Cockpits and Chairs - short and long term suggestions

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    WONDERFUL! I'm so glad to hear this! I wonder if he's fixing the cockpits too. That would be great!

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    There will be a fair amount of changes with cockpits and cores as I understand it, so I'd say we're good there. Yay progress! =)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ohhh hold up, is there a link to any sources for this? I just.. can't... believe chairs are coming after waiting for so long, this has got to be the most exciting nugget of second hand information I've seen all year !!! ><

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Okay, so here's what I'm thinking for "chairs." In StarMade, we can build virtually anything we want, that includes furniture, and while it's true that not all furniture looks great as bulky blocks, there are ways to make it look fairly nice. So instead of adding in a block which will act as an entire chair itself, I believe the easiest and most versatile thing to do would be add a "Sit Module."

Basically I'm thinking it would just look like a thin cushion (smaller than a minecraft half-block), but would function like a saddle or minecart in Minecraft. You look at it and activate it, suddenly you're sitting on top of it. Look at it and deactivate it, you're back where you hopped on from. It would allow you to look around and activate other things from the seat while remaining in the chair of your choice. No "complicated" models, no need to hide the character within another block. Just an activatable cushion that sits on top of whatever you want. Want to ride a giant space duck into battle? Just throw a cushion up top, then (assuming this gets implemented) activate your cockpit and fly it from there!

That's just my idea, but I think it's the simplest option, while still leaving room for player creativity to shine through.
    +1. I approve. I was thinking of a completely invisible block that functions like this, but this works too.

Aaaanyway. Chairs confirmed? Took them long enough, but...

...HELL. FRAKKING. YES.

Last edited:

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Well, the only reason I was thinking a cushion, or something similar, instead of an invisible block, so there was a quick easy way to identify where you can sit. You could walk into a room and immediate know "okay I can sit there, there, there or there. and that doesn't have any so maybe it's a table." now I fully agree that it will be nice not to have it, as it won't ruin the look of your chairs, it was just a visual cue I thought of.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, the only reason I was thinking a cushion, or something similar, instead of an invisible block, so there was a quick easy way to identify where you can sit. You could walk into a room and immediate know "okay I can sit there, there, there or there. and that doesn't have any so maybe it's a table." now I fully agree that it will be nice not to have it, as it won't ruin the look of your chairs, it was just a visual cue I thought of.
    Good point. How will we know where to sit if the chairs don't look like chairs? I mean, something might be a bench but just look like a visual detail. I guess you'd just have to walk up and look for a tooltip.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Good point. How will we know where to sit if the chairs don't look like chairs? I mean, something might be a bench but just look like a visual detail. I guess you'd just have to walk up and look for a tooltip.
    Yeah, but then there's a matter of color's may not match, so then people would want multiple colored cushions, which would just cause more problems. So I think an invisible activation area will have to do, people will just need to make very clear seating areas so it's obvious you can sit there.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What if I want to have a chair that isn't the same gray as the little square cushion? Or, hell, what if I want my chair to be a position floating in a hollow column of Active Varat Circuits and Ice Crystal Wedges rather than a standard chair? With invisible chairs, the possibilities are nigh-limitless. A cushion, while not a huge problem, could rule out some of the more exotic possibilities.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For the record, where, if anywhere, is this stream recorded anyway?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How do we know that this is actually Schema(x) on the chat and not just a troll?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    How do we know that this is actually Schema(x) on the chat and not just a troll?
    Are you serious? I was there it's #confirmed. Thanks for watching :D
    General and I are often doing double streams.

I for one cannot wait to see creativity expresssed through artistically place wedges/tetras/pentas. The invisible cusion allows for free form chair design, of which there are hundreds of example of unique and functional chair design. You only have to watch a few ship reviews to see that.

Too many games inmplement ugly, lag creating static mesh based furniture. It never matches and restricts design choices.

"What do you know about chairs"

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Are you serious? I was there it's #confirmed. Thanks for watching :D
    General and I are often doing double streams.

I for one cannot wait to see creativity expresssed through artistically place wedges/tetras/pentas. The invisible cusion allows for free form chair design, of which there are hundreds of example of unique and functional chair design. You only have to watch a few ship reviews to see that.

Too many games inmplement ugly, lag creating static mesh based furniture. It never matches and restricts design choices.

"What do you know about chairs"
    Alright, good, confirmed. And for the next build, too! o_O

Hypedrive, activate!