Cockpits. Like, COCKPITS. No, you... person, you get to sit in a seat and drive.

Support?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Cockpits. Like, COCKPITS. No, you... person, you get to sit in a seat and drive.

Instead of just simply having you go into a ship core and enter a camera. No... you go to a new seat block, and right click on that cockpit you placed with the sticking-out controller handle... steering... sticks?

Anyway, I just think it'd add realism/more of that epic (general feeling) of being in a moving ship and gravity.

And, for pirates and other NPCs, you can see those evil/friendly faces in the cockpit, driving.

So, support?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Already suggested, already planned. But yes, I agree. Not sure about the steering sticks though?

Reaction score

Instead of just simply having you go into a ship core and enter a camera. No... you go to a new seat block, and right click on that cockpit you placed with the sticking-out controller handle... steering... sticks?

Anyway, I just think it'd add realism/more of that epic (general feeling) of being in a moving ship and gravity.

And, for pirates and other NPCs, you can see those evil/friendly faces in the cockpit, driving.

So, support?
    What would happen to the cockpits that are already on ships. Will they just turn into seats? Because it would look really weird for all the cockpits that are on the outside of ships, if they turn into random seats on the outside of the ship. And if you want to fix that problem most people would put their cockpits on their bridge, and since there are bugs where you can't see certain weapons fire from behind glass. So there wouldn't be any reasonable place to put them without them looking weird or not working properly.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Like most of that, but it kinda ruins the fun of imagining what the pirates actually are. I personally like to think they're a type of fungus.

EDIT: yes, it's an actual thing I wrote:
    If you look closely, you can see pillars in very much like the one in those empty stations. I think that they took over the stations and added a centrifuge and other things (out of pure flashy, of course) and that, pirates are, in fact, a fungus. Seriously, think about it. You never see one of them, because they grow inside the ship! They don't have a logo, because they don't need one, they're a fungus!

The tentacles? I think those are large pirates. These ones, when broken open, release spores. The automated turrets, by the way, are defending the loot. The ones on planets are a non-sapient subspecies.
    If people want I can stick my second post explaining their origin. On another thread. Because I don't want to derail it

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What would happen to the cockpits that are already on ships. Will they just turn into seats? Because it would look really weird for all the cockpits that are on the outside of ships, if they turn into random seats on the outside of the ship. And if you want to fix that problem most people would put their cockpits on their bridge, and since there are bugs where you can't see certain weapons fire from behind glass. So there wouldn't be any reasonable place to put them without them looking weird or not working properly.
    Nah. The current SD Cockpits would be renamed to "Camera" and remain as they are, as an alternate viewpoint for your cockpit.

Reaction score
    Well, my idea was that there is a seat block, and the cockpit becomes a control panel. :)

Reaction score
    Nah. The current SD Cockpits would be renamed to "Camera" and remain as they are, as an alternate viewpoint for your cockpit.
    Yeah I think it should just stay as it is, an alternative viewpoint.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, my idea was that there is a seat block, and the cockpit becomes a control panel. :)
    How about:
    Cockpit = camera
    Core = seat + controller.
    Seat = just a seat, gains hot-keys and cameras from a controller.
    Controller = configurable hot-key bars and slaved cameras/computers/...​

That allows passenger-seats (without linked controller).
    It allows multiple seats with the same functionality (if player a in seat a presses W and player b in seat b presses S, your thrust is forward and backward!!! if either fires a weapon, it fires), thus you may restrict access to thrusters for some seats, ...

More complex to setup, but makes everybody happy while using mostly existing features (from logic)

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    How about:
    Cockpit = camera

It allows multiple seats with the same functionality (if player a in seat a presses W and player b in seat b presses S, your thrust is forward and backward!!! if either fires a weapon, it fires), thus you may restrict access to thrusters for some seats, ...

More complex to setup, but makes everybody happy while using mostly existing features (from logic)
    I... no, but if I tweak the idea...

Display module from decoration area: camera display.

Camera = cockpit controller

new camera

Core = core

Seat = sit down to drive?

Hows that.

Reaction score
    How about:
    Cockpit = camera

I like it. I assume that you are implying the core would function as is, but the seat would be a visual seat Dave actually sat in?

Seats and Controllers should be able to have faction permission modules under them as well. Should be separate, so in a small ship the co-pilot chair can double as a passenger chair for non-faction members (put a faction module under the chair only), but also still have the ability to create other weapon station chairs that you can fill with non-faction hired personnel if your ship design needs it.

EDIT:
    You would also need a way of defining if the controller block can control thrust or not, as you probably will want to have chairs with controls that only have control over weapons.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like it. I assume that you are implying the core would function as is, but the seat would be a visual seat Dave actually sat in?

EDIT:
    You would also need a way of defining if the controller block can control thrust or not,, as you probably will want to have chairs with controls that only have control over weapons.
    The core is a seat, controller and camera at once.But for linked seats and cameras it acts like a controller.

Other linked objects (weapons, other controllers and thrusters) allow you to use these. Just link 1 representative thruster or implement something like http://starmadedock.net/threads/generic-array-computer.2076/ for less computer-clutter in your inventory

Reactions: Ithirahad

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well, they could be a camera block ,ie: different view points that you are controlling the ship from....but you are still sitting at/in the main core. Like a backup screen in some cars...you dont move out of the driver seat, yet you are looking at an entirely different view still driving your car. ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, they could be a camera block ,ie: different view points that you are controlling the ship from....but you are still sitting at/in the main core. Like a backup screen in some cars...you dont move out of the driver seat, yet you are looking at an entirely different view still driving your car. ;)
    I notice a huge FPS drop when I change settings from a fov (field of view) from 85 to 110.
    I don't care about full-3D or awesome effects on the edge of this view angle, but I want it for orientation.

As much as I like "screens" showing you different directions, I guess it would
    1. create major lag if the render processes can't run simultaneously on your graphic card.
    2. require a low-detail implementation for chunks to reduce GPU load.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I notice a huge FPS drop when I change settings from a fov (field of view) from 85 to 110.
    I don't care about full-3D or awesome effects on the edge of this view angle, but I want it for orientation.

As much as I like "screens" showing you different directions, I guess it would
    1. create major lag if the render processes can't run simultaneously on your graphic card.
    2. require a low-detail implementation for chunks to reduce GPU load.
    did you misunderstand what I was meaning?....screens ...not real actual screens like multi-display.... he was asking what would happen to the cockpit block, and I explained.