BRING THE DISLIKE BUTTON BACK!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    We need to bring the dislike button back. Because some stuff just needs to be disliked...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Could always just ignore it and let it die. Disagree was mostly used for people arguing with each other, so it basically lost most of it's value there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Pfft, the whole system is still somewhat pointless in my opinion and reeks of social media crap. If you disagree just articulate why in a post. I'm really quite neutral to the whole thing now since I know it's not going anywhere. As long as posts don't start getting bumped up or hidden over others I'll deal with it.

I like the older forum style where there was only a "thanks" button for helpful posts. At least "informative" is pretty much that.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the older forum style where there was only a "thanks" button for helpful posts. At least "informative" is pretty much that.
    IXdisagreeXwithXthisXcompletely!

As long as posts don't start getting bumped up or hidden over others I'll deal with it.
    That's the issue.
    You can (not bump) posts if you like/agree, but you can bump them with a post disagreeing.

Being able to put an :eek:Eek, o_OEr... what? or smiley below a post would be more helpful.

It would look more like a personal opinion and less like there is something wrong with the suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    That's the issue.
    You can (not bump) posts if you like/agree, but you can bump them with a post disagreeing.
    To clarify, I didn't mean the topic itself. I meant posts within a topic. Like the godawful system Reddit uses that cultivates a circlejerk. Thank god we don't have that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    One of the most interesting things about the suggestions, is that good ideas just die. I've been in several great suggestions, great ones that would be a great addition to the game, and there were many people supporting and modifying it until there was nothing really left to argue about and a consensus had been reached. And others just never really had anything to change, and no one felt like saying that that's a great idea. Just buried in the wave of new posts.

A few examples:

So, what I propose is that When a thread is liked, it gets shot back to the front. This would make good ideas last longer...

PS, take a look at the ideas too while you're at it...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    When a thread is liked, it gets shot back to the front
    That would create a whole new kind of necro... it isn't hard to unlike then like again, and would result in people like-bumping their own threads. If people wanted to get a thread more attention, you can already bump it by posting. Maybe instead of just saying "Bump", people can reiterate why the thread was a good idea in the first place, because reading through 3+ pages isn't something everyone wants to do, especially if it's just a concluded argument.

Things don't need an obsessive amount of attention to get noticed either, and the council should be able to make sure the really good ones are noticed. It's hard to tell what is just a good idea to us, and what will fit into the master plan that no one really knows but the Lord above (Schema).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And others just never really had anything to change, and no one felt like saying that that's a great idea. Just buried in the wave of new posts.
    Doesn't that draw peoples toward dislike "spam", where "spam" is dependent on personal opinion?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430118067,1430117716][/DOUBLEPOST]
    If people wanted to get a thread more attention, you can already bump it by posting. Maybe instead of just saying "Bump", people can reiterate why the thread was a good idea in the first place, because reading through 3+ pages isn't something everyone wants to do, especially if it's just a concluded argument.
    The problem are posts which don't add something new to the thread.

Perhaps a thread should have 3 columns :
    1. additions to the idea = linking to synergy threads, posting more details which haven't been said jet.
    2. pro+contra = why something is good, not good.
    3. off-topic / arguing about arguments = something that should have been said per PM, but you want others which stumble upon to be able to see too.
    • Scrolling one should scroll other bigger ones faster.
    • You will never avoid that peoples mix these three.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive

1. additions to the idea = linking to synergy threads, posting more details which haven't been said jet.
    3. off-topic / arguing about arguments = something that should have been said per PM, but you want others which stumble upon to be able to see too.
    Faster scrolling over longer posts, sounds about as fun as Mouse acceleration in games. I'll give you a hint, it isn't.

You will never find anyone using 3, because everyone ignores posts with the intend of attention seeking most times, or they basically derail the thread.
    It does not sounds like a system with any merit, and would still result in people skipping through pages. I've used image sites that allow filtering of pictures, but it doesn't adjust the pages, it just hides the "unwanted" ones, sometimes ended up with almost empty pages. That is actually far less interesting to scroll through, and would lead to more page skipping than anything.

Summarizing a thread shouldn't be too hard for people who really support it, as they would have read it all, and there are some people who are more likely to read the bump-post before the necro'd thread, so there is merit to doing a proper 'bump'.

TL;DR - am against an overly complicated system that only helps people to be lazy.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Faster scrolling over longer posts, sounds about as fun as Mouse acceleration in games. I'll give you a hint, it isn't.
    Add - p/n - off 0PAdd - p/n - off
    Add - p/n - off 1 Add - p/n - off
    Add -
    p/n - off 2 Add - p/n - off

Add - p/n - off 3 Add - p/n - off
    Add - p/n - off 4 Add - p/n - off
    Add - p/n - off 5
    Add - p/n - off 6
    Add - p/n - off 7

Last edited: