to (defaulting the searches to more current ships). Some older designed are highly rated but haven't been updated in many months, any new players wouldn't even have the docking and turret modules needed to make/modify these designs. I'm not even sure a shipyard could spawn them.

Changes in weapons, power balance and many other changes might make an apparently popular & highly rated download a very frustrating 1st 'dip' into the Community Content of a newer StarMade player. As a 'designer' and regular poster of CC items I often find my older designs can stop working (weapons don't fire because a power outage from rebalance) and need revision. Luckily I sometimes get PMs weeks after the update to let me know something is broken but how many players just got frustrated and figured it's 'broken'.

Here are some suggested changes I believe might help:
    • SM Build version included in the CC items listing (could be done simply by upload/revision date)
    • Designer notification of 'older content' being moved off the main listing, a gentle reminder their content is not being displayed by default searches anymore.
    • CC search option by version number (current or between a range of version) using check boxes or a variable range (the < > = >= <= syntax)
    • Apply to all the various CC sections applicable though 'current' might have different settings in each area (skins have only changed once really but rails changed everything and MODS might be affected even greater)
    • Update 'Popular list' to only include content that is current to major releases (rails or major rebalances and changes that might 'break' previous version designs)