Recognized A Concept for Space Engineers-like planets

What do you think should be done with planets in StarMade?

• Nothing- the ones we have now are just fine.

Votes: 7 13.0%
    • Space Engineers has the best planets, we should have something similar.

Votes: 23 42.6%
    • The planets we have now are OK, but there's a better shape out there.

Votes: 16 29.6%
    • Bring back the pancake planets!

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I know Schema has considered making planets like Space Engineers, after seeing them added into that game, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest or advocate for something like this, but... I don't think the horse has been quite beaten enough yet.

Full disclaimer: I don't know if this is the best way for these planets to be implemented. I'm not en experienced programmer, nothing on the level that would be required to actually code this, but I think I know enough about the way the game works to say it's probably possible. I do know it won't be a piece of cake to implement this, either my way or a better way, but if it does work for gameplay as well as I think it will, it will definitely be worth it.

Reaction score
    No offence, but I already own both games and like them for their own reasons and that they are different.

I want to see StarMade take ideas from and become a clone of Space Engineers as much as I want Space Engineers to do so with StarMade.

If I want 2 copies of Space Engineers I'll buy another copy of it.

Honestly tired of "Space Engineers has this, add it to StarMade!" Suggestions. How about suggestions that are just introduced on their own merits without comparing them to other games, or ones that are suitable for StarMade and it's aesthetics.

I sometimes wonder if people are just trying to get a cheap copy of Space Engineers by trying to get StarMade turned into it. :p

Protip: If you like Space Engineers, buy it, play it. Then you will have all the Space Engineer features you want. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

so this kinda shit? It's a good idea, but not sure how practical it would be, especially in am MP situation :/

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No offence, but I already own both games and like them for their own reasons and that they are different.

I want to see StarMade take ideas from and become a clone of Space Engineers as much as I want Space Engineers to do so with StarMade.

If I want 2 copies of Space Engineers I'll buy another copy of it.

Honestly tired of "Space Engineers has this, add it to StarMade!" Suggestions. How about suggestions that are just introduced on their own merits without comparing them to other games, or ones that are suitable for StarMade and it's aesthetics.

I sometimes wonder if people are just trying to get a cheap copy of Space Engineers by trying to get StarMade turned into it. :p

Protip: If you like Space Engineers, by it, play it. Then you will have all the Space Engineer features you want. :rolleyes:
    This is one of those Space Engineers features that deserve to be in StarMade on their own merit. I don't want Space Engineers's clunky block rotation system, I don't want Space Engineers's lame systems design, I don't want Space Engineers's ugly art style, and I certainly don't want the 12 FPS I get trying to play Space Engineers. What I do want, are planets (And asteroids, maybe) that look and work like planets (and asteroids, maybe).

Reactions: alterintel

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    This is one of those Space Engineers features that deserve to be in StarMade on their own merit. I don't want Space Engineers's clunky block rotation system, I don't want Space Engineers's lame systems design, I don't want Space Engineers's ugly art style, and I certainly don't want the 12 FPS I get trying to play Space Engineers. What I do want, are planets (And asteroids, maybe) that look and work like planets (and asteroids, maybe).
    asteroids I like as they are, but planets are defiantly one of those things that has been requested here for much longer than SE has been out, so it makes sense to add them, regardless of the fact they're in SE. Although SE style planets is a bit misleading for this thread, as it still wouldn't be true voxels, which is a good thing for this game imo

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    nice choice on the ship btw *its a star destroyer*
    :D
    Exactly. The only thing Space Engineers does better than Starmade in my opinion is the planets.

Obviously, under the hood, they will have to be quite different, but from a players perspective, a similar experience would be ideal for StarMade.

Reactions: alterintel

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm pretty sure Schema specifically said he was NEVER going to do instanced planets, and I'm very thankful for that.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    These planets aren't instanced...
    Not exactly, no, but they're very similar. The main thing that sticks out to me is that I can't interact with planets unless I'm in or right above the atmosphere. What if I want to do an orbital bombardment from a sector away? Normal planets would still be loaded at that range.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As I've said before, I personally wouldn't mind if orbital bombardments weren't possible in the first place, but it wouldn't be hard to use the same mapping system that is used to determine relative position of ships, to calculate where a projectile would land. There are other issues with this (I think Valiant70 has thought through this more thoroughly) but that isn't one of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    They're sort of instanced. Schema's primary reasoning against instancing planets was to avoid loading screens at all cost- something that I don't think my implementation would require. If it can't be done without a loading screen, then it would be inferior to the current plate planets for sure.

As for orbital bombardment, you wouldn't necessarily need to get right up close. It all depends on from how far away and how many surface chunks can be loaded, I suspect that would mainly be limited by performance. Really though, at least on the current scale of Starmade, are you really in orbit from a whole sector away? That's more like deep-space bombardment. Sure you'd probably have to get pretty close for the surface to load, a kilometer or so seems about right, but it would be way cooler that way. Especially since only loading part of a planet at a time would allow them to be much larger, so your ships would be outlined against the planet from a distance.... it would be cool.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I feel like sticking with the pancakes until the game could handle the upgrade would have been better. servers don't like me messing with planets... so it becomes pointless how nice they are.

