Build ship. IMMEDIATELY destroyed.

Reaction score
    If you don\'t want to cheat but are still really desperate for resources and can\'t make a good enough ship using starting blocks, you could try to build a stealth salvager.

It will need to be mostly power blocks with one stealth module and just enough thrusters to move it, and small salvage cannons. Do not add anything else to it, not even hull, weapons or shields because the more blocks you add, the more power the cloaking module requires.

You\'ll be able to cruise around slowly while cloaked, and harvest some resources at a slow rate, while being safe. If pirates appear, cloak and sneak to somewhere else. Just keep in mind that using the salvage cannons will uncloak you, as well as exiting the ship.

Once you have enough blocks you won\'t have to worry so much. Build a ship with turrets on it when you have enough resources, even just two turrets. Isanths can\'t stand up to turrets, not even in packs.

Here is an example of how to build a stealth salvager. It is only 21 blocks and is inexpensive, and can infinite cloak. The salvage speed is very slow, but as long as you\'re getting valuable stuff like glass, it will get you money and resources.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You separated the power blocks from being a rough \"T-L\" shape to make them independent spikes?

That would give you better power per block.

Reaction score
    Probably. I just cobbled something together really fast to show that it is possible to do with very few blocks, and very cheaply. I\'m sure it can be arranged better.

My actual stealth salvager that I made is much larger with bigger salvage cannons with a 10x5 power core based on a fairly standard configuration. I don\'t really need it anymore though because my main ship eats pirates. Half those green triangles are my ship. -.-

Reaction score
    Without the connection I\'m getting less power/block than what the screenshot shows, unless I\'m not understanding what you mean by independent spikes.

Reaction score
    Yeah, there\'s a weird thing with power blocks.

With say a core of only three blocks, you get better power if none of them touch. With blocks that could fill out more dimensions though, it\'s better to link them so they represent a large area.

Furthermore, where you place the arms doesn\'t really matter. With this 5x5x5 core I could have moved the top arm to one of the ends, and it would be the same output as long as it extends 4 blocks from the core axis. Having 2 blocks stick out each side is also equivalent to 4 blocks sticking out one side.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    @Zenithas The most effecient power is a single unconnected group of blocks that always increase the X Y or Z dimensions. - a straight line is as good as an L or a T if the number of blocks are the same.

The SS i see is exactly that.

(That\'s the most amount of power you can get from 13 power blocks)

Edit: @ardiel

That\'s actually something i didn\'t know :O. - You\'re 100% right. If you\'re going to have less than 7 power blocks on your ship, you\'re better off placing them seperately! At 7+ power blocks, you\'\'re better off grouped, just barely. o_O.

Reaction score
    Haha yeah, I learned that while I was trying to beef up the Isanth without increasing its size or reducing the interior space too much. I had to experiment a lot to stuff everything in but I managed to give it a significant increase without changing the hull size or decreasing the interior (just rearranging it so that it was split in half with power columns in the middle)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, I just did a field test with that in mind. 13 power blocks, in various arrangements. I found that yes, the three-axis-single-lines is just as good as single lines. Odd to my understanding, but hey, SCIENCE!

I\'ll post the results (courtesy of the help by Nargosvoge) on my upcoming \"so you started\" page.

Reaction score
    @Zenithas: Your comment does not make any sense, because this guy is simply right.

For a complete newcomer to the game, how should he know how to adjust the game so it will become playable? This is something that should be set-up in the first place, so it is StarMade\'s fault.

Normally games have a difficulty curve... This one has NONE. There will be isanths at the start, and isanths at the end. At the start they seem like gods, at the end they seem like a joke.

A lot of players aren\'t even looking at StarMade multiplayer because they ragequit from the single player experience, this is not how it should be... Unless schema is planning on a small community.

Of course.. The game is WIP, but at least make it playable for newcomers so they actually stay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    guy is simply right

No, he\'s not. He didn\'t levy a question. So in response to a generalised, ambiguous need for help, I gave generalised, ambiguous responses. He could have said \"how do I X then?\". Instead, he took the menu, tore it in half, set it on fire, then screamed at me while sharting over the back wall. But that\'s in the past now. And like I say in the post, in case of confusion, there\'s some more specific questions later. I would have edited the bulk of it, but I\'m fastidious about records.

