Read by Schine Changes for planets

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think you don't understand the scale at which factions devour planets. My faction frequently eats multiple solar systems A DAY. The loss of a planet's worth of resources is something you can laugh off. By decreasing the amount of resources you can get from a planet, you're just going to further encourage the migration out of spawn galaxy, leaving behind nothing but a barren galaxy.
    This is only because of the ridiculously small scale of the current planets. Your current 800 m titan flagship would be a speck next to a single Earth-sized planet with a 6000 km radius. Even several large factions would have trouble consuming it. Of course, then the sector size would have to be a million km, speeds would have to go way up, then everything would come crashing down! Perhaps planets should just become a myth in the game, having all been destroyed eons ago by our ancestors. :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    CUBE SHAPE:
    Schema already tried cube shaped planets and decided they wouldnt work because they looked like this:

Notice that there are no edges and corners to the planet making it look ugly, This could be fixed by adding Wedges, Corners, Heptas, And Tetras as well as slabs and diagonal gravity to all the natural terrain blocks making it possible to slope over those edges making planets into rounded cubes, Now you might think this impossible considering the current roughness of planets, that could be fixed by making the planetary surfaces primarily minecraft style planes. And the diagonal gravity would make the edges and corners of the planet habitable as well, But the biggest advantage to this would be that planetary block grids would remain entirely uniform making separate plates on a core unnecessary and making the standard HP system applicable to planets, As well as reducing lag.

REMOVE COLOR ORBS AND FIX SCALING ISSUES:

You can see multiple errors with this feature, For one thing the glassy orb surrounding planets looks nothing like the planetary atmosphere, And you might also notice that the planet model is larger than the planet itself. When generating planets even from long range the first thing calculated should be size so the model can be scaled to it and the planet when generated so it all remains properly in sync.

MAKE CURRENT PLANET TYPES A MINORITY:

When a player discovers a Terran planet or any of the other kinds They should be happy to have found a rare resource rich planet rather than bored at another random green world, The solution to this would be to introduce a percentage to what kinds of planet are generated and add a new kind of planet. To replace the current classes of planet a Barren class would be introduced, it would be completely lacking in life of any sort or even atmosphere, its surface would compose of primarily rock and would have very few minerals or shards Basically like the moon. Also for ever 100 or so planets generated only one would be a terran (See graph below):

This would greatly reduce the abuse and over-exploitation that every planet of the original classes receive because of their rarity and beauty compared to the barren worlds they will be highly valued as faction bases and mining colonies and efforts may be taken to protect them rather than use them for target practice.

MOONS:
    I know that the devs already intend to add moons to the game but my suggestion is slightly different, Moons would have the same single-entity cube shape that i suggested before and they will be generated from the same planet classes However they will be significantly smaller and the benefits of being a single entity is their mobility meaning that they will be attached to their mother planet with a wireless Rail like attachment system allowing them to orbit the planet itself.

RINGS:

These will sometimes show up in place of a moon, Basically a random block noise generator within a general ring shape, it would rotate around the planet in the same way as a moon, except it wouldn't have gravity.

MINOR FACTIONS:
    This would probably be added with the fauna update, all planet classes with the exception of barren have the chance of generating small semi-tribal settlements, these would be very sometimes hostile and other times very friendly they make good trade partners because resources such as ship cores and other standard resources would be unavailable to them as they have no factory tech, so you will be able to trade these simple space items with them for large amounts of raw minerals and shards which they have very little idea what to do with, Militarily they would be very weak however each villager would be armed with its own laser pistol likely provided by the trading guild meaning that players early into the game without any sufficient shields or armor could be driven off, But even a simple isanth would still be enough to wipe out their settlements.

MILITARY OUTPOSTS:
    AI faction would have military outposts on every planet within their territory, these heavily armed structures would ensure protection for the planet and anyone on it, Any players being pursued by pirates could escape by traveling to a Trade-Guild planet, And pirate planets would be also armed but very rare to find as pirates prefer hiding in void sectors.

ROGUE WORLDS:
    In void sectors there woould be a 5% chance of finding a barren planet there, They would be very dark and would frequently contain pirate bases.

