Cheating By Removing Blocks.

Reaction score
    I know this will be a hot post and a lot of people might chew me out but I still think this is one the biggest reasons I can't play with my friends. I can't control nor tell me friends what to do but we all do agree that this feature needs to go or at least change. Some how mark Places Blocks with something that allows to mass remove but roids, planets, stations, other player stations, ships, etc, Can't be used this way.

It's also about a 5 second job to also change these values to 100 x 100 x 100 and that ruins more of the fun.

So could we have an option of course I say an Option so everyone can turn it on or off depending their play preference.

Reaction score
    Well the thing is and don\'t get me wrong. It\'s nice to build on a planet is it not? It just be nice if say you don\'t get the resources or you have to mine it on planets. This of course being 100% optional for the Server config. I just feel that its abused bad.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just thought about it, you should be able to place stuff, but you shouldnt be able to mine stuff you didn\'t place.

Like you said, this should be an option.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An easy solution would be to have build blocks only be able to remove blocks placed by a player, meaning planet mining or excavating will have to be done by hand ;)

Reaction score
    That I don\'t mind eaither. Would like that tbh. Anything and everything that would help prevent it. Like I keep saying as an option. I don\'t want people to have their toes stepped on and I know a lot of people like it and use it. But myself and my friends would rather have this feature off for our enjoyment.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    its a feature request,
    and most servers handle this problem by placing and enforcing rules regarding that.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I think it\'s a bug but that is all debatable. I think anything in the terms of exploiting can but it\'s sometimes hard to get people to agree on that but besides that could you tell me how servers handle it besides rules? I mean it\'s a bit hard to log check peoples actions let alone keeping an eye on them and being legit.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    It is handled by restricting buildblocks and other rules on bases and stations.

And yes you can select the entity and type:
    /last_changed
    to see who made that planet look so crappy.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I would say that to solve this, build blocks/ship cores/catalogs could have an internal inventory which continuously deconstructs or places blocks at a rate of [config-changeable] 2 blocks per second.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is not a bug. This is a feature of the game.

Reaction score
    that would be a nightmare to code. Having tro track the status of EVERY block just to see if you can remove it would NOT benefit the game.

Reaction score
    Bugs are errors in the coding that rpoduce undesired results. This is an INTENDED feature of the game.

I agree it is easy to abuse, but honestly, making things without it would be annoyingly frustrating. Imagine trying to undo a ship you messed up on or no longer want. You have to remove every block before you can remove the core. Or if you made a mistake and need to remove a large portion of your ship.

Planet tereforming would also be a nightmare.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You know what, the block will only have to carry one binary value, 0 for non player placed blocks and 1 for player placed blocks.

and checking if that value is 1 would not be anything complicated.

Reaction score
    That doesnt solve the issue though. How do you determin what is player placed and what isnt? And what about stations, or spawned ships? Its not a simple \"allow/disallow\" because there are multiple factors to take into consideration.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    for EVERY player who ever joined that server.

Meaning that you would have to create a map of all blocks in the universe and a table with all players who have ever logged into the game. With every new block, the map would have to expand and with every new player, the entire map would have to be cloned in their name.

Unless there is only one player who can place blocks and remove them in which case, yes, it would be that simple.

OR

There would be 1 map for all blocks (still a huge waste of time imo) and would be updated with a binary footprint of every player. This means that every block would have to carry a binary code that\'s unique and persistent for every player. But it would be much, much larger than 1 binary digit. Well, you\'d need enough digits to make enough unique codes to accomodate all players ever on the entire StarMade.

Then, what if I were to make a pyramid smack bang in the middle of a faction base and then quit playing on that particular server for good? No player could remove my structure which is in the way of everything without help of an admin.

There must be a better way to solve that issue...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Anyone can build much faster than that by hand. You do not seem to understand what build blocks are meant for. They are meant for building large structures quickly.

Reaction score
    There is. Leave it as is. Let server operators police its usage. It is a game feature that I am thankful for.

Reaction score
    \"It\'s also about a 5 second job to also change these values to 100 x 100 x 100 and that ruins more of the fun.\"

just add in a new option to the server.cfg file (prolly add in a BLOCK_ADD_SIZE_MAX too while thier at it)

BLOCK_REMOVE_SIZE_MAX_X=1

BLOCK_REMOVE_SIZE_MAX_Y=1

BLOCK_REMOVE_SIZE_MAX_Z=1

This way server admins can set their own universes