Generic Array Computer

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The (generic) array computer (AC) would be able to have _any_ weapon block type slaved, but only if all are from the same type.
    • AC -> cannon1, cannon2 = ok
    • AC -> shift-connect: cannon1 = connect all adjacent cannons with different or no master (as currently)
    • AC -> cannon1, beam1 = Error "A Beam is not a Cannon. Please remove all slaved Cannon blocks first!"

If you have -for example- selected cannons, the AC would appear as "Array Computer: Cannons" in the weapon menu

The block display would change to that of correct texture from our current WeaponComputers (( like on/off a logic block changes images ))
    -OR-
    It will change the id of adjacent Deco-computers to have them provide the correct texture and indicate the current selection type (( maybe similar to area-trigger-controller which activates a nearby activation-block ))

The AC can have 2 slaved ACs: 1 weapon and 1 effect, but with salvage beams the second slot is useless/disabled as now.

You can slave more than one arrays to 1 AC but there will be huge penalties for it (25-50% more power consumption for example)

---

You also have a Switch Computer (SC) - possibly with individual names.

The SC can forward a fire-signal to slaved ones in 2 or 3 different ways:
    1. fire all at once
    2. fire( computers[counter] ) && ((counter = (counter+1) % computers.length)) < computers.length
      • cycle through a list of computers and each time you just fire the current one
    3. Act as an input for logic gates
    ---

The advantages (what you probably want to hear):
    • Less computer blocks - A cannon can not change it's physical function (only the cannon shell), but computers are programmable

• A weapon computer with 2 grids uses more power for one shot than 2 different computers, but a switch does not give power penalties for triggering other computers.
      • As broken arrays create 1 more slaved to the same AC (not SC), this grid will still use more power. But only after somebody break it.

• You can not use Switches from within your core: nerfs big ships vs small ships through requiring either:
      1. multiple controllers
      2. stupid AI
      3. you to leave your core.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey! does nobody get the point?

1. Require a bridge and to get out of your core for more than one array without power disadvantage per hotkey
    2. Being able to have 4 arrays in one button without power disadvantage
    3. Damaged arrays are separated by a computer from not-damaged once though you have 4 arrays in one button (the SC may let you choose to provide energy to ACs with only one (not broken) array first.
    4. Less blocks, as deco computers (now deco monitors? ;)) can be used in conjunction with a AC or just as deco (and are not necessary for function, only if you want a visual indication what a computer behind/beneath it does)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    so you want to make so people can fire cannons, beams, pulsars and missiles at the same time and destroy your ship a lot faster. your idea will make so strategy and skills will be even more useless in the game because people can fire all there weapons at the same time. they could use stop effect with the beam to make so you can't move while at the same time missiles and cannons fire at you.
    Seems like a great idea to make so you can fire all your weapons at once(sarcasm)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OMG
    Beam with Cannon-slave and Stop-Effect + something with high reload. You already can!

BTW: switches don't work together with core.
    So you can't move of fire more than these 4 weapons.

Please read the last paragraph before complaining.

This switch computer is just is perfect to give second players more weapons if they can't be in your core.
    I thought of it as a mini-core for additional players, seat and easier weapon handling from outside your core without logic (thus for medium ships) all-together.

But the primary purpose is still to reduce number of different blocks (IDs, inventory slots)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    (I just finished posting a bit in something similar before looking at neonsturm's signature) so i'll post support here, and my addition for it.
    i can see the benefits of this, I played a lot of modded minecraft, and it's opencomputer mod had a similar idea, using computers that could be user programmed. my idea ain't quite like that, but it could easily be a evolution of it.
    (this is better explained then my other post)
    I propose using a single "computer" block (like this thread is about) and entirely wiping out the old weapons computers, or effect computers, instead as part of it's (operating system i suppose is the word), it detects what type of block it's connected to, and loads the "programming" as modules, so a single "computer" still can only load one program at a time (cannons, or missiles, or overdrive), but it responds to a network interface through the ship, so ANOTHER computer, can manage multiple systems, like multiple weapons...
    because this are also just running programs, it's also possible to tweak them, add features... without interfering with the game's core programming, imagine the ships weapons systems using advanced targetting to not only target a ships weakest spot, but to co-ordinate with your ships (or maybe fleets) other turrets, choosing if the best target is the heavy cruiser, or if it can damage a battleship whilst destroying a small swarm of fighters in the same attack, if it can target a vessel's weapons that a friend can't hit due to angle.
    *smart fighters... need i say more.
    of course, there are other benefits too, the computers could also decide the best defence, the computer could identify weapons fire and pick the best defence faster and better then a player could outright.
    plex storage could be managed (conveyor belts please, let there be conveyor belts later) to sort, or even manufacture goods, power could be diverted as neccessary (and hence, we could have weapons that drew power just to standby, but saved time since they were partially charged)
    if we are really lucky, we'll get segmented shields and power core control, clock up the power core for a burst of power, and if it gets too hot, kaboom. it blows a sizible chunk of your ship (say 3 blocks for every power block... caps at double the ship size to prevent system clearing suicide ships...
    segment shields i think should be nine points horizontal, and nine point vertical (allowing for top left shield, or bottom left, middle top...)
    anyway, i'm getting carried away with the possibilities. the main points of merit is that a lot of the base code is already open source,
    with that in mind, and with knowledge of starmade's programming, one could "easily" (okay, maybe easier?) give starmade proper programmible computers, add some hooks for block controls (weapons... effects... shields&power [please] and starmade would have another feature that truly makes it dynamic, since you won't know if that cruiser is running a stock computer, or if it's got damn near AI...
    of course, just because i've pointed out the combat advantages, does not mean it does not have other uses, we could practically eliminate the shop's "logic" section...
    or we could just play pong... on the bridge of [favourite scifi ship]
    are these not worthy goals? *big grin*
    I can see some downsides, with this much flexibility, we are going to see what i'm going to dub "cheat ships", it'll take only one D-bag to release a full autopilot program, and we'll be swarmed with bot ships with insane shield and damage potential.
    to help prevent this issue, we make the ships require LINE OF SIGHT with their "creator" player if they are NOT mining, and only mining.
    and require regular input from the "creator" player to verify they are not some AFK game spoiler... maybe it looks for movement of mouse within 5 minute, and demands "bot" checks for players who are doing nothing (like moving in circles, or in small areas) .
    just simple tests like "the quick brown fox ---- did what?" if the answer is not close to correct, it turns the ai ships off, and demands human confirmation.
    if you want to see how wrong this idea can go, have a look at counter-strike (any of them really) online, i have not yet been online for more then an hour before i've met someone obviously using a aimbot, and often, they leave the bot alone, some even play other games on the same computer. my point is, a*holes exist, and i can see the risk with this idea.
    to further counter-act this, we should allow clients to UPLOAD their program database, but it needs to be cleared with admin rights before it actually will be seen on the server. this should not apply to TYPED programs.
    the failsafes make it incredibly complex as a suggestion...

Reactions: Guard13007