SELF HEALING PLANETS:
    This is a very simple idea, all weapon damage that a planet (All except barren.) takes will slowly heal itself, this means that players will no longer come across worlds griefed beyond recognition, The Nerfing of build blocks that happened a long time ago combined with self healing would mean that all planets with the exception of barren worlds will heal and griefing will slowly become a thing of the past. As any veteran player will tell you, Planets are use for capital ship target practice, and while not removing the ability to shoot planets, The damage would not be permanant, Ensuring all worlds except barren (Whose damage would simply erode.) would remain pristine.

I hope you guys like my suggestions. :)
    I'm undecided on the cube planets (would have to see an example) but I broadly agree with everything else.

To determine the frequency and distribution of the different planet types, why not use the existing temperature system which is already used to determine the distribution of Asteroids? Create a "Goldilocks Zone" at a certain radius around a star which is the only region in which you'll get Terran/Alien planets, and have Desert and Mars/Ice planets spawn nearer the hotter and colder ends of the zone respectively? Barren planets would obviously spawn outside of the Goldilocks Zone where it's too hot or too cold. If you make the region narrow enough, you automatically make the nicer planets less common while providing Players with an intuitive way of finding the planet types they want in an un-explored solar system.

To discourage mining on "habitable" planets, wouldn't it be better to have the Barren ones regenerate instead? This would make players more likely to want to protect the more fragile planets instead of simply harvesting them.

Also, Barren planets need not be boring, at least not aesthetically. I'm thinking along the lines of Rocky planets (like Mercury), Volcanic (like Io) and Gas Giants (like Saturn) would all class as "barren".

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    I'm undecided on the cube planets (would have to see an example) but I broadly agree with everything else.

To determine the frequency and distribution of the different planet types, why not use the existing temperature system which is already used to determine the distribution of Asteroids? Create a "Goldilocks Zone" at a certain radius around a star which is the only region in which you'll get Terran/Alien planets, and have Desert and Mars/Ice planets spawn nearer the hotter and colder ends of the zone respectively? Barren planets would obviously spawn outside of the Goldilocks Zone where it's too hot or too cold. If you make the region narrow enough, you automatically make the nicer planets less common while providing Players with an intuitive way of finding the planet types they want in an un-explored solar system.

To discourage mining on "habitable" planets, wouldn't it be better to have the Barren ones regenerate instead? This would make players more likely to want to protect the more fragile planets instead of simply harvesting them.

Also, Barren planets need not be boring, at least not aesthetically. I'm thinking along the lines of Rocky planets (like Mercury), Volcanic (like Io) and Gas Giants (like Saturn) would all class as "barren".
    This^!!!! :D

Reaction score
    Walking and building at an angle from the player's perspective would be incredibly immersion breaking and just a bad experience in general.
    Having plates and multiple gravity fields is also very immersion breaking. Every time I jump from one plate and instantly snap to another, I feel bad about it.

If the angles are the only problem, is there any chance the blocks of a planet could be warped to wrap around a spherical core?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Having plates and multiple gravity fields is also very immersion breaking. Every time I jump from one plate and instantly snap to another, I feel bad about it.
    I know, but being in a CONSTANTLY weird gravity, instead of instantaneous weird changes that only happen so often, would be much much worse.
    If the angles are the only problem, is there any chance the blocks of a planet could be warped to wrap around a spherical core?
    Been done already,

iirc the reason we don't have that is because building was really weird. Don't forget that players must also be able to build and interact with planets beyond just walking on them. The warped planets might work with much larger planets tho, since the curve wouldn't be nearly as bad. A shame that it didn't work out tbh, that planet looks awesome.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    iirc the reason we don't have that is because building was really weird. Don't forget that players must also be able to build and interact with planets beyond just walking on them. The warped planets might work with much larger planets tho, since the curve wouldn't be nearly as back. A shame that it didn't work out tbh, that planet looks awesome.
    Due to how the warping works, it would cause tall building to warp with the planet, and since it's a visual distortion, ships and projectiles would ALSO get distorted. That might be a cool effect for blackholes to have, but not normal planets.

