Remove stars from procedural background

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Delete non-exisiting stars from skybox
    So now we have 2 types of stars in skybox.
    1. Stars that are generated by procedural background.
    2. Stars that really exist but are far away.
    (if You don't know what I'am talking about check this out: https://twitter.com/star_made/status/515681356127293440 )

I suggest to remove first one type of stars. It will be easier to navigate in space because You will see belt of stars shining from Your galaxy not any false ones.

Make intelligent clouds in procedural background
    I would also suggest to make clouds in procedural background match Your position in galaxy. So if You're at borders of galaxy then star belt should be mixsed with cloud but other parts of universe should be black.

I mean something like this:
    http://www.green-report.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/cerul-noaptea.jpg
    You can see milk way if there are no any city lights nearby and no clouds.

Example:

Where I was while taking screenshoot:

How Galaxy look from here without fake stars in background:

My proposal how it could look:

Because stars in SM are in matrix so they are spread unnaturally. Regions where are many stars in many rows could be fill with blurred glow.

Let players see nearby galaxies
    It's like You can see Andromeda galaxy from Earth.

These ideas would change StarMade universe into more interesting form. Players will be able to see that sector that they're in is not one with random sky but it's in defined place in galaxy. And all this because of more "landmarks" and stuffs that are real not randomly generated.

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    (if You don't know what I'am talking about check this out: https://twitter.com/star_made/status/515681356127293440 )

I suggest to remove first one type of stars. It will be easier to navigate in space because You will see belt of stars shining from Your galaxy not any false ones.

Make intelligent clouds in procedural background
    I would also suggest to make clouds in procedural background match Your position in galaxy. So if You're at borders of galaxy then star belt should be mixsed with cloud but other parts of universe should be black.

I mean something like this:
    http://www.green-report.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/cerul-noaptea.jpg
    You can see milk way if there are no any city lights nearby and no clouds.

Let players see nearby galaxies
    It's like You can see Andromeda galaxy from Earth.

These ideas would change StarMade universe into more interesting form. Players will be able to see that sector that they're in is not one with random sky but it's in defined place in galaxy. And all this because of more "landmarks" and stuffs that are real not randomly generated.
    I think that's already planned, except the galaxy part. It doesn't seem to be that hard to do, maybe devs simply forgot about it?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hope fully all of these ideas will be used, a good looking game is a better game and galaxies would certainly make it look better!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yeah i really get annoyed how there are a lot of these random snow flakes in the procedural background which are not actually real stars.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

IIRC you can already do this by turning off the "draw additional stars" setting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The 'Draw Additional Stars' setting are the real stars that you can travel too. It's the ones that generate with the procedural images he wants gone.