Bug Cannot start game

Reaction score
    Since about a week ago, after an update, I cannot launch the game. The start game button and the start dedicated server button on StarMade starter do nothing but close the StarMade starter. Also after this I get updates almost everyday. I'm not sure there are really this many updates or it's just my problem, but I still can't start the game after these updates anyways. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and GeForce GTX 550 TI

Reaction score
    Open up cmd and run the following two commands:
    Code:
    cd \path\to\StarMade
    java -jar StarMade.jar -force
    (\path\to\StarMade obviously being the path to your StarMade installation, including the StarMade directory)

Reaction score
    Ok so my path is J:\GAMES\StarMade
    I open cmd and first type in cd J:\GAMES\StarMade, press enter
    then type in java - jar StarMade.jar -force
    then I get the error message "Error: Unable to access jarfile StarMade.jar"
    Are any of my steps wrong? What message should I get normally?

Reaction score
    Just to be clear: The StarMade directory I'm talking about is the one created by the StarMade-Starter, so if you have the latter in the directory J:\GAMES\StarMade, you'll have to cd J:\GAMES\StarMade\StarMade.
    If this is the correct directory and the StarMade.jar is missing, then for some reason your installation is broken. You can either try to update using the launcher, or download the latest build from here.

Reaction score
    Yes J:\GAMES\StarMade is created by the StarMade-Starter.
    And StarMade.jar is right inside J:\GAMES\StarMade, so is it not really missing? I already updated the game in the starter today, I'll now try to download it manually.

Reaction score
    Ok I finally got it right. Apparently I have to type in J: before the first command to switch from C: to J:. So now I can launch the game through cmd, but is there a way to make a shortcut or anything so I don't have to go through these commands every time?

Reaction score
    *Deletes post he was just writing*
    Oh, okay, since I'm no Windows user myself I didn't know about that. So the game will run if launched directly via CMD, but not with the starter? :eek:
    You can write all those things you normally would type into the CMD in a batch file. Create a text file with the appropriate contents and change its file extension from txt to bat. It now will be executable. There should alreay be an example in the StarMade directory (for running a server on Windows), too.

Reaction score
    Thanks a lot man, you are really helpful. I know not only me is having such a issue, by any chance do you know if Schema is working on it?

Reaction score
    It is possible that he is working on a new launcher, but he is not working on that particular issue. In fact there was, to my knowledge, only one instance of a similar issue (on OS X).
    ... Interrupting myself, I just got an idea.

Will the game work as intended if you move it from j: to (presumably) c:?

Reaction score
    I haven't try to move it, but I did re-download it on the desktop. I think that's pretty much the same, and the answer is no, it didn't work until I use your method.

Reaction score
    God damn it I thought it really works yesterday, but the game crash almost immediately after I spawn every time I launch the game, then the mouse detached from the game and can click through the game. It's little bit hard to explain, basically if I pause a youtube video and launch the game, after the game crash the screen stay frozen, but I can actually click through the frozen screen and reach the google chrome window behind and play the video. This is just so fucked up. And by the way I can launch the game normally on my weak ass laptop, I think it has the same setting with my desktop pc.

Reaction score
    I will add that I am experiencing the exact same issue.
    I started up my starmade today as usual, but i noticed that i got stuck on connecting whether i used singleplayer or online servers, so i tried with an older starmade starter and i tried lowering some memory in the launcher (I had been experimenting with memory recently as i was getting warnings), but then i got this issue, starmade would simply instantly close with no errors or logs when clicking start in the launcher.
    I tried using a starmade backup, reinstalling starmade, redownloading the starter, restarting pc, reinstalling java, deleting config files, deleting all windows registry files related to starmade, launching starmade server with the bat script (which seemed to work) and launching starmade from the console. After I learned about the -force flag I got starmade to start from the console correctly and everything works once I'm in, but I still can't run starmade with the starter.

EDIT:
    I managed to solve this issue by uninstalling my 32bit java and reinstalling my 64 bit java making starmade run as 64 bit instead of the 32bit it was using.
    It is a bit wierd as I hadn't done any java changes when the issue suddenly started, perhaps it was related to having tried to execute starmade 32bit with an above allowed memory limit which caused a permanent issue, despite turning the memory down again in the launcher (64 bit obv not having an issue with that).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I contacted Calbiri and he sent me to AndyP the head tester. Long story short in my case it's the memory setting's problem. Andy told me to set it to 4096, 512, 256 and the game menu opens normally. The game still crashes due to low on minimum memory so I increased to 4096, 4096, 2048 but this time the game menu won't open.

Reaction score
    I contacted Calbiri and he sent me to AndyP the head tester. Long story short in my case it's the memory setting's problem. Andy told me to set it to 4096, 512, 256 and the game menu opens normally. The game still crashes due to low on minimum memory so I increased to 4096, 4096, 2048 but this time the game menu won't open.
    hate to be a newb but how do i do this, im having the same problem

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm having a problem where when I open the Launcher and click the Start Game button nothing happens. Problem started after I updated to v0.1582.

Reaction score
    Ok, so first open StarMade-starter.exe, on the top left corner you should see the Option button. Click Options and now you should see Memory Settings from the drop down menu. Click Memory Settings and you should be able to change the settings of Client & SinglePlayer and Dedicated Server. In my case the game menu will only opens if Initial Memory is set to 512mb and Early Generation Memory is less than or equals to 256mb, and I set Maximal Memory to 4096mb since my pc got 8gb ram.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Initial Memory already at 512, early generation memory was at 128.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm running this on a Mac OS X version 10.6.8 if that's at all important.

Reaction score
    I tried the CMD thing, and this was the output i got
    View attachment 6381
    i don't know what to do!!!!! help meh!
    I've uninstalled java several times, and reinstalled the latest windows 64 bit version, restarted my computer multiple times, I played with the games memory settings and tried the CMD method multiple times, and the game still just closes promptly after me clicking the "Start Game" button.
    And i've also tried running it as an administrator.