Reaction score
    I know, but being in a CONSTANTLY weird gravity, instead of instantaneous weird changes that only happen so often, would be much much worse.
    It wouldn't be constantly weird gravity, it would just be rough ground in some areas, the 2 poles and 4 "sides" of the planet would be normal block orientation.

I agree, the angled terrain wouldn't be perfect and warping has its issues as well.

Is there some way to stack more and more voxels per layer? So the "blocks" aren't warped the further they get from the core. Have them shaped just right to seal up the sphere, and then the next layer would be the same exact shape, just more of them.

I guess the problem with that would be the brick laying effect, vertically you would get a jagged edge. So maybe the ability to anchor a structure onto a planet, a block that attaches to provide the center point for a flat and square building surface. Could even make the anchors a requirement for building on planets.

Whatever happens, I just hope the planets are BIGGER.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If I was in charge we'd have planets shaped like cubes. I'm aware of the criticism towards them, but in my opinion, they're perfect. Starmade is a game made entirely of cubes, planets being large cubes themselves just makes sense.

Yes this planet here looks terrible. But you have to admit, it's a pretty low-effort test. There's no attempt at meshing the plates together. With beveled edges like the current planet plates have I think a cube would be way better than... whatever what we have now is called, with the pentagons. Everything would have 90 degree angles so it would all mesh together perfectly unlike the jagged diagonal borders on the current planets.

Although... the absolute best case scenario, in my opinion, would be Space Engineers-like planets. I know this has been said many times before, but think it's at least worth trying. I envision the surface of the planets being a sort of "1.5th" dimension, (I know Schema is adamantly against separate dimensions with loading screens) with minecraft-like chunks that would load and unload like an omni-directional treadmill. From a distance the planet could have a basic spherical model, with simple features of the surface procedurally generated on the texture, perhaps partially obscured by an atmosphere. As you get closer the surface terrain sections would load in (corresponding to your position in orbit) and would be rendered with that circular warping shader. As your altitude decreased towards sea level the shader would get toned down until it was completely gone as you touched down.

That idea is a long shot of course, I'm just daydreaming over here.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If I was in charge we'd have planets shaped like cubes. I'm aware of the criticism towards them, but in my opinion, they're perfect. Starmade is a game made entirely of cubes, planets being large cubes themselves just makes sense.

Yes this planet here looks terrible. But you have to admit, it's a pretty low-effort test. There's no attempt at meshing the plates together. With beveled edges like the current planet plates have I think a cube would be way better than... whatever what we have now is called, with the pentagons. Everything would have 90 degree angles so it would all mesh together perfectly unlike the jagged diagonal borders on the current planets.

Although... the absolute best case scenario, in my opinion, would be Space Engineers-like planets. I know this has been said many times before, but think it's at least worth trying. I envision the surface of the planets being a sort of "1.5th" dimension, (I know Schema is adamantly against separate dimensions with loading screens) with minecraft-like chunks that would load and unload like an omni-directional treadmill. From a distance the planet could have a basic spherical model, with simple features of the surface procedurally generated on the texture, perhaps partially obscured by an atmosphere. As you get closer the surface terrain sections would load in (corresponding to your position in orbit) and would be rendered with that circular warping shader. As your altitude decreased towards sea level the shader would get toned down until it was completely gone as you touched down.

That idea is a long shot of course, I'm just daydreaming over here.
    Imagine how absolutely disorienting the gravity changes would be with Cubic planets. You'd literally be walking off the edge of the world, lol. About having instanced planets (seperate dimension), the problem with that is that you can't interact with them from space. One of the fun things in this game is that I can see (and interact) with ships that are located KMs away from planets, even if I'm standing on one of those planets.

Honestly, when playing with a higher planet size config it's really not as bad as what people say. For example:

I was standing on the plate of a 1000r planet in that picture. You can see terrain further than you ever would in minecraft (those hills in the background were in the middle of the plate iirc, i'm standing on the edge looking towards the center). You could easily build a base or city in the middle of the plate and never have to walk off to other plates, and even if you did it's large enough that you really wouldn't change gravity very often.
    At that point I think the problem is more performance related than the actual shape of the planets. Luckily I have a good computer, so I could run it no problem, but that's definitely not the case for most users. So yea, it's more an optimization issue imo.

