Change the Faction Permission Module into the Encrypter

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i've always though of the Faction Permission Module as kind of a one note block and more could be done with it. so got to thinking that instead of adding a new block why don't we just change an existing block in to a new one.

The Encrypter
    The encrypter would be a logic based block that would serve as an expansion of the faction Permission modules functions. Its main function would be to allow access to factioned entities to everyone, much like a faction permission module, however it will also have a locking function that can be activated/deactivated via logic. It will also allow you to set faction permissions of individual modules so that players can have various things such as doors and buttons that are restricted to specific faction ranks. It will be an interactable block that has a config menu when you press "R" on it as shown in the mock up above.

Mode
    The Encrypter has two mode, Encrypt and Decrypt. Encrypt will lock entities while Decrypt will unlock them. when first placed the Encrypter will by default be in Decrypt mode so that it can act just like a faction permission module. Any module that it is touching will be unlocked so that any non faction player may be able to access it. Same old same old.

The Encrypt mode is where things get interesting. When set to Encrypt then any module that is touching the Encrypter will become faction locked. Access to the module will be restricted in the same way a player who is not in a faction or does not have a high enough faction access. This function will also have a non faction use as players will be able to create locked doors and other restricted modules.

By using logic players will be able to activate/deactivate encrypt mode. When the encrypter receives a high signal (ON signal) then it will change its mode (accompanied with a texture change to indicate the mode switch). This should make locking circuits more useful and fun. The applications for adventure map-like creations are endless.

Faction Permission
    This is something that has been asked for a long time. The ability to give individual modules such as doors and switches a faction access rank. The way it is right now entities can only have one faction rank given to them or non at all. This makes for some weird situations for factions that want only some parts of a entity like a station accessible to those of a high enough rank rather then having the whole thing accessible to everyone or to those with the right rank.

When players set the Faction Permission of an encrypter then it will remember it even when in encrypt mode. Players that do not have the appropriate rank won't be allow access to the module. Also once a player has set the faction permission the encrypter itself can only be accessed by a player of the set rank.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    how would you lock 3x3 doors?

i suggest having the rank apply to any module slaved/connected to the permission module.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    who would you lock 3x3 doors?

i suggest having the rank apply to any module slaved/connected to the permission module.
    Thats basically what I'm saying. once u set the faction permission rank then the encrypter will only allow access to players who have the correct rank for that module

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thats basically what I'm saying. once u set the faction permission rank then the encrypter will only allow access to players who have the correct rank for that module
    i mean in the current system the permission is only applied to adjacent blocks. this makes it hard to make big doors or other mechanisms that require access to lots of things.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i mean in the current system the permission is only applied to adjacent blocks. this makes it hard to make big doors or other mechanisms that require access to lots of things.
    ok, thats makes sense. was alittle confused because of your first sentence.

thats also something that could be done. using a master/slave linking system then the old adjacent block method

Reaction score
    ok, thats makes sense. was alittle confused because of your first sentence.

thats also something that could be done. using a master/slave linking system then the old adjacent block method
    pretty much the faction permission block needs a whole overhaul first off the adjacent block thing needs to go i don't like having a block next to every button and factory i create and I def don't want a block and a logic block next to every button and factory i make.

this idea would be pretty much what i've been advocating for the entire time i've been playing this game if it got a new master slave system.

One thing i don't understand though is why it needs to be logic controlled at all why couldn't it just have say some boxes or drop down lists like the faction module.

Something like all, neutral, faction, faction level x and higher

and possibly a whitelist

Reaction score
    pretty much the faction permission block needs a whole overhaul first off the adjacent block thing needs to go i don't like having a block next to every button and factory i create and I def don't want a block and a logic block next to every button and factory i make.

this idea would be pretty much what i've been advocating for the entire time i've been playing this game if it got a new master slave system.

One thing i don't understand though is why it needs to be logic controlled at all why couldn't it just have say some boxes or drop down lists like the faction module.

and possibly a whitelist
    the logic input would would like a lock/unlock, meaning that those that has complete control of the entity can switch between "free-4-all", like it is right now, and limited to what the encrypt has been set to

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold

and possibly a whitelist
    well i never really had that big of a problem with the block adjacent thing. the only times that i didn't like it was when i wanted to keep the faction permission module out of sight or the docking logic blocked the only spot that would be beyond a players view. so a master/slave connecting system would work well but i would be happy with it either way.

the reason it should be logic controlled is because we can create true locked doors. right now theres all kinds of work arounds that only make it inconvienant to press "R" on a door but nothing that truly restricts access like if you tried to open a door to a faction entity. In this way it also does what you're asking. it allows more specific restrictions just in a more simple fashion

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't like the adjacent mechanic used for permissions modules and other blocks. Would better to use the C/V mechanic. In use you would place an Encryptor with whatever permissions options you wanted and then C/V these permissions to whatever systems you wanted them to effect.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Add an O option by the 4 3 2 1 F* for owner. Clicking that would bring up a dialog asking for the player name, auto-filled with your name. Of course this also would need to be added to the faction module unless this encrypter block can be linked to the core to disallow anyone but the owner to enter it.