Colour Changing Lights

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    With the new logic changable displays I was thinking that a similar mechanic could be applied to lights.

Imagine if you will a system of green lights in your station. Attached to an enemy detection system, the logic could trigger these lights to change to red. Not two lights next to each other but the same light cube/rod. Once the danger has past, the logic would change these lights back to green.

Similar indicators could be applied to anything the sensor blocks are attached to, such as red, orange and green on storage blocks for example.

It would save some space in ships/stations and allow for some cool lighting effects and the mechanics behind this appears to now exist in the game so should be an easy enough addition.

Reaction score
    I think this has been suggested before. But I still like the idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    It would be nice if you could turn lights into other lights with logic, like we do with rails.
    Switching lights in a room would be so much easier, and look nicer as well. So I am all for the idea, but wile we are on lights and logic. Can we have it so we can link all lights in a group with shift v. One at a time is so tedious.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    It would be nice if you could turn lights into other lights with logic, like we do with rails.
    Switching lights in a room would be so much easier, and look nicer as well. So I am all for the idea, but wile we are on lights and logic. Can we have it so we can link all lights in a group with shift v. One at a time is so tedious.
    You can only select in blocks of 3 I think. Also, you cannot use the replace tool on light cubes (at least) as I just discovered. I wanted to change an orange light to a green but it simply deleted it.

Reaction score
    it's a good idea but the obvious difference between lights and rails is that with rails you are using the same block, just changing orientation. With lights, each color is a different block so this could be exploited to prevent having to buy/craft all the different colors. To solve this, there would need to be a new block - a multi-colored light - crafted by combining existing lights, then this block would be capable of displaying any color that was used during crafting - changeable via logic.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Here is spin on the OP that has the added benefit of introducing more color in the game:

Allow one or more light-blocks to be C-V linked to your 'indicator light (just a standard light-block. Rather that switching between two colors, have the new color of light combined with the target light's color to emit a blended color. You could use this system to achieve the 'red-alert' kind of indicator-function plus it opens up new decorating choices.

New colors of armor require new block-IDs but...new shades of accent colored light are possible by mixing colored light. To increase the tones available Schine could allow more than one 'shader' light-blocks to be linked to a the target light (similar to rail speed-controllers) The target light would still be a single block with a single light source but the color could be dialed in with color-slaving.

Reaction score
    it's a good idea but the obvious difference between lights and rails is that with rails you are using the same block, just changing orientation. With lights, each color is a different block so this could be exploited to prevent having to buy/craft all the different colors. To solve this, there would need to be a new block - a multi-colored light - crafted by combining existing lights, then this block would be capable of displaying any color that was used during crafting - changeable via logic.
    Actually you can change a rail for a rotater so this is already in place

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    Here is spin on the OP that has the added benefit of introducing more color in the game:

Allow one or more light-blocks to be C-V linked to your 'indicator light (just a standard light-block. Rather that switching between two colors, have the new color of light combined with the target light's color to emit a blended color. You could use this system to achieve the 'red-alert' kind of indicator-function plus it opens up new decorating choices.

New colors of armor require new block-IDs but...new shades of accent colored light are possible by mixing colored light. To increase the tones available Schine could allow more than one 'shader' light-blocks to be linked to a the target light (similar to rail speed-controllers) The target light would still be a single block with a single light source but the color could be dialed in with color-slaving.
    And add a setting in e shader somehow so it completely replaced the old light- it would make no sense to have christmas themed alert lights or instead of a blackout it just fades everything.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would also like to be able to link light blocks to point light invisible objects. Then I can place those lights anywhere. And then, if we can have multiple composite lights to create various different hues at the same light source, say hello to any-color ship-hulls.

Reaction score
    That's not necessarily true. You can swap different rails not just orientation.

