Chaos Engine

Reaction score
    Hey everybody! So I've been tinkering again, and I'm not sure if what I've discovered is something new or if I'm just behind the times. (The latter seems more likely. XD)

I have been reading up on Chain Drives and how they work. (And was quite frustrated when the push rail engine didn't work anymore... :/ )
    So instead of running off a guide, I decided to play around a bit and make my own version. Now one thing I learned from the pushrail engine was that the high signals MUST be out of sync in order for all of the signals to be counted by the computer.

In order to accomplish this, I started playing around with randomizer blocks connected to a rail spinner and hooked up in a web. Each block has a random 50% chance to trigger a high signal every time either the spinner Or another randomizer triggers. Each randomizer is then also linked to a 'not' signal so that even the off beats can charge the drive. All of these are routed through a flip-flop with another attached 'not' gate, which in turn connect to the engines.

Given that this was my first ever attempt at a chain drive, I'm mostly impressed that this worked as well as it did! The whole thing can charge in just about 3-4 minutes and can scoot me from the central galactic spawn point to the edge of the galaxy in just under 7 minutes.

So yeah. Randomizer blocks. VERY HANDY. Hence, Chaos Engine. :P

Anybody else played with something like this?

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    One person using complex logic with rotator rails, etc., will cause no problems. Single player is not a problem. However on a server with potentially dozens of people, such complex systems used in conjunction with chain drives will indeed potentially cause all sorts of problems for a server.

Reaction score
    And as far as he described his logic there is nothing that would damage a server. Except if you go into gigantism with thousands of randomizer but i seriously doubt that is the case. The only one risk for multiplayer server are the same for every jump chain drives if you leave them on while you're not in the ship or if a lot of players use it at the same time (loading, unloading tons of sectors at once everytime you jump).
    Please remind yourself that singleplayer is the same as multiplayer, the only one difference is that the server is on your computer and not some potato server online.

Reaction score
    I can achieve those charge times and constant warp with 4 Randomizers each attached to a not gate, routed through a flip-flop with another not.