Build Block Fix

Reaction score
    Perhaps implement this feature for non-creative types of game modes.

A simple idea I had to keep the build block from ruining vanilla single player/server economies. If the ability to remove blocks while in build block mode only applied to blocks placed by a player (any player) then this would prevent players from being able to power delete planets for resources, while at the same time still allow them to build quickly (and even quickly delete what they have built).

Implementing this would also give players an incentive to use salvage ships with salvage cannons. As it stands it is far easier (and more effective) to just build block salvage a planet, or a starbase after you destroy the faction block. In essence the build block is currently a far more effective salvage ship than you could ever build.

On the topic of asteroids, this would allow the player to place a build block and still build on the asteroid - knowing that the only blocks he'll be able to delete in build block mode are the ones that he placed (not the asteroid blocks).

This could probably be implemented (code-wise) with a simple identifier, and you could explain it away in the 'science' of the game as a 'quantum ID', 'phase discrimenator', or what have you.

Reaction score
    I feel this idea would be too limiting. Sure, it would solve the problem, but create another by limiting creativity. With this solution, a player couldn\'t create tunnels as a part of their asteroid base, nor could they properly edit a naturally generated station that they\'ve just moved into.

The solution the Devs have come up with for the future would solve both problems of mining planets by placing a build block & deleting blocks en masse, and not limiting creativity. ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I support both, the OP and your post.

Just enable un-build with lag if salvage cannons are connected to the BB. Each placed salvage cannon increases ability activation delay by 60 seconds, thus you can\'t just spam them, but use them if you place them yesterday at your base or switch BBs for less delay?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I wouldn\'t say that this would limit creativity as much as you think, you could still use salvage beams after all becuase well removing blocks from your station/asteriod base, you wouldn\'t be able to tell the diffrence \"Is the player making a tunnel? Or is he mineing?\"

But i am sure we\'ll find a solution to this.

Reaction score
    -1, Imagine if you moved in a npc station. Just think.

Also, what if a friend built a station for you

CES

Reaction score
    Easier solution, I think: just no removing in Build Mode over 2 blocks at a time unless they check the Do not keep removed blocks button.

Reaction score
    I think this works better than the faction block idea, since the only thing you can get from removing is the stuff you originally placed. It should be only able to remove and place blocks connected to the stuff you/your faction built

Reaction score
    As it stands, a player cannot use the build block on an asteroid at all. Also the player could build tunnels via astronaut mode.

You would be able to edit a naturally generated station just fine - it would just take a little bit longer because you wouldn\'t be able to quickly delete blocks (something that you must not be allowed to do if block value is to ever have any real meaning), however you would still be able to quickly add any blocks that you salvaged or harvested otherwise.

What is this solution that the Devs have come up with for the future that you mention?

Reaction score
    If a friend built a station for you, you would be able to power delete with a build block because he meets the requirements of \'a player\'. Basically if ANY player placed the block, then it is eligible for quickly deleting from within build mode. Essentially the blocks become part of the \'block currency\' if they have been placed by a player.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As it stands, a player cannot use the build block on an asteroid at all

Afaik that is wrong. You can make it belonging to your faction and then place a BB.

Reaction score
    What about spawned ships? What if i spawn a ship, then decide i want to tear it apart, or alter a large chunk of it?

Reaction score
    Npc stations, what if I want to destroy a planet and build a hull planet around it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Brought from the catalog? of course you should be able to alter it, it is your ship now.

Spawned by command? Then you could require permission from an admin.

Reaction score
    But the proposed change is to mark blocks that are player placed, which a spawned ship, in any form, is not player placed.

Reaction score
    Point is I dont like this idea. Its too limiting. As it is the manual removal of blocks is either too inaccurate and fast, or accurate but too slow. Disallowing the removal of blocks from a build block will severly hinder the game.

The concirn for abuse is valud, but no method proposed adiquatly addresses every issue people have. Its better off left as is and just consider it highly frowned upon to be used for the removal of planets. Personally I never have nor will use build blocks to devour planets for blocks. Salvage ships do a better job IMO, and its not like its difficult to make a super salvage ship that can eat a planet faster then a build block, so the point is all in all a moot one. Build blocks are fine as they are.

Reaction score
    Simply make ships spawned via the player qualify for the \'placed by a player\' requirement. This is a proposed implementation for a survival type play mode. Not for total creative. By all means, keep this proposed feature out of creative - it only inhibits creative features.

As for a survival type mode, it is sorely needed though. It makes it so that gathering materials is actually somewhat challenging. While it would be nice if everyone would just not abuse the creative properties of the build block - you know that wont happen. Which is why a lot of servers right now outright remove the build block entirely.

For those players who want a non-creative mode type of game play something has to be done about the build block - because it allows access to an almost creative mode type of gameplay (near infinite money and resources aquired stupidly fast)