Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Except while you did it in 3 months, this project has been going for 3 YEARS! It doesn't help that every time Schema updates the game Kep has to change his ship to include the stuff that update brings. At least he's on the home stretch, until the next major update at least.
    Yea, and I only work a few hours per week on it (like 3-4 hours). Honestly, it'd probably be finished already had it not been for rails which forced me to heavily modify all the turrets to accomodate.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    This makes me wish we had jump-wakes. This thing jumping would drag half the server with it and its arival would blow up the other half.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    UPDATE 36: Shuttle hangar

Pretty self explanatory, I revamped the hangar with rails and adjusted it for the new shuttle. The opening/closing sequence is controlled from the shuttle (in flight mode) with a hotbar activator and wireless logic. It opens up at the click of a button and is just a lot more convenient than manually opening the door and everything.

It would be invisible if shading bugs weren't a thing...

The hangar is located here:

This marks the END OF THE RAIL REFITS, WOOOOOH. I'm now back at the point I was before the rail update. Meaning that I'll go back to working on systems, unless I find something else that needs work on (I probably will, sadly...). So yea, that's it for today, I hope you enjoyed the read!
    That looks so ******* amazing man. Sliding armor plates are sexy as hell.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm not dead! And neither is the project!

It's been a while since I posted an update, and I apologize for that. I just took a serious motovational dip the last month (probably due to how tedious the shield molding was). Luckily that's pretty much done, and I'm now working on finishing up the super weapon. After that, the only things left will be finishing the systems and repairing everything that broke because of updates.

Last edited:

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    and repairing everything that broke because of updates.
    Welp it'll never be done!
    jk :D

Good to hear its alive and well! Can't imagine the pain that is the shields for blockifying the interior..

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    y r the shields hard? last time i checked they were the ones that u put anywhere u had room. i didn't think it mattered if they were grouped ect.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    y r the shields hard? last time i checked they were the ones that u put anywhere u had room. i didn't think it mattered if they were grouped ect.
    This is why we should have the bad spelling thingie back...

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Because the ship is so big, that he has to use the area build thingy. But that's blocky, on a ship with lots of funky angles 'n' shit, so he has to completely blockify the interior, to allow him to use the area build thingy. Ya know?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    ^ Exactly that.

Because the surfaces of the ship are all angled I couldn't just use advance build mode to place down chunks of systems, because a lot of them would be placed out of the ship. So I had to mold the interior of the ship with something to make it more blocky. The reason I used shields is because they can be placed in any possible configuration.

Also, in combat once the shields drop, the shield capacitors become useless, so having them all right behind the hull/armor means that they'll be destroyed instead of a useful system.

It wasn't hard to do, just extremely long and tedious. If you ever fill up something that has some 3D slanted surfaces (basically not all flat) you'll understand.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ^ Exactly that.

Because the surfaces of the ship are all angled I couldn't just use advance build mode to place down chunks of systems, because a lot of them would be placed out of the ship. So I had to mold the interior of the ship with something to make it more blocky. The reason I used shields is because they can be placed in any possible configuration.

Also, in combat once the shields drop, the shield capacitors become useless, so having them all right behind the hull/armor means that they'll be destroyed instead of a useful system.

It wasn't hard to do, just extremely long and tedious. If you ever fill up something that has some 3D slanted surfaces (basically not all flat) you'll understand.
    ok thanks now i get it. i have tried filling in a very rounded ship but not in a long time and i had forgotten. this is y i think they should add an area fill option.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    but then all your blockifying work would be done for nothing... but yes indeed, that function is something we need, schema !

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Things are progressing well:

Edit: I just finished docking all the other doors, all that's left now is the systems :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Just my luck that I'd find the best ship ever, and have a computer so dreadful that it can hardly even play SM at the moment.

I miss my good computer. RIP (2011-2012, 2015).
    Yeah... It was a powerful computer... Not a durable one.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454139512,1454139458][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'll just leave this here:

Note: the gif might look laggy while loading the first time, just let it loop once and it should be smooth afterwards.
    Are the rings blue forcefields? And... why, what are the rings?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'll just leave this here:

Note: the gif might look laggy while loading the first time, just let it loop once and it should be smooth afterwards.
    Oh my god that's fantastic. Have you found a way around the logic visual update range thing yet? Otherwise I'd recommend making the rings somehow rail based too, since the forcefields might not update visually when viewed from afar.