Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Just my luck that I'd find the best ship ever, and have a computer so dreadful that it can hardly even play SM at the moment.

I miss my good computer. RIP (2011-2012, 2015).
    Yeah... It was a powerful computer... Not a durable one.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454139512,1454139458][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Are the rings blue forcefields? And... why, what are the rings?
    They are cosmetic. They represent the powering up of the ships main weapon.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Holy crap, you gotta put that big image behind a spoiler or something. XD

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #37: Finished internal shielding

I FINALLY finished the @#$%! internal shielding. That was probably the most arduous thing I've ever done in starmade (besides mining), so I'm really glad that it's finished. The effort will definitely pay off once I start adding in systems. Have some pictures:

With that the ship is currently sitting at 220 million shields, and 165k shield regen. However, I have no idea where the regen block are, I searched but couldn't find them :/ . Also, ignore the clumps of power reactors and capacitors, those are temporary.

Next thing I'll be doing is installing the super weapon's weapon block and logic, along with a new weapon for the front of the ship. This update probably wasn't very interesting, so I'll try to get something good for the next one!

Last edited:

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10

I FINALLY finished the @#$%! internal shielding. That was probably the most arduous thing I've ever done in starmade (besides mining), so I'm really glad that it's finished. The effort will definitely pay off once I start adding in systems. Have some pictures:

That was probably the most arduous thing I've ever done in starmade (besides mining), so I'm really glad that it's finished. The effort will definitely pay off once I start adding in systems.

Next thing I'll be doing is installing the super weapon's weapon block and logic, along with a new weapon for the front of the ship. This update probably wasn't very interesting, so I'll try to get something good for the next one!
    Uh... not sure if it is just on my screen, but you might want to... fix that post a bit.
    Edit: Never mind, it seems to work right.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that an issue with copy/paste prevents me from finishing the super weapon. I'm using it to copy the weapons internally so that I don't have to manually link 2000 things together. However, there's a bug that invariably makes the game crash each time I attempt to do a paste operation.

The good news is that Lancake is awesome and communicated the issue to schema, who fixed the issue in 5 minutes. So now I just have to wait for either a new dev build or release version to come out containing the fix.

In the mean time, I decided to refit the turret systems. I'm already done with the PD and medium turrets (those just needed a small enhancer tweek). The point defense used to each have 5 cannon/cannon outputs, which was laggy as f... due to the ridiculous amount of projectiles up in the air at the same time. To remedy I changed them to have a single cannon/cannon output and two cannon/beam outputs, so now they'll start aiming at missilez from further out and stop lagging everything (hopefully).

Next I'll take on the very daunting task of updating the systems in the super turrets.

Last edited:
    Reaction score

With that the ship is currently sitting at 220 million shields, and 165k shield regen. However, I have no idea where the regen block are, I searched but couldn't find them :/ . Also, ignore the clumps of power reactors and capacitors, those are temporary.

That looks like it must have been cancer to fill in. It would have been a lot easier if SMedit was still functional so that we could fill our ships with shield capacitors with the plugin, then just replace inside with what systems are needed.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That looks like it must have been cancer to fill in. It would have been a lot easier if SMedit was still functional so that we could fill our ships with shield capacitors with the plugin, then just replace inside with what systems are needed.
    Cancerous is the perfect word to describe how it was. Basically as monotonous as grinding the mining skill in runescape. For those that never played runescape think of it as the worst grind in the grindiest game ever.

I'm pretty sure that smedit would be unable to load my ship, even less fill it (it'd go over my 16gb of ram). Besides, now I have a shell that can be easily refit with new systems if an update were to break things :D

Reactions: Kilim
    Reaction score
    Cancerous is the perfect word to describe how it was. Basically as monotonous as grinding the mining skill in runescape. For those that never played runescape think of it as the worst grind in the grindiest game ever.

I'm pretty sure that smedit would be unable to load my ship, even less fill it (it'd go over my 16gb of ram). Besides, now I have a shell that can be easily refit with new systems if an update were to break things :D
    Dude, I've managed to load the hull of a 1:1 EVE dreadnought (3.6 km long - multimillion mass hollow shell), the thing that enables you to load almost infinitely large ships in smedit is if you untick the option to render the ship, it uses 10x less ram then :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    UPDATE #34: New front

So yea, new front, look at the post above if you want to know why. I'll finish detailing it and adding weapons once I've decided what the weapons are actually going to be (cause the old ones suck *** now).
    So shiny, so pointy, so smooth!

I also added some grey armor plates in the mid section, in the spot closest to the wing turrets:

So yea, that's it for today. I haven't been playing much recently, so sorry for the wait. Next update should be the shuttle hangar, followed by sytems (the point I was at before the rail update came out). Opinions are welcome, as always :D

Nice ship.

my opinion now is that your ship looks like a frigate turret wise. if it weren't for its size it'd make a very very nice fast attack ship. Turrets (super turrets you call them ?) are so big they actually diminish the apparent size of the main body. The ship looks less impressive because of that. A trick used in comics to make something big, like the Hulk, big body tiny head. Draw the same body with normal ratio head and its far less impressive.

otherwise very nice ship.

Reaction score
    I would imagine the turrets are that size for functionality purposes. A ship that size is going to need serious turret firepower to not be vulnerable to being flanked, and cramming too many turrets on is going to cause performance issues, so big turrets are the best way.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Missile part of the super weapon is all finished and hooked up with logic, a pre-build came out which contains the copy/paste fix :D. All that's left to do is the beam portion, and that shouldn't take very long.

Nice aiming view hmm? :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Seriously beautiful ship! The lines; the color scheme; the lighting effects; all the little surface details! The free floating side panels are a particularly nice touch! Are they part of the main hull or turrets?
    I honestly didn't realize you could "beat" a sandbox game, but Keptick has done just that, and apparently its not even done yet. I would seriously pay real money to download even just the empty shell; to use as a master class on proper aesthetic design.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I would seriously pay real money to download even just the empty shell
    That can be arranged.

Just kidding, I plan to release the ship once it's done :p. Thanks a lot for the nice comments, it helps to keep me going! And yep, the two wings on the sides are both part of a turret, it can cover the ship from any angle (which is pretty handy with the ship's turn speed, lol):

Note: That's an older picture, there's some missing/different stuff (like the side of the middle section and the hangar door are both different now).

Reaction score
    Oh, wow! They pivot as one around the entire ship! That's rather clever (and very awesome looking)!
    I hope you don't mind, but I'll have to copy that idea at some point.

Is that turret AI driven or manual control only?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Oh, wow! They pivot as one around the entire ship! That's rather clever (and very awesome looking)!
    I hope you don't mind, but I'll have to copy that idea at some point.

Is that turret AI driven or manual control only?
    AI, I don't see a reason not to :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I love how I'm looking at ships trying to get ideas to get my current attempt at a ship (more like revival of a ship from the pre steam days of starmade) and then I see this amazing titan. Like, I can't help but look at my ship and go "welp, at least it flies."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

Out of everything on this wonderful, wonderful thread, that comment about Runescape is what hit me closest to home. That game is pure unmitigated BS. I never 99'nd a skill, and the reason for that was the grind.

You know you have a problem when when the halfway point for XP is like, level 92 out of 99.

Reaction score
    And yep, the two wings on the sides are both part of a turret, it can cover the ship from any angle (which is pretty handy with the ship's turn speed, lol)
    So, I tried to duplicate the mechanics of your awesome revolving super-turret, but its apparently rather more complicated than I thought. I keep running into issues with the orientation of the ship cores in the turret. I can only get it to work if I build the turrets pointing straight upright, which looks really silly. How did you manage to make yours work and point forward? (If you don't mind sharing your secrets)