I just want a shape that lets me actually go do stuff. I'd be fine with pancake planets or cube planets. maybe planets need a special weapon and mining laser of their own. be a reason to make planet bases

Reaction score
    Planets definitely need work. Firstly, the gravity on current planets is terrible. That is the first step to be corrected to make planets better. I'm not sure the best way to do it, but I think the planet needs a center of gravity that pulls objects towards the core instead of this weird wonky thing that happens as you pass over corners of worlds on a ship. In some way they need to be round. And loaded as one objects that may load blocks at a time as you get closer, but here is my suggestion.

1. Assuming a central point of gravity can be made. Make the core of every planet generate an atmosphere and gravity based on the number of blocks within its radius. Set it's radius some 300 blocks higher in a perfect circle than the maximum size of a planet in the config. This will also be where gravity starts to take some effect. The closer you get to the center the stronger the gravitational pull. The gravity should be based on the total of blocks on a planet. Atmospheres also should vary from planet to planet and some planets might not have any atmosphere at all, but they all should have a center of gravity based on the planet as a whole.

2. Spend the time to write tons of planet templates. One for every size, and shape variation of planet possible for the game to work properly. This could be continuously added to even after release to constantly make better planets. Spawn in worlds more like the way stations and ships are spawned in block by block. However, the game will spawn a template world first then all the generation effects could be added to behind the scenes threads to make every planet unique. Start generating the planets as soon as the universe is created and continue until it is completely generated starting from the center of the galaxy or the starting sector. This may cause starting servers and new games to take a while to generate the universe, but the quality of play will be well worth it.

3. Set in the config the range of size that is possible. Allow it to be configurable like it is now, but based on the best performance sizes. Also allow for shapes of planets to be configurable, but definitely have Round, Cube, and Dice-like shapes. (d-12, d-14, d-16, d-20, ect)

4. Add randomized generation effects that occur on every planet differently based on the universe seed. For example things like Mountains, Valleys, Craters, Resources, Caves, Civilization Ruins, Temples, Pyramids, Alien Tendrils, Fauna, Flora, Trees, Aliens, NPCs, Empires, Anything that will make a planet unique, ect.

5. Prioritize universe generation to planets closest to starting sector, and working outwards.

6. ADD to this idea anything that improves upon the quality of the game, and never make planets an instance.

Let me know what you all think.

Reaction score
    How about doing planets like this Unity Plugin?
    Spherical Voxel Engine (CC-BY) | Unity Community

Makes them round while maintaining the voxel look, although any blocks overlapping may cause issues as the current planets have experienced in the past at their seams. then again I personally have no problems with StarMade current planets style, makes the game feel unique and matches it's visual style. Agree with poster above that if they could fix gravity it would be good. Gravity itself needs to be spherical, not the planets.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    2. Spend the time to write tons of planet templates. One for every size, and shape variation of planet possible for the game to work properly. This could be continuously added to even after release to constantly make better planets. Spawn in worlds more like the way stations and ships are spawned in block by block. However, the game will spawn a template world first then all the generation effects could be added to behind the scenes threads to make every planet unique. Start generating the planets as soon as the universe is created and continue until it is completely generated starting from the center of the galaxy or the starting sector. This may cause starting servers and new games to take a while to generate the universe, but the quality of play will be well worth it.
    Ew, no. Do not make the planets hand-built. That's just a horrible idea.

How about doing planets like this Unity Plugin?
    Spherical Voxel Engine (CC-BY) | Unity Community

Makes them round while maintaining the voxel look, although any blocks overlapping may cause issues as the current planets have experienced in the past at their seams. then again I personally have no problems with StarMade current planets style, makes the game feel unique and matches it's visual style. Agree with poster above that if they could fix gravity it would be good. Gravity itself needs to be spherical, not the planets.
    What happens when voxels overlap? What happens as you dig down and the voxels overlap more and more? What happens when I try to build on a the planet? Planets like this don't work.

Reaction score
    What happens when voxels overlap? What happens as you dig down and the voxels overlap more and more? What happens when I try to build on a the planet? Planets like this don't work.
    I agree. I am happy with the current planets. But if we were going to change them this could be a happy middle point.

Reaction score
    "Planet optimizations planned, will be bigger, have more types. Devs also considered polygonal Space Engineers-like planets, though no serious talks happened and this is not a priority."

Looks like they have this or similar planned

Reaction score
    Its in the general discussion forums, criss added to it aswell.

It's been considered however no actual talks of changing planet shapes has come about. We want them to be larger and more interesting and varied. We might even achieve a scale that allows us to change the shape. It's not a focus at the moment however so do not expect major changes to the current planet system, just improvements.
    Starmade Q&A: Stuff confirmed so far