Votes: 28 100.0%
    • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So had a idea about having beacons that broadcast messages to the chat window when they get picked up on scanners.

Simple idea really, you scan a system and if there's a beacon within a few sectors it puts up a message in chat like "Eat at Joe's", "No Trespassing" or "Minefield ahead".

Thoughts?

Update: here's what we've discussed so far.
    1. A broadcaster block is put on and entity that stores a message for others to read.
    2. Scanners pick up these messages and display them in a separate tab in the scanner window.
    3. Messages have the option to include coordinates of the location of the broadcaster block or another location pertaining to the messagend.
    4. Permissions for who can read the messages like public, faction only, faction and allies, etc.
    5. Data formating like wether a rail dockers is occupied or other info could be possible.
    I'll update as more ideas come up.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hmm...

One sec...

*Leaves room.*

*Thinks for an hour.*

*Comes back.*

Yes?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Not only that, but make 'em super-bright! Oh, and allow us to target them as a hyperspace jump destination.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That'd be nice, plus have faction messages to non faction members, "No Trespassing, violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

Reaction score
    I think it would also be nice to add a strobe affect ass well so they can blink w/o logic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think it would also be nice to add a strobe affect ass well so they can blink w/o logic
    Hunh?
    Oh, you mean the beacon block. That's different, we're talking about a configurable chat message for when a ship enters an area.

At least, That's what I thought...

Reaction score
    Why? What's so bad about logic...?
    For very small situations like a small escape pod. It would be nice to have a blinking beacon broadcasting a distress signal.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445438773,1445438703][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hunh?
    Oh, you mean the beacon block. That's different, we're talking about a configurable chat message for when a ship enters an area.

At least, That's what I thought...
    From the title of the thread I was thinking changes to beacons but I can see the confusion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    For very small situations like a small escape pod. It would be nice to have a blinking beacon broadcasting a distress signal.
    Ooh,,, That could be fun. Maybe have "the ball" like in BSG as blinking for assisted landers on cramped landing decks.

Reaction score
    Eh... I see what you mean... yeah-- oh wait-- no. You know how we have a logic block for a lot of different things that can be done with existing ones? Flip-flops, buttons and all that. Why not add a new clock block? Compact, small and perfect.

Reaction score
    Either solution would work. But I do definitely like the idea of beacons broadcasting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Either solution would work. But I do definitely like the idea of beacons broadcasting.
    IN that case an we talk about the possibility of having spotlights for illumination and directed light and have beacons be primarily for the purpose mentioned here?

Reactions: wolfboyft

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Data-broadcasting beacons would have so many uses for all kinds of things. Space-station greetings, race announcements, pirate wave announcements, pirates broadcasting false S.O.S. signals, etc.

It should be logic-drivable, so you can turn different beacons on and off. Maybe have a master-slave relationship to display modules, to define exactly what message is displayed at any given time, again, all controlled with logic.

It should be drive-able with detection rings, too, with variables available, such as <shipname> and <pilotname>.

Station Example: depending on what's docked where, a space station could broadcast multiple docking ports available.
    "Welcome to Toche Station."
    "Dock 01 (max-dim: 143x72x497) is available for docking. Approach on vector 0, 0, 1."
    "Dock 03 (max-dim: 143x73x497) is available for docking. Approach on vector 0, 0, -1."
    "Dock 04 (max-dim: 277x277x999) is available for docking. Approach on vector -1, 0, 0."
    "Dock 02 is occupied at this time."

Racing Ring Example:
    "Leading at ring 17 is the <shipname>, piloted by <pilotname>."

Random Player Ship-Beacon example:
    "This is the H.M.S. Pinafore. You have been tracked on my scanners, and are violating my airspace. Prepare to die."

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    "I am the captain of the pinafore... and a right good captain too..."
    Props to whoever can name the source of that quote.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Data-broadcasting beacons would have so many uses for all kinds of things. Space-station greetings, race announcements, pirate wave announcements, pirates broadcasting false S.O.S. signals, etc.

It should be logic-drivable, so you can turn different beacons on and off. Maybe have a master-slave relationship to display modules, to define exactly what message is displayed at any given time, again, all controlled with logic.

It should be drive-able with detection rings, too, with variables available, such as <shipname> and <pilotname>.

Station Example: depending on what's docked where, a space station could broadcast multiple docking ports available.
    "Welcome to Toche Station."
    "Dock 01 (max-dim: 143x72x497) is available for docking. Approach on vector 0, 0, 1."
    "Dock 03 (max-dim: 143x73x497) is available for docking. Approach on vector 0, 0, -1."
    "Dock 04 (max-dim: 277x277x999) is available for docking. Approach on vector -1, 0, 0."
    "Dock 02 is occupied at this time."

Racing Ring Example:
    "Leading at ring 17 is the <shipname>, piloted by <pilotname>."

Random Player Ship-Beacon example:
    "This is the H.M.S. Pinafore. You have been tracked on my scanners, and are violating my airspace. Prepare to die."
    All great examples, especially the docking example. That would go perfect with my station, since it has a control tower / port authority for directing traffic in the docks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    All great examples, especially the docking example. That would go perfect with my station, since it has a control tower / port authority for directing traffic in the docks.
    As well as that, monitor stations on the edge of your territory: You'll know if they come in range. Then you can send units out accordingly.

Reactions: Zaphord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe I should've titled this thread "Broadcast Beacons". Sorry, I was rushing out the door when I posted.

Anyway, I think there should be setting that allow you to broadcast co-ordinates too, with an option to broadcast only to friendlies so pirate players and enemies can't find your trade station.

Having this on a ship as an auto-broadcaster would be handy too, instant S.O.S. of sorts that's activated from your hotbar. That brings up an interesting point, if the broadcast is activated via hotbars or logic, it sends out the message to anyone within range that's set to be able to receive it (with a cool down to cut down on excessive spamming). If the broadcaster is on a station, for instance, then the message goes out to anyone who uses their scanner within range.

Reaction score
    Would there be the potential to make specific channels for the beacons to broadcast on. Like a faction channel and then a public channel?
    I could see this being useful as signal relays or something of the sort.