Broken Economy *HUGE PROBLEM*

Reaction score
    Money / Credits are irrelevant at this moment in Starmade, due to problems with Shops and Trade space stations.

ie, all shops and trade stations have a fixed base price, meaning when you see cheap stuff ie. shield systems around 2000-2999 price, you can buy ALL items from that one shop or trade station and then fly to a 2nd shop or trade station that has the shield systems on 5000-6999 price range, and then sell all the items.

( shops and trade stations have fixed prices +- quantity of stuff in the actual warehouse ( only minor effect on price ).

So all in all, when a player starts in a new server, he or she can do 2 000 000 000 credits inside 1 hour of gaming (i know , i can do it easily).

Only exeption to the rule is, servers that have no shops or trade stations OR the admins have changed the prices heavily.

*** Solution would be that ALL shops and trade stations would have fixed prices that differ MAX 5% from low to max stations, AND shield modules and ion modules should be 99% reduced from all NPC stations ***

At its current form, anyone "trading" can quaddruple his or hers money in 1 trade run that takes 5min to make (1min with jump ship) so inside 1 hour of gaming one can max out his or hers credits. = BROKEN ECONOMY.

thank you for your time, <3

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It's not that urgent, you even stated that credits are worthless today, anyway...

Reaction score
    It's not that urgent, you even stated that credits are worthless today, anyway...
    You misunderstan the issue, CREDITS are worthless DUE to the broken economy.

With endless credits you can buy 250 000 capacitors and 250 000 shield rechargers inside 1 hour with good jumpship (on a populated server).

I bought these amounts inside 2 hours when i started on a server.

= Broken Economy

And yes, it seriously need fixing, as with this economy system you can clean out every shop and tradestation inside the game = endless resources

Some advanced armor, you just buy a ETA station with 1.8 bil and salvage/dismantle it (= 1mil grey advanced armor and around 50 k capacitors and 50k shield rechargers).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421071749,1421071427][/DOUBLEPOST]Why even have a economy if you can just buy/clean out all shops and tradestations and buy all derelict and pirate statations.

????

Reaction score
    How did you get the money to buy the cheap items in the first place? Server config gave you an amount. And how are you to know what is and is not cheap? Having to run around and find shops and write stuff down.

If you want to spend your first "hour" doing trade runs that's up to you and the server config for making it easy. I'll be giving almost no money to people and limiting what the shops have to make the server while increase yields from mining to focus on that aspect of the game.

While I agree that the default config is no where near a hardcore economy setting, there is plenty to change to make the money grabbing process to make it less amount money. Just mess with the configs. The economy does need work overall but it is not an urgent issue.

Reaction score
    25 000 at start and selling all you have gives you around 300 000

325 000 , 1st trade 1.2 million
    1.2 million , 2nd trade 4.8 million
    4.8 million , 3rd trade 13 million
    13 million , 4th trade 50 million
    50 million , 5th trade 200 million
    200 million , 6th trade 800 million
    800 million , 7th trade maxed out credits 2 billion and modules in cargo hold worth 600 million.

Time used to trade runs 35 minutes to 60 minutes , ~so so

Done that multiple times now.

***All shops prices are Fixed prices (all items are % x amount of the default price +- items in station , that effect the price 1-2% only) Thus its possible to do endless money in Starmade easily with ZERO stress and the time usage is very very low***

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    price, you can buy ALL items from that one shop or trade station and then fly to a 2nd shop or trade station that has the shield systems on 5000-6999 price range, and then sell all the items.
    this is actually a game mechanic - shops prices are based upon their stock, so if they have a lot of items, they buy for a cheap price and if they have few they buy for an expensive price. it's trade running, and exists also in the game elite dangerous;

Reaction score
    Thats actually false. The amounts only reflect 1-3% price change, when the shops themselves have normal to +300% fixed hard coded price ranges.

Every shop and Trade station has a FIXED price in them

Meaning even if a shop or trade station has the same amount of items in them, the price is not the same.

So finding a cheap fixed price station or shop and finding a fixed high price station, actually ruins the game economy.

Reaction score
    You realize that this game is still in alpha don't you? economy balancing usually comes much later into the beta stage of a game, so it isn't really that much of an important issue at the moment. Especially when not all the features have been implemented.

