Read by Schine Changes for planets

Reaction score
    I think jumping over a 90 degree edge would only be slightly more disorienting than jumping over the current 135 degree or whatever edge.
    Trying to confuse the populace? No, a Cuboid world as initially demonstrated would have 270 degree falls. We're not travelling though the inside of the shown angle, we're on the outside of it.
    the current ones? 225 degrees, since, again, we're not tunneling though the intervening blocks. we're walking on the outside of the angle.

on said "cube" world, you can't see much, if any, of the adjacent plate.
    the current ones? you can see a surprisingly good amount of it, assuming it isn't the "cliff/glacier" type.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The gravity transition should be smooth:
    Gravity = 0..1 * Next + 1..0 * Previous
    0..1 changes over maybe 2-3 seconds
    Position & (config)orientation should experience the same drag so that they are more relative to the ground level.

Only for ship positions or missiles, projectiles should hit where aimed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I know, but being in a CONSTANTLY weird gravity, instead of instantaneous weird changes that only happen so often, would be much much worse.

Been done already,

iirc the reason we don't have that is because building was really weird. Don't forget that players must also be able to build and interact with planets beyond just walking on them. The warped planets might work with much larger planets tho, since the curve wouldn't be nearly as bad. A shame that it didn't work out tbh, that planet looks awesome.
    On my own stuff and I am pretty sure I posted it as part of a thread here there is an easy solution to allow players to build even on planets this size. You give the player a tool to select blocks that their top surface is connected. You then turn that into a flat plane. Anything built inside the plane is built as a standard cube. using the base block as the size of the block. Anything built out side of it is built using the vectors passing through the vertices of the block coming from the core of the planet.

By doing that it would allow you to say build a city and buildings inside the build area. Then if you wanted to build say a bridge that ran around the planet and run a tram on it you could do that.

As for gravity you don't align it based on the cube you align it based on the vector to the center of the sphere. Then you have no weird gravity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You give the player a tool to select blocks that their top surface is connected. You then turn that into a flat plane. Anything built inside the plane is built as a standard cube. using the base block as the size of the block. Anything built out side of it is built using the vectors passing through the vertices of the block coming from the core of the planet.
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm not being very bright, or maybe it's the late hour but this part didn't make any real sense to me. Can you explain it again, please?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you look at the picture below you see a round planet based on a cube. surface mapped to it.
    The idea is you select blocks on the same elevation level and doing so the system can generate a plane using the blocks surface area removing the round effect of the planet. Thus there is no need to have blocks that get larger toward their top in the build area.

Think of it as taking a bulldozer out to a site and leveling a huge field to build a large building. The difference here is the person simply uses a hand tool to select the build area.

So that the blocks fit and align they would need to use the size of the blocks on the surface areas face. That way they align to the ground and are comparable in size to one another. The other option is it creates a zone inside that area that uses 1:1 block sizes for building.
    Either way it is an easy thing to do.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If you look at the picture below you see a round planet based on a cube. surface mapped to it.
    The idea is you select blocks on the same elevation level and doing so the system can generate a plane using the blocks surface area removing the round effect of the planet. Thus there is no need to have blocks that get larger toward their top in the build area.

Think of it as taking a bulldozer out to a site and leveling a huge field to build a large building. The difference here is the person simply uses a hand tool to select the build area.

So that the blocks fit and align they would need to use the size of the blocks on the surface areas face. That way they align to the ground and are comparable in size to one another. The other option is it creates a zone inside that area that uses 1:1 block sizes for building.
    Either way it is an easy thing to do.
    The planet doesn't just distort blocks, though. It visually warps everything on or near the planet, including things such as ships and weapons fire in the background. A system like you're suggesting wouldn't work with the kind of spherical worlds that Schema's done before.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The image below is my conversion of a cube to sphere. There are 8 points with distortion that become smaller in percentage as the planet gets larger or more tessellated. The rest become more uniform.

I have to assume that the reason they are having the issue is that when an object gets close enough they are actually bringing it in as part of the object.

My system keeps them separate objects they basically have only a link between them. In short they are 2 separate objects and remain 2 separate objects. There geometry remains separate even when there is a dock or landing.

Also if you are creating an area like I discussed above the build zone. Everything in it would be uniform without distortion because you are intentionally making it that way. Think of it as selecting several squares that are connected and turning them into one surface. Then a build zone is created above that point that is standard. Then if your ship docks to the build zone it would have no distortion even under their system.