Cockpits and Chairs - short and long term suggestions

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am aware that other threads have brought this up before. The sole purpose of this thread is to recommend a course of action for swift implementation of these critical features based on what appear to be the best suggestions to date along with my own embellishments.

Short term (before or with universe update, please!)
    Make cockpits and cameras separate.
    - The cockpit is a computer one can enter and fly the ship from. Nothing more. As these will likely be put "in" the windshield, they should spawn the player behind the block.
    - The camera provides alternate camera views to a pilot either in the core or in a cockpit.
    - At least for now, the ship may still be controlled from the core.

Long term (Hopefully shortly after universe update)
    Chairs.
    - A chair seats the character when activated with R. Arms and legs may become visible (PLEASE do this if at all possible!) The head moves up to 85 degrees to each side.
    - To leave the chair, look at it (or at your lap) and press R again.
    - To use any computer, look at it from the chair and press R (only works if it's close enough)
    - This will replace computers that "eat" avatars. If computers can still be used without chairs, the character will stand in front of them while using them.
    - The core may still "eat" the character in the absence of a chair at least for the time being.

Reaction score
    Did someone say...chaaiiiirrrssss????

I do love these ideas, anything is better than a glitchy core in my opinion, the core should be a core not a chair, cockpit and dashboard (also IMO).

I would've thought a chair system would be put in by the time we got in FTL, but alas, nein :(

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What do you guys want the chairs to be like? Since we probably wont get some complex model.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think an in-game chair should fit in a 1-m cube without a bottom, so that you can put whatever you like on the bottom, such as a turned-off light stick as a central support post, a metal mesh block, or a decorative wedge, etc. Or they might remove the bottom block to have an electrostatically stable hoverchair.

From a game-system point of view, the model should be easily replace-able on the client side, so that different people can have different chair models to fit their taste. Some may want a simple one-piece yellow molded plastic chair model. Some might want a barstool. Some might want a mid-back utility swivel chair, some might want an overstuffed cushion with an overstuffed back and armrests, some might want something that looks more ornate like an old-fashioned rocking chair, others might want something wildly colorful or oddly shaped like 60's-style space egg chairs, etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why not have chair block similar to the current docking blocks? It has an area (3 long x 2 tall x 1 wide) that it sets aside for the chair itself and anyone sitting in the chair. If the "chair area" is clear, it spawns in a chair (which itself only takes up the block directly above the "chair block"). There is room for the player to sit in the chair.

You could even colour/texture the chair by linking the "chair block" to lights/hull/decorative blocks/etc. There could also be the option of different chair types, or docking enhancer-like blocks that change the chair type. They could give different options like "Captain's chair", "pilots chair", "gunner's chair", "conference chair", toilets, all with models or textures that are distinctly seperate from the base chair, and even with different functions and interactions with certain blocks.

Reactions: CoolDog3
    Reaction score
    What do you guys want the chairs to be like? Since we probably wont get some complex model.
    A...chair?

Y'know but not heavily detailed, the base glued to the floor with a simple, undetailed spine. You snap to the chair and back. (No animations needed.)

I really don't see how a chair can be a 'complex model', SE had this before they implemented the other fun stuff like wheels and everyone uses them now. Complex isn't really an issue, especially when we have 3 animated blocks.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Probably a wedge chair.

Once the main texture shows always on the wedge or primary face.

Reaction score
    So furniture, are we going to get things like a wedge on a full block that requires quite a bit of imagination with some coloring or full 3d models like
    ?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    T = chair texture
    T
    X T
    X X T
    X X X T
    X X X X T
    X X X X X T
    X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T
    X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X T

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not aware of any "confirmed" char stuff yet. However, the community has basically been demanding both of the features outlined above (with numerous variations) for so long that the future addition of some form of chair or seat could be more or less considered "confirmed" by the community itself. I'm not aware of dev response (if any) at this point.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just make a computer block or another enter-able block above my chairs.

Then I call it the "micro human collider in tha box"

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Okay, so here's what I'm thinking for "chairs." In StarMade, we can build virtually anything we want, that includes furniture, and while it's true that not all furniture looks great as bulky blocks, there are ways to make it look fairly nice. So instead of adding in a block which will act as an entire chair itself, I believe the easiest and most versatile thing to do would be add a "Sit Module."

Basically I'm thinking it would just look like a thin cushion (smaller than a minecraft half-block), but would function like a saddle or minecart in Minecraft. You look at it and activate it, suddenly you're sitting on top of it. Look at it and deactivate it, you're back where you hopped on from. It would allow you to look around and activate other things from the seat while remaining in the chair of your choice. No "complicated" models, no need to hide the character within another block. Just an activatable cushion that sits on top of whatever you want. Want to ride a giant space duck into battle? Just throw a cushion up top, then (assuming this gets implemented) activate your cockpit and fly it from there!

That's just my idea, but I think it's the simplest option, while still leaving room for player creativity to shine through.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Okay, so here's what I'm thinking for "chairs." In StarMade, we can build virtually anything we want, that includes furniture, and while it's true that not all furniture looks great as bulky blocks, there are ways to make it look fairly nice. So instead of adding in a block which will act as an entire chair itself, I believe the easiest and most versatile thing to do would be add a "Sit Module."

Basically I'm thinking it would just look like a thin cushion (smaller than a minecraft half-block), but would function like a saddle or minecart in Minecraft. You look at it and activate it, suddenly you're sitting on top of it. Look at it and deactivate it, you're back where you hopped on from. It would allow you to look around and activate other things from the seat while remaining in the chair of your choice. No "complicated" models, no need to hide the character within another block. Just an activatable cushion that sits on top of whatever you want. Want to ride a giant space duck into battle? Just throw a cushion up top, then (assuming this gets implemented) activate your cockpit and fly it from there!

That's just my idea, but I think it's the simplest option, while still leaving room for player creativity to shine through.
    I remember way back on the old site i posed the concept just like that but my version had a trigger area style invisible block (only visible in build mode) as oppose to a cushion. that way it doesn't cramp your style to have your badass captains chair ruined by a cute little cushion.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    No worries, I've just found out tonight that that is almost exactly what it's going to be in-game. So....case closed I guess. lol

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Chair is confirmed in the next build, as schema said earlier today in General's stream

YEAH !! !! !! Chairs !! !!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Schema is loading code into his mind. Please wait until it's published :D