Whilst I agree that in its current state it is broken, i just don't think it's that urgent for the game in its current development stage. Besides the level of customisability of the economy, allows for a reasonable economy which is rare for a game in alpha.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    You realize that this game is still in alpha don't you? economy balancing usually comes much later into the beta stage of a game, so it isn't really that much of an important issue at the moment. Especially when not all the features have been implemented.

Whilst I agree that in its current state it is broken, i just don't think it's that urgent for the game in its current development stage. Besides the level of customisability of the economy, allows for a reasonable economy which is rare for a game in alpha.
    Fuck you, I hear this argument all the time and it's bullshit. This is the very point in development when balancing would actually happen. I play with Bloodlance, and he's telling the truth. The whole idea behind the blueprint/crafting changes was to make it nigh impossible to get a titan after 2-3 hours of playtime. This exploit makes this whole feature moot. Yes, trading is supposed to be a thing. However, being able to buy out spawn shop and go around selling items for a 300-400% profit is fucking ridiculous. Justifying it with "oh its an ALFAAAAA" is just kicking the can further down the road. I'd rather have the economy, such a major and integral part of gameplay FIXED now rather in four months after we've crammed more features which will require additional balancing. That way the new features can be balanced against/with the current system.

fucking SAME

Reaction score
    i am posting this thread so its a known issue, and not just disregarded.

And yes, this problem is game breaking issue.

Also this generates the problem that new players will be discouraged to play the game due to people abusing the market side of the game to get a titan in one day of gaming.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Fuck you, I hear this argument all the time and it's bullshit. This is the very point in development when balancing would actually happen. I play with Bloodlance, and he's telling the truth. The whole idea behind the blueprint/crafting changes was to make it nigh impossible to get a titan after 2-3 hours of playtime. This exploit makes this whole feature moot. Yes, trading is supposed to be a thing. However, being able to buy out spawn shop and go around selling items for a 300-400% profit is fucking ridiculous. Justifying it with "oh its an ALFAAAAA" is just kicking the can further down the road. I'd rather have the economy, such a major and integral part of gameplay FIXED now rather in four months after we've crammed more features which will require additional balancing. That way the new features can be balanced against/with the current system.

fucking SAME
    Agreed, but I think the balancing is going on as we speak, from what I've heard of Calbiri. I remember he's in charge of the balancing.

i am posting this thread so its a known issue, and not just disregarded.

And yes, this problem is game breaking issue.

Also this generates the problem that new players will be discouraged to play the game due to people abusing the market side of the game to get a titan in one day of gaming.
    IT'S ALREADY A KNOWN ISSUE. THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH. I'M FINE WITH WAITING. THIS SHIT TAKES TIME.

Reaction score
    Shops and Trade station prices are hardcoded to one specific % , changing it to same ranges +-5% is not hard, it takes 10 minutes.

Also, i glanced thru the forums, and did not find direct talk about the economy being BROKEN.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Agreed, but I think the balancing is going on as we speak, from what I've heard of Calbiri. I remember he's in charge of the balancing.
    I haven't seen calbiri around much lately tho.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Shops and Trade station prices are hardcoded to one specific % , changing it to same ranges +-5% is not hard, it takes 10 minutes.

Also, i glanced thru the forums, and did not find direct talk about the economy being BROKEN.
    It's been discussed to death in the chat, even with the devs.

I haven't seen calbiri around much lately tho.
    Because he's working ;)

Reaction score
    When one aspect of the game is as broken as it is, the game itself gets a lot less attention.

So 10 minutes of balancing the shop and trade station prices to sane levels should not be a problem.

MIN <-> MAX , maximum difference 5% , item availability 1-5% difference

fixed.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor

IT'S ALREADY A KNOWN ISSUE. THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH. I'M FINE WITH WAITING. THIS SHIT TAKES TIME.
    wow chill, i didn't even know about this issue...

Reactions: Bloodlance
    Reaction score
    I agree but I think the price variance could be a bit more. Honestly anything that smoothes the progression curve so we have smaller ships flying around on average instead of a mass of easily-obtainable cap ships would be appreciated

EDIT: Just tried it on a server. Spawn had shield capacitors for 400 some credits, a shop 15 km away for over 4000 credits. Yeah, definately needs to be fixed.

Last edited: