Recognized Change Salvaging Mechanics

Reaction score
    Another approach could be repair beams convert scrap back to it's block type? Not sure how it would work blocks that aren't on the surface though.

Reaction score
    Another approach could be repair beams convert scrap back to it's block type? Not sure how it would work blocks that aren't on the surface though.
    Going off that idea. What if when you salvage damaged blocks or whatever from stations they are literally damaged and you have to run them through a repair refinery. The refinery takes power time and maybe scrap to fix blocks. This way it would still require effort addressing what Criss said:

So the biggest concern here is that salvaging blocks from derelicts was removed because it was a cheap way of making money and resources. It minimized the nesseccity to actually craft. If something like this suggestion is to work it needs to only apply after the player has put fourth some effort. I suspect the changes made to overheating ships is alright, since that requires a fight. Not so sure about the derelict stations. Additionally, there will be rewards for exploring derelicts instead of salvaging them in the future.

Reaction score
    I rather like that suggestion Kookster.

If the Dev-team continue treating Neutral stations the same as "killed" Pirate stations, then that right there seems to be the best answer.

Significant Tangent, if responding to this, please quote only this section :

I've been wondering recently how different the game would be, if a "killed" Pirate station didn't go derelict (at all) when you overheat it.

The immediate thought, is that more players would have their "early" bases in a formerly Pirate station, and in and of itself that's not a bad thing.
    Most of the default Pirate stations are (to varying degrees) laid out rather well for a Player-controlled Starbase.

The Cons:
    It is more than possible to "subdue" Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta Pirate bases in such a way that they still have LIVE defensive turrets.
    Which might require a "reworking" of the code for docked entities so that they instantly update to the faction status of their host/parent entity.
    (the OLD Docking code, since none of these Pirate bases currently use Rail docks)

To my knowledge, None of them have factories (or only a very few) and currently lack rail docking of any sort. (having only explored them a little, I cannot be certain about the factories)
    Delta has a general size-deficiency going against it, but has some of the toughest turrets. (not most damaging, that honor goes to the Alpha's missile turrets)
    Gamma has 2 sections that obviously SHOULD be Shipyards (the cage-structures), but aren't, and would be only about Isanth-0 sized anyway.

And, of course, we'd be somewhat back to the problem of explosive "mid game" growth, since now crushing a Pirate base would be giving full-blocks so long as you've sent it into overheat. (which sounds like a proper reward for crushing it)

On the other claw, Overheat still means you've blown away 50.1% of it's system HP, and thus have a station that is "missing" over half it's structure, and probably still has reinforcement vessels in the sector.
    (and the reinforcement ships DO give full bocks on overheat, and from the loot-clouds most of them drop.)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So the biggest concern here is that salvaging blocks from derelicts was removed because it was a cheap way of making money and resources. [...]
    That's not at all why. It bothers me that damaged blocks on ships currently give you the block, but blocks on derelict stations, which have full hp, give you scrap. Something about it nags at me in the back of my mind; It just doesn't seem to make sense to me. It makes the current system for salvaging feel like two independent systems; one for ships and one for stations. If stations are kept to give only scrap, I would like if they had some visual indication instead of looking like new, pristine stations.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I haven't heard anything about salvaging and mining recently, so I'm giving this thread a bump. I haven't found a forums rules page anywhere, so if this is not allowed, please show me the page where it is mentioned and I'll be sure to never do this again.

Reaction score
    So the biggest concern here is that salvaging blocks from derelicts was removed because it was a cheap way of making money and resources. It minimized the nesseccity to actually craft. If something like this suggestion is to work it needs to only apply after the player has put fourth some effort. I suspect the changes made to overheating ships is alright, since that requires a fight. Not so sure about the derelict stations. Additionally, there will be rewards for exploring derelicts instead of salvaging them in the future.
    I've seen a few different threads that partly touch on scrap and stations. My answer to most of them is capsule scrap.

Give each block a value in all base resources(mesh/crystal and capsules). Every time you salvage a block that would give you scrap, it takes 70-90% of that value and gives it to you. Instead of giving you actual base resources, it gives you them in scrap versions. You refine the base scrap stuff(Isn't it like 5:1 or something? That's why the amount you get for salvaging is so high), and you get capsules, mesh, and crystal.

I've been wondering recently how different the game would be, if a "killed" Pirate station didn't go derelict (at all) when you overheat it.

The immediate thought, is that more players would have their "early" bases in a formerly Pirate station, and in and of itself that's not a bad thing.
    Most of the default Pirate stations are (to varying degrees) laid out rather well for a Player-controlled Starbase.

The Cons:
    It is more than possible to "subdue" Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta Pirate bases in such a way that they still have LIVE defensive turrets.
    Which might require a "reworking" of the code for docked entities so that they instantly update to the faction status of their host/parent entity.
    (the OLD Docking code, since none of these Pirate bases currently use Rail docks)

To my knowledge, None of them have factories (or only a very few) and currently lack rail docking of any sort. (having only explored them a little, I cannot be certain about the factories)
    Delta has a general size-deficiency going against it, but has some of the toughest turrets. (not most damaging, that honor goes to the Alpha's missile turrets)
    Gamma has 2 sections that obviously SHOULD be Shipyards (the cage-structures), but aren't, and would be only about Isanth-0 sized anyway.

And, of course, we'd be somewhat back to the problem of explosive "mid game" growth, since now crushing a Pirate base would be giving full-blocks so long as you've sent it into overheat. (which sounds like a proper reward for crushing it)

On the other claw, Overheat still means you've blown away 50.1% of it's system HP, and thus have a station that is "missing" over half it's structure, and probably still has reinforcement vessels in the sector.
    (and the reinforcement ships DO give full bocks on overheat, and from the loot-clouds most of them drop.)
    I like this idea, although more than 50% destroyed is a lot of the station. Maybe faction block destroyed, and all turrets knocked off or something. Or maybe you have to place and claim a faction module yourself, which spawns in a bunch of pirate enimies as you do it.