Chairs n' Viewscreens... And stuff?

Do you support this suggestion?

• Yes!

Votes: 85 87.6%
    • Some of it. (Please specify in a post)

Votes: 11 11.3%
    • No!

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've never made a fighter in my life since they seem so... useless.
    Only 'cause Pirates always come at you in groups. Dueling another Fighter-piloting Player, or having a squadron of your buddies take on a large ship is probably fun :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Only 'cause Pirates always come at you in groups. Dueling another Fighter-piloting Player, or having a squadron of your buddies take on a large ship is probably fun :)
    Yes, but realistically, would anyone actually attack anyone or anything else in a fighter? It isn't as though they're of any use against vessels larger than them, or even sometimes turrets their own size because turrets are usually clustered... It just seems so much safer to fly a corvette instead :P

Reaction score
    Dude, I'm not sure what you mean?
    You said that a chair would make a poor choice for the smaller ships, so to actually use it you'd (Not you specifically) be punishing them for wanting to be able have a seat in their fighter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You said that a chair would make a poor choice for the smaller ships, so to actually use it you'd (Not you specifically) be punishing them for wanting to be able have a seat in their fighter.
    Yes, I think forcing a Player to use two blocks (or a block and a half) in addition to the space taken up by the Core would be punishing Players who want to make small ships. That's why I said there should always be the option to dissapear into the Core instead of requiring a Chair to be placed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I know for sure that there is going to be furniture added sometime in the future...

Reactions: Blodge

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, I think forcing a Player to use two blocks (or a block and a half) in addition to the space taken up by the Core would be punishing Players who want to make small ships. That's why I said there should always be the option to dissapear into the Core instead of requiring a Chair to be placed.
    ...And I think that forcing players to have somewhere for a pilot to sit/stand makes sense. But ehh.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...And I think that forcing players to have somewhere for a pilot to sit/stand makes sense. But ehh.
    Yeah, it makes sense it's just awkward on a very small ship. With the Chair linking idea implemented, you have the option to do either.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, it makes sense it's just awkward on a very small ship. With the Chair linking idea implemented, you have the option to do either.
    I'd say that even very small ships with certain tricks and designer with more than a few brain cells between ears can very easily accommodate such cockpit - hell, space for a pilot and his seat in front of a console is not much than a few blocks of difference at the great advantages like being able to target pilots rather than cores, encouraging more intelligent designs that 'let's put magical vortex cube in a mass of blocks - there you go, got a ship' and immersion.

It may be awkward but most designs can be adjusted. Hell, I make quite small ships regularly - what most people build as a fighter, for me - dimension wise - often is a small patroller for a couple of crewmen. Normal, albeit cramped bridge with consoles, corridors etc included.

I'd agree with Ithirahad here, wholeheartedly - I'd like for player characters/npcs to stand/sit in front of consoles when interacting with them, though that should be already readily obvious from my previous posts. And as harsh toward certain designs as it may be - I'd argue there shouldn't be any alternative to the above with exception of completely unmanned ships (where AI module could work the way ship core works now) or, if someone cannot live without horrible magical cubes - great penalties not only to ship's capabilities but player's HUD etc.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No I do not but all I know from what Calibri told me is that they will be implemented...
    Nah, Schema vaguely said that he eventually wanted to implement (presumably working) furniture of some kind, but he never specified anything.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Before any of this can be done, the issue of missiles going through shields and killing ship occupants needs to be fixed, otherwise the only weapons you'll ever see are missiles configured for minimum damage and about 50 blast radius in order to instantly disable a ship by killing the entire crew in one hit. Right now, the only way to protect yourself from such a missile is contorting yourself into the inside of a block which is protected by shields. Probably the best way would be for shields to protect characters that are in gravity or "aligned to" a ship. Once the shields are down, fine, the shockwave of a missile impact should realistically kill crew members inside.

Other than that, I like this general idea. The game needs to stop treating my like a floppy disk and stuffing me inside of computers. I want a chair.

My favorite idea was having a chair block which can be linked to a console, core, or turret dock. I honestly don't care if the ability to squeeze into the core remains or not, but other computers should require a chair, possibly within a certain radius, in order to be used.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Before any of this can be done, the issue of missiles going through shields and killing ship occupants needs to be fixed, otherwise the only weapons you'll ever see are missiles configured for minimum damage and about 50 blast radius in order to instantly disable a ship by killing the entire crew in one hit. Right now, the only way to protect yourself from such a missile is contorting yourself into the inside of a block which is protected by shields. Probably the best way would be for shields to protect characters that are in gravity or "aligned to" a ship. Once the shields are down, fine, the shockwave of a missile impact should realistically kill crew members inside.

Other than that, I like this general idea. The game needs to stop treating my like a floppy disk and stuffing me inside of computers. I want a chair.

My favorite idea was having a chair block which can be linked to a console, core, or turret dock. I honestly don't care if the ability to squeeze into the core remains or not, but other computers should require a chair, possibly within a certain radius, in order to be used.

Yeah, missile explosions need to get blocked and/or dampened by stuff they run into, not just damage a sphere of blocks with no regard for what they are actually running into. But that's a bug, basically, and will be fixed once Schema figures out a good way, presumably.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's way off topic, but... For your information, yes, that's what signs and the new hulls look like. That's... pretty cool. I'll have to get used to the diamonded hull (especially since it'll be all over my ship) but it all looks neat. (Also, that sign projection texture is presumably what the Tab player list and the F1 large chat window will look like as well)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    That's way off topic, but... For your information, yes, that's what signs and the new hulls look like. That's... pretty cool. I'll have to get used to the diamonded hull (especially since it'll be all over my ship) but it all looks neat. (Also, that sign projection texture is presumably what the Tab player list and the F1 large chat window will look like as well)
    oops i thought that it was view screens. my mistake. still we're finally getting signs!

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This thread needs a bump. It's too good to get locked. This stuff really needs to get into the game in some way shape or form.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, thanks Valiant. Was going to bump it; forgot. Regardless, just a random idea, I really wish signs could merge into one giant sign... or heck, maybe you could be able to link your sign(s) to a cockpit and have a view monitor that way! (With a text overlay if you wish)