Building Gatling Cannon, need help

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am trying to build a 4 barreled rotating cannon (like a Gatling Cannon). I only want each barrel to fire when it is in the top dead center position. I tried adding an area trigger to the back of each rotating barrel with a post on the non rotating base. When the barrel spun around and entered the post area it would fire the barrel, but area triggers wont work with two entities that are attached to each other with a rail docker and rotator. BUG #1986 addressed this concern but Schema rejected it as being an inefficient method. Does someone know how to set up a RAIL ROTATOR so it will only output a signal when it is in a certain rotational position or only once per complete revolution?

UPDATE: I slaved eight ACTIVATION MODULES to the RAIL ROTATOR and it will only output a signal after one full rotation. I guess each slaved activation module allows the rotater to turn 45 degrees (8 X 45 deg = 360 degrees). However this only solves the problem of ONE barrel.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    rails activate nearby activation blocks if something passes over them.
    or if a rotator stops.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Why don't you let the barrels rotate in steps of 90°?
    I can make the barrels rotate in steps of 90deg but each time it stops and a signal is output ALL the barrels fire. I want just the UPPER barrel to fire.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    First off, have every barrel be its own gun (separate cannon computers)
    Next put an area trigger on each barrel so that when it rotates and passes through the top it fires. Make sure the area triggers dont hit any blocks except for the top.
    Hope that works I honestly have no clue if it will :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Next put an area trigger on each barrel so that when it rotates and passes through the top it fires
    I tried putting area triggers on the back of each cannon, but area triggers won't trigger when the two entities are attached to each other with a rail docker (see bug #1986), somehow I need to trick the area trigger and the trigger block into reading each other.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is not possible, because you cannot have a fast enough clock to even remotely keep up with a 100% cannon/cannon system.

The best way is to fake the entire gatling part, and have a hidden cannon/cannon system behind that.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    What if they want to use lone cannon or cannon/beam combos for the damage/range increase, and are trying to build a gatling setup to supplement fire rate?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i think it is possible, with some complex logic, let me see i can build one or not :P
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430786967,1430783747][/DOUBLEPOST]here we are:)

surprisingly the logic is not that complex as i thought, just a bit tricky on timing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Awesome Gamel, thanks! That is just what mine looks like only without all the logic to make it work right. Though I don't understand why we can't just put area triggers on the back of each barrel so they trigger when passing a block, it seems like it would be so much easier, but there must be a reason I don't understand. But once again, thank you!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Here's mine, unfortunately I need to make sure the barrel is in the right position before it will fire properly.

The only circuit you can't see is 4 AND gates behind the gun but they only stop it from firing when I turn it off and have to rotate the barrel. I did manage to get the toggles to return to their proper state to begin firing again but unfortunately not being able to know what the exact rotation of the barrel is means that has to be manually returned to zero (the barrel marked by the one cannon barrel facing down).

Last edited: