Cannot fire weapons

Reaction score
    Hello all,

this is probably very stupid, but ... I cannot fire weapons ...
    just downloaded the game, started a local play in order to get a feel for what you could do in this game, (didn't change any option, just launched)

using the resources provided at launch, I created a very basic ship : ship core, 3x3x2 power, a few thrusters, a salvage computer & some salvage modules (2 lines of 3)

the issue I'm having is : I select the salvage computer in my hotbar, and click or right click but nothing happens, no beams appear, power doesn't drop ...nothing.

after searching the forums it looks to be mainly a rotation issue so I went in again, deleted everything, ensured the arrow pointed forwards, and recreated the thing. same issue.

so I restarted my local play, this time activating creative mode, and did the same with beam cannons, same issue.

at this point, I'm not sure what I can check / modify, so any help would be very appreciated ....

(I'm on build 0.199.535a btw)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does it says "power failure" or such?
    also salvage beams fire in the direction you place the computer. If it's oriented side-way, maybe your beams are firing and you cant't see it? also you can select which block output the beam by hitting "R" on it.

Hope it helps

Reaction score
    thanks for the advice, but sadly I also tested this :

I put salvage beams pointed in each direction, linked them all to the same salvage computer, set the end block of each as the output and them tried firing in 3rd person, still no beams anywhere, and nothing got mined., no matter how I turned the ship (when firing via right click)

I have no error message when I do this,regarding power or anything else...

so far the only error message I got was when I tried to move a ship that had no thrusters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Rotate the Salvage PC, not the salvage modules. It's the PC that decides firing direction.

Reaction score
    You ARE selecting the computer with "c" and then selecting the appropriate modules with "v", right? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I just have to ask lol

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    hit {delete} while you're inside the ship's core, make sure the salvage system is actually showing that it has connnected blocks. You may also try DOWNLOADING A SAMPLE SHIP and admin-spawning it to make sure your PC actually renders salvage beams.

speaking of making sure you PC renders beams: Check in the graphics options to be sure you have RENDER BEAMS set to true.

Reaction score
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, we are making progress ... sort of ...

I also tried rotating the salvage computer in every direction, but nothing happenned.
    I can confirm that the beam modules are connected to the salvage computer, both as they are "glowing" purple when the salvage computer is selected in build mode.
    I tried to admin spawn a default ship (The Isanth Type 0 B-) but I had the same issue with its cannons, they do not fire.

I would suspect my mouse buttons of not working at this point except that they work fine in build mode, and I wasn't able to find a section in the options where I could rebind them ...

Also, when going in the option the "Draw beams" option is indeed on. (and anyway even after spawning more ships to act as targets, I could do no damage to them, using the Isanth cannons ....

I am playing as guest, in local play, (didn't bother creating accounts when I am not sure if I'll like the game) do you think it can be the cause of my issues ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Got glass in front of your core? you normally can't see beams through glass.

Reaction score
    nope no glass anywhere, I'm doing all of this from a barebones "ship" it has exactly one core in the front, 4 beams modules in a line on the dise, a salvage computer on the other side, and 5 reactors in the back, and that is it.

(it's not really a ship, I'm just trying to understand how the game works)

Reaction score
    This may sound silly, but do you actually have the computer visible and "selected" in the hotbar (by pressing its associated number on the keyboard) prior to firing with the mouse?

Have you tried firing your hand weapon outside if the ship?

Reaction score
    Yes, I also made sure the computer I have selected is indeed linked to the beams (in the weapons assignement scrreen, it doesappears as it has a beam linked to it)

I just tried to fire the hand weapons outside of a ship, and the same thing happens (i.e. nothing) I'm supposing the only thing I have to d ois drag it to the hotbar, select it, and then click, is that right ?

Reaction score
    Yes, I also made sure the computer I have selected is indeed linked to the beams (in the weapons assignement scrreen, it doesappears as it has a beam linked to it)

I just tried to fire the hand weapons outside of a ship, and the same thing happens (i.e. nothing) I'm supposing the only thing I have to d ois drag it to the hotbar, select it, and then click, is that right ?
    Yes, just pop your laser into the hotbar, hit whatever number on your keyboard that corresponds to that hotbar slot, and then hit the mouse button...if it doesn't fire, I'm a bit stumped, lol....unless there is some way that you accidently remapped the "fire" button away from your mouse

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    i'm betting you are actually fireing, but for some reason can't render the shots. TRy shooting your "newbie ship" in the reactor point blank with the handgun for 20-30 seconds. Betting a block or two will suddenly explode.

Either way, we've entered the realm of attaching logfiles, DXdiag information, etc. :)

Reaction score
    Well I guess I should have accepted your bet :)

I spent 2 minutes ( I counted :) ) with left click depressed, but the reactor block did nothing ....

Just to clarify : this is happening on a fresh install, I downloaded the "new" launcher, and started right away (after downloading the game of course) I didn't even go to the options before I got hit with this issue ....

Oh joy ... logfiles ...
    I attached whatever file I could find that looked like a logfile, but, I couldn't see anything related to my issue ... (tell me if another file would be more usefull)
    and as always thanks to everyone who took time to look at my issue and tried to help !

Attachments

Reaction score
    Any chance you have a joystick or controller plugged in that might be interfering?

Reaction score
    Hello,
    sry for the late reply, real life, you know how it is ....

No I don't have controllers plugged in, I have bot ha 360 controller and a joystick, but both are disconnected
    I also have a razer orbweaver, but I have disabled the corresponding HID devices so it isn't recognized as a controller ( had the issue with several othergames)

Reaction score
    Im having a similar issue. So far what I have noticed is that no weapon actually works with left or right click (be it a personal weapon or a ship weapon). I have tried this with multiple admin spawned ship blueprints but no dice. I can place blocks outside of the ships build mode but I cannot remove them, not sure if the 2 are related. Would really like a solution soon so that I can start playing the game.

Reaction score
    Going back on the 'glass in front of your core' theory: have you tried going into 3th person before firing?
    Another thing that is very unlikely, but possible: maybe you accidently switched the 'fire weapon' button option in the keyboard-settings. (Is it even possible to change that??).

Reaction score
    I checked the settings because I also thought that might be the issue but no dice, there are no settings that allow you to change you fire default as far as I can see. My '/' command still says that it is left click and right click for fire and alternate. I have tried firing in third person and I still haven't seen a beam.