PS: I agree with everything in the OP apart from the cubic planets.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Imagine how absolutely disorienting the gravity changes would be with Cubic planets. You'd literally be walking off the edge of the world, lol.

About having instanced planets (seperate dimension), the problem with that is that you can't interact with them from space. One of the fun things in this game is that I can see (and interact) with ships that are located KMs away from planets, even if I'm standing on one of those planets.
    I think jumping over a 90 degree edge would only be slightly more disorienting than jumping over the current 135 degree or whatever edge. It's already pretty nuts. :p

As for the instanced planets, (good to know that's what that concept is called) the way I envision it, you'd still be able to interact with the planet from space. Probably not from kilometers away, but maybe from one or half of one. There would have to be some limit, since it's basically loading a second world in inside of the main universe. But basically, instead of planet plates, there would be chunks of the planets surface that would load in front of you and unload behind you as you moved around on the surface or around it in orbit, with visual effects (spherical warp shader, distance/atmosphere fog, etc.) to make it visually make sense. They'd still be there in the main game world, they'd just behave differently, as if they were a minecraft world and not basically huge inert ships like the current plates behave.

Reaction score
    If anyone wants to know what i mean by "cube" planets, then go into starmade take a ship core and place a armor block on each side, then use wedges and tetras to make it look kinda like a sphere, and the end result is that using wedges corners heptas and tetras you could make a planet that applies with the default block grid making plates unnecessary.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I illustrated my concept to hopefully make it clearer.

I know Space Engineers accomplishes pretty much the same thing, although I don't know exactly how similar since I only play StarMade. What I do know is that it would be an immense amount of work for Schema, but you know if it works as well as I think it would, it would be worth it.

I've pretty much just hijacked this thread, I should make my own. Sorry.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score

I know Space Engineers accomplishes pretty much the same thing, although I don't know exactly how similar since I only play StarMade. What I do know is that it would be an immense amount of work for Schema, but you know if it works as well as I think it would, it would be worth it.

I think this is a very good idea if my computer still worked i would volunteer to be the Guinea pig to test it out for schima But my computer virtually committed suicide as soon as i cam close to a planet though i suppose a 200$ laptop cant really handle this type of game :,(

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If anyone wants to know what i mean by "cube" planets, then go into starmade take a ship core and place a armor block on each side, then use wedges and tetras to make it look kinda like a sphere, and the end result is that using wedges corners heptas and tetras you could make a planet that applies with the default block grid making plates unnecessary.
    So basically a Rhombicuboctahedron: Rhombicuboctahedron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it was suggested really recently: Rhombicuboctahedron Planets? (still on the first page as of the time of this post). I don't blame you for not seeing it though, I didn't know the name of that shape either before seeing that thread.

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So basically a Rhombicuboctahedron: Rhombicuboctahedron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it was suggested really recently: Rhombicuboctahedron Planets? (still on the first page as of the time of this post). I don't blame you for not seeing it though, I didn't know the name of that shape either before seeing that thread.
    I call this a major improvement over our existing.

With a 5-corner plate, you always have a canyon between all plates.
    With this, you can make canyons or oceans in the triangles to cover the inconsistency and have the rest being normal.

You could still dig own canyons if you want to - they will be even better than the current ones because of a more consistent transition.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I know Space Engineers accomplishes pretty much the same thing,
    HAHAHA, no, no it does not. Spengies does not use a transition like that. It's just one massive ball of voxels with spherical gravity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    HAHAHA, no, no it does not. Spengies does not use a transition like that. It's just one massive ball of voxels with spherical gravity.
    Heh ok. I don't know if my solution is elegant or overcomplicated then... probably the latter. I'm sure sharper minds than mine will be able to come up with a cleaner means to the same end.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen

I think this is an absolute must! so yes make your own thread because more people need to see this!

also props for making the design illustration