Reaction score
    what if
    and yes I know this be allot of work for everyone

remove all the light colors rods blocks etc freeing up some ID's

then
    make one rod and one block

the initial light will be 255,255,255 or web FF FF FF
    or as most of you know it WHITE

but lets say you don't want white lights ?

attach a monitor to it
    and fill in a web Color like
    (ffff00ff) making the linked light turn yellow with full bloom where the last ff stands for the amount of bloom effect
    or
    (255,255,0,255)

(ffff0000) making the linked light turn yellow with no bloom
    or
    (255,255,0,0)

the cons
    all the ships prior to a patch inserting this feature will all have white lights and will need to be recolored, so allot of work
    some people will have problems with color codes

the pros
    any color can be made
    it can be dynamically altered with the current monitor feature of switching content of its monitor
    no more replacing lights if you need a different color .. just fill in the desired color in the attached monitor
    a set of ID numbers getting free for other uses
    attached weapons can have more fine tuned colors
    people that want to make giant computer screens can address the color of each block

takes cover behind a concrete wall for incoming fire squad
    >.<

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    With the new logic changable displays I was thinking that a similar mechanic could be applied to lights.

Imagine if you will a system of green lights in your station. Attached to an enemy detection system, the logic could trigger these lights to change to red. Not two lights next to each other but the same light cube/rod. Once the danger has past, the logic would change these lights back to green.

Similar indicators could be applied to anything the sensor blocks are attached to, such as red, orange and green on storage blocks for example.

It would save some space in ships/stations and allow for some cool lighting effects and the mechanics behind this appears to now exist in the game so should be an easy enough addition.
    Yes.

Most definitely, yes. If rails can change, why can't lights?
    [doublepost=1476875178,1476874937][/doublepost]
    what if

then

attach a monitor to it
    (ffff00ff) making the linked light turn yellow with full bloom where the last ff stands for the amount of bloom effect
    or
    (255,255,0,255)

or
    (255,255,0,0)

the cons
    all the ships prior to a patch inserting this feature will all have white lights and will need to be recolored, so allot of work

the pros
    any color can be made
    it can be dynamically altered with the current monitor feature of switching content of its monitor
    no more replacing lights if you need a different color .. just fill in the desired color in the attached monitor
    people that want to make giant computer screens can address the color of each block

>.<
    I like this idea, but I do not think all lights would need to be changed to white. Why not just make existing color blocks change to the new system with the correct settings for their existing color? This would be accomplished by allowing the light to retain the settings even when the display monitor is removed. However, when the block is picked up, it turns into a white light and would need to be re-programmed later. Copying and pasting one of these light blocks would also duplicate the color though.

Reactions: wanzer
    Reaction score
    Usually I am totally of ADDING stuff NEVER EVER take away anything in any mmo
    but :/..
    In resent posts it has dawned to me that the number of things we can have in starmade is limited by the amount of ID's.
    And at some point we will run out.

Someone stated that you can increase the number of ID's by adding a digit making it expand but at the cost of a loading speed that will be significant.

so why keep the old lights when we can make them with color tuning?
    And having some freed up ID's.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Usually I am totally of ADDING stuff NEVER EVER take away anything in any mmo
    but :/..
    In resent posts it has dawned to me that the number of things we can have in starmade is limited by the amount of ID's.

Someone stated that you can increase the number of ID's by adding a digit making it expand but at the cost of a loading speed that will be significant.

so why keep the old lights when we can make them with color tuning?
    And having some freed up ID's.
    MineCraft initially had ID's as well, but then moved to a system that allowed a much, much greater number of blocks (and also helped mods not bump heads if they tried to declare the same number for different block id's, thus crashing the game). I imagine StarMade may move to a similar system later once mods start coming out in full force.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    what if

then

attach a monitor to it
    or
    (255,255,0,255)

or
    (255,255,0,0)

the cons

the pros
    any color can be made

>.<
    I like it. What I would change though is keep all the current lights, and add one new light that is crafted by combining a red, green, and blue light in a factory to make a new color-changeable RGB light which can be configured via logic/display blocks.

Reaction score
    well
    if starmade divides its blocks up in groups
    chunk 1 is all the armor, rail docking
    chunk 2 is all the weapons, effects, lights
    and chunk 3 for logics, buttons, misc

then the chunk number is the added ID digit
    but starmade wont need to read that number out for each block

chunk-idea.png

Last edited:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Didn't Schine announce that the # of available block-IDs has been greatly increased? I got the impression that this was not really an issue anymore.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Didn't Schine announce that the # of available block-IDs has been greatly increased? I got the impression that this was not really an issue anymore.
    No, not yet. He hinted that he would increase the number of available IDs in the future, but as of now, it's still about 2,047. It will be increased in the future.

That increase will probably coincide with a big optimization update that will require a long time to re-arrange things and re-build structures, similar to the recent update that changed chunks from 16^3 to 32^3.