Maybe next time I\'ll just move the important links to the top, so that when people don\'t read through the post I make, they at least have a fun link to follow somewhere else.

For a complete newcomer to the game, how should he know how to adjust the game so it will become playable? This is something that should be set-up in the first place, so it is StarMade\'s fault.

You say \"tomato\", I say \"don\'t baby players just because some games are hard\".

A lot of players aren\'t even looking at StarMade multiplayer because they ragequit from the single player experience, this is not how it should be...

From what I\'ve seen, a lot of players aren\'t even sticking around on my server, because they can\'t spawn in gigantic blueprints they saw online and leave them floating around at spawn within 2 minutes of loading in.

Unless schema is planning on a small community.

Such small. Much tiny. Wow.

Reaction score
    A game can be hard, if the difficulty curve gradually increases as you progress.

Confronting new players with hard enemies from start, that see you from 1.2 sectors away, and follow your tail till you get bored of flying is not hard, it is simply bad game design, which is understandable... The game is in alpha, but still, it doesn\'t leave a good impression.

If a lot of players aren\'t sticking around at your server, then something is simply wrong with your server, and not with the players... Up to you is the task to find out what... That is if you care about your server/community.

And if you honestly think this here is a large community, then you have seen very little of the internet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://star-made.org/content/needing-volunteers-new-guide

Fine. Then help with the help.

As for players sticking around - the ones I talk about just want instant gratification. No effort. No interest in putting in time. That\'s not something we\'re keeping.

And for me caring? I\'m the \"asshole admin\". I just help keep the damn server running. I\'m not a taxi (\"can u tp me\"), I\'m not a charity (\"make me some blokz\"), I\'m not a police officer (\"they killed my ship\"). That\'s what the game is about - overcoming challenges and stuff like that.

Reaction score
    The issue isn\'t that starting out needs explanation... There\'s a wiki page link at the frontpage explaining you how to start out, better to edit that instead. And I help too... But I feel like it won\'t lead to anything to make a thread, since it won\'t get stickied anyway and simply disappears in the horde of posts... I\'ll wait for the new website before doing anything else, I already made a guide on how to get the game running: http://star-made.org/content/how-start-playing-starmade-dummies

But.. There is simply an issue with the unforgiving AI, which is somehow 100% accurate even if you put accuaracy to 0, and AI pirates follow you at all times, sniffing you from 1.2 sectors away, without stopping to chase you at all, so you get no chance to start out decently if you run into pirates (and of course, they start spawning all over the place the longer you play, without despawning). I\'d even go as far as saying that turning off pirates by default would make it easier for players to understand the game first before diving into battles they cannot win.

Instead of denying this fact, you should acknowledge the issue, because there really is one. You cannot expect newcomers to read a guide before starting to play, and you cannot expect them to know every little thing about the game they\'re going to play... The game is supposed to teach them that naturally as they go, without making this too hard or impossible. Luck should not be the biggest factor in this learning stage, because right now it all depends on wether you run into pirates or not early-game. People HATE to lose their ship, I can tell you that.

About your server, it\'s odd that you get lots of those players then, perhaps you should state somewhere in the ads that the server is not for spawning in big stuff.

And obviously, a proper admin doesn\'t act as taxi, charity or police officer, this is and should be the standard for each server that respects survival gameplay, our server has exact the same ideas in that regard. You don\'t have to be an \"asshole admin\" to follow all this :P

But what I meant with caring, has mostly to do with your stance towards your players. If you are helpful to them, explaining them game mechanics, server mechanics, giving them tips about how to survive or to make money, then you are a caring admin. You inspire other people to play, and give them ideas.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    you could very easily give yourself some credits, because spawn traps like that are kinda unfair. You could also give yourself some blocks. The command for both are:

/give_credits kiwionthemoon 100000

/giveid kiwionthemoon [item id] 100000

for the item id look it up on the forums

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Welcome, Amra, to our little community here.

A quick tip, try not to be insulting or appear to be insulting when someone gives you legitimate advice. It makes others less inclined to help you.

Also, please, look into your question before posting something and accusing people of being adolescent keyboard warriors.

We appreciate it.