Chat Channels - Local, sector, and system chat and ability to switch channels.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Two relatively simple suggestions:

1) Three more chat channels. One would be local chat, which can only communicate with people in the same structure/gravity well as you (In gravity, build blocks, or computers). The other two, sector-wide and system-wide chat, are fairly self-explanatory, I think. Local chat would be great for planets, faction bases, and, now that the sector disorientation bug has apparently been fixed, hopefully ship crews.

2) The ability to select channel from a dropdown menu next to chat, rather than having to type the slash command for the channel every time. This would reduce people accidentally typing to the wrong channel and messing something up.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don\'t like the slash. It is shift+7.

Players should be able to make custom channels and prefix a chat-channel with a dot (or any prefix-character they like) and just ignore non-alphanumeric suffixes to the word.

• #channelname
    • .channelname
    • -channelname
    • [channelname]

#pub = public - we need custom aliases too.

regex \"(^[[:alnum:]])([[:alnum:]]).[[:space:]](.*)\" should return an array with result[1] = channel, result[3] = text, but I have not tested it.

• Each faction generates a channel (managed by faction/server).
    • Each sector has one (managed by server): only sectors with active players, 2 sectors radius? 3?.
    • Each player generates a channel (managed by player).
    • Factions and players or admins of servers may create new channels (Managed by either the server or the highest-ranked online player).

If you send a message, you send it to the manager. The manager has a list of subscribers. Subscribers may send a received-notification and hash to the author.

• f, fac, faction => faction channel
    • s, srv, server => server channel
    • p, pub, public, b, bc, broadcast => public/broadcast

These should be handled separatly from normal channels (because else it makes exploits for information possible)

• .-#] => player channel (pm). Writing \"/pm\" is annoying.

Makes an error if playername is within multiple player\'s names
    • maybe select target player on client and provide an API for active users and give/take a shortcut/real-name

[*]just one of \".-#\" and then a space-character => the last used channel

Resolving message->id should always be client-side, because the server has a lot to do with 20+ players anyway.

Other threads (OLD ones, do NOT NECRO)

• http://star-made.org/content/irc (with schema :)
    • http://star-made.org/content/irc-plugin
    • http://star-made.org/content/suggestions-chat-system (just 3 posts, 2 players are still active)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Heh, I forgot that I made this topic... thanks for the bump. *fistbump*

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An ally channel, he thought it was a good idea, but it has yet to be implemented.