Change Punch or Piercing to make empty space inside Ships desirable

Reaction score
    Even after the latest updates and changes concerning punch through and piercing, they still feel not different enough to keep them both. One is usually used for the main effect (punch through), the other one is primarily used to boost hull (piercing).

My idea would keep the old unlimited piercing effect with some major adjustments, best discribed as an overcharging emp effect.
    It would only work for adjacent system blocks and could not cross empty space after hitting the first block. Furthermore a 100% "emp piercing" effect would not be abled to damage hull-blocks and would instead only damage systems behind the hull. Piercing the hull would still result in lowering the damage to systems behind it tho.

With this system in place, solid ships without any interior would take the most damage which might result in closing the gap between pvp and rp ships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't understand what your suggestion has to do with empty space.

Will empty spaces have any effect on the "bullet" in your suggestion? It sounds like the "bullet" will simply cross the empty space, unaffected, and continue it's damage when it hits the wall.

For example, would the "bullet" in either a punch-through or piercing effect suffer any kind of damage loss or range loss when it crosses an empty space?

I think empty space does a terrific job of subduing the potential damage of a missile on a surface impact, or even an impact farther in, when there are empty gaps. I don't think bullets or beams need to be affected by empty space.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Will empty spaces have any effect on the "bullet" in your suggestion? It sounds like the "bullet" will simply cross the empty space, unaffected, and continue it's damage when it hits the wall.

For example, would the "bullet" in either a punch-through or piercing effect suffer any kind of damage loss or range loss when it crosses an empty space?

I think empty space does a terrific job of subduing the potential damage of a missile on a surface impact, or even an impact farther in, when there are empty gaps. I don't think bullets or beams need to be affected by empty space.
    No, he's wanting the piercing effect to go a certain distance past the point of impact, damaging systems within that distance.

Reaction score

No, the "bullet" wouldn't be abled to cross empty space. A hallway for example (empty space) would stop the piercing effect.

If the ship on the other hand, would just be system-blocks wrapped in hull.. a shot fired from a sufficiently powerful weaponsystem would go right through.

This idea would of course replace only one of the two "line-damage" effects.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Well, this would certainly be interesting... but I don't think it'd solve the issue between system cubes and more RP styled ships. You'd just have system cubes with an entire layer of spaced hull.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, this would certainly be interesting... but I don't think it'd solve the issue between system cubes and more RP styled ships. You'd just have system cubes with an entire layer of spaced hull.
    It wouldn't solve the problem, but it would help somewhat by adding a potential space where you could stuff interiors with little performance penalty.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I feel like this would kill whichever effect was changed. The amount of effort needed to make the effect useless is dangerously low, so much so that it would only be effective against people who do not know the mechanics, or 'old' ships which have a lot of solid sections (old meaning pre-change, assuming this change is taken into effect).