Cargo Modules - "Invisible Blocks" - cause significant FPS loss

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Because Cargo Modules are "invisible blocks" like Area Triggers, are visible in build mode, and are still being rendered when out of build mode and supposedly invisible, we're rendering every single poly of every single block that's facing the general direction of the camera.

For large storage areas, this means that we're rendering several hundred thousand to over a million blocks, with 2 triangles per face, and up to 3 faces facing the player camera at all time.

This is, of course, as hard on peoples' GPUs as staring at heavily detailed 1km+ ships.

Seriously, get rid of the rendering on hidden faces please. It's breaking peoples' gameplay experience.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Agreed. Even with a fairly beefy GPU (gtx 760), my PC still struggles with even the smallest cargo ships, and who knows how less powerful PCs are coping with it. This is killing my (and likely everyone else's) ability to play properly, and must be fixed immediately.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    IMO eliminate rendering of cargo space blocks entirely, outline only in build mode (like area triggers used to be) a,d zip nada none outside build mode

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    IMO eliminate rendering of cargo space blocks entirely, outline only in build mode (like area triggers used to be) a,d zip nada none outside build mode
    I think cargo blocks should have at least some way of identifying their presence in build mode other than selecting the storage module, but they shouldn't render cargo blocks behind them. It should be more like thick glass or forcefields.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would remember the faces that were used last frame and only add faces that are visible through gaps left over by these faces.

It is easy to detect gaps (rotation left/right? : look for faces that have a closer neighbour right/left - same for up down)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think cargo blocks should have at least some way of identifying their presence in build mode other than selecting the storage module, but they shouldn't render cargo blocks behind them. It should be more like thick glass or forcefields.
    That could work.

Or, along the same line, a re-colored scaffold block (in build mode), scaffold doesn't render other scaffold behind it and is easy to see.

Reactions: Tydeth
    Reaction score
    Best matching thread to my issue.
    I still have this problem - when I turn in the direction on where the cargo space blocks are (my main storage area) - my poor computer's fans start screaming like mad, seriously heating up my PC.....

Before this gets addressed on technical level, does anyone have any suggestions to at least mitigate this?
    My only idea so far is to spread the blocks out in such a way that - when looking in any direction when in the station, only a portion of them is in that direction....

P.S. "I am aware that this thread is ancient, but I still wish to make a reply."

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The easiest fix is to just make cargo blocks solid at all times, so they are rendered like normal blocks. It's a waste of a pretty neat aesthetic mechanic, but it would work. Maybe there could be an option for servers to toggle solid cargo blocks so RP servers where the focus isn't on performance could keep it on whereas PVP servers could opt to toggle animated cargo blocks off to save performance

Reaction score
    Splitting up your storage containers will also help. I only encounter this when I select a storage bin that has tons of cargo blocks attached to it.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Splitting up your storage containers will also help. I only encounter this when I select a storage bin that has tons of cargo blocks attached to it.
    or shoving a load of stuff into cargo pods and throwing them in the void - especially all the stuff you keep you "just might need one day"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    DELETE THIS THREAD!

You'll ruin great tactics like making a fleet out of millions of plant/cargo/trigger blocks and sending them to idle in enemy space, melting your enemy's GPU.