Bring Back Weekly/Bi-Weekly Dev Blogs

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Anyone else miss the frequent dev blogs? I feel like Schine cut it short just because of a few whiners who didn't read and understand that new progress was being talked about.

I have heard reasons from Schine stating that there "wasn't enough" being added to justify doing the blogs so regularly, but I find that hard to believe. A team of ~6 can do a 2 hour stream every week but they can't even stretch that alone into a 3 or 4 paragraph dev blog with a picture or two?

I don't think regular dev blogs need to be sprawling epics. Just a couple paragraphs explaining what Schine has been doing for the past week or two, to keep the community in touch and interested and to keep those who cannot or do not want to watch the streams informed. Anyone else agree?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, I haven't been able to watch streams like I use to. They tend to occur during my work day and these days after WannaCry security lock downs are way too anal.

A simple paragraph would be enough for me.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Anyone else miss the frequent dev blogs? I feel like Schine cut it short just because of a few whiners who didn't read and understand that new progress was being talked about.

I have heard reasons from Schine stating that there "wasn't enough" being added to justify doing the blogs so regularly, but I find that hard to believe. A team of ~6 can do a 2 hour stream every week but they can't even stretch that alone into a 3 or 4 paragraph dev blog with a picture or two?

I don't think regular dev blogs need to be sprawling epics. Just a couple paragraphs explaining what Schine has been doing for the past week or two, to keep the community in touch and interested and to keep those who cannot or do not want to watch the streams informed. Anyone else agree?
    Agreed Lecic, Crusade cannot stop the justice of having the news the community deserves, we are the lungs of this, and schine are the noses, all i am feeling is them breathing out and not breathing in to give us the 'air' we need.

Reactions: Lecic
    G

GDPR 302420

100% agreed

2 hour long streams to give 5 minutes of information is not a substitute for proper communication with this community.

Schine, stop using twitch to replace dev blogs. I don't want to go through a 2, 3 or even 4 hour video just so I can find 5 minutes of actual information spread over that time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm all for more news, and I agree with bringing back more regular dev logs.

I had an issue with lecic posting his personal requirement for receiving game news or information. Don't take over a thread, especially a news thread with your special needs. Instead make a new thread, like you did. Well done.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'd at least like to hear stuff like; "We've made some progress on X and may release a dev build in 2 weeks. Otherwise, you'll hear more about that then." When there isn't much news. It also helps stir up conversation, a good opportunity to answer questions best Schine can about upcoming features and their current state.

Reaction score
    Call me a person of low standards, but I'll take even the recent update on status of power system over literally nothing for weeks.
    I feel like the community, however bad it is, is deserving at least a quick "Hi folks, we've been working on a %feature_name%, it's coming along smoothly despite few kinks, but we're working on it. 'Till next time!"
    We're people too. Besides, some of us are worried the entirety of Schine suddenly dropped dead and there's no one left to work on Starmade. An update once in a while helps ease our mind.
    2, 3 or even 4 hour video
    Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I knew it was bad but I didn't think it was that bad. That's politician-tier of talking without actually saying anything.
    If Starmade doesn't work out devs should definitely give the career in politics a try.

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    as someone who know first hand how things like game dev is, weekly and bi weekly may be a bit much. maybe aim for a fortnightly blog just explaining whats been worked on, what to expect etc.

Reaction score
    id be happy with them posting funny stories and things in the news hell maybe some server events

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think they should change a thing. People whined just as much when it was bi-weekly as they do now. The devs should just pick a system that frustrates them the least. Just as many folks will be pissed off whatever they decide.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I'm all for more news, and I agree with bringing back more regular dev logs.

I had an issue with lecic posting his personal requirement for receiving game news or information. Don't take over a thread, especially a news thread with your special needs. Instead make a new thread, like you did. Well done.
    hue

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yeah normal devblogs are a lot better than this retarded thing they got going right now where they stretch a half-an-hour writeup into a five-hours long stream.

Reactions: JumpSuit
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just do simple progress reports even.

During this week we dealt with XYZ amount of bugs, and started working on XYZ feature.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    as someone who know first hand how things like game dev is, weekly and bi weekly may be a bit much. maybe aim for a fortnightly blog just explaining whats been worked on, what to expect etc.
    I would agree with you if it was just Schema, but we have multiple people who's job description includes community management. Their job is to be doing these sorts of things. They can't find a few paragraphs to write about what 6 people did for an entire week? For an entire TWO WEEKS?

EDIT-
    Especially when you consider the fact that Criss and Saber supposedly already write a script for the streams ahead of time.

[doublepost=1505221759,1505221526][/doublepost]
    Pls tell.
    He's probably talking about how Schine forgot to mention that you can now stack jammers, and you need equal or more scanners to beat jammers. ie a ship with 5000 jammers cannot be unjammed by a ship either only 2000 scanners.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Asmodium and Groovrider Developers do not have to be a bunch of "Comunity managers" or "Dicks".

They are making this game.
    They must show the changes they make at the game´s mechanics on a fast and easy way to undertand.
    Not explaining some "pieces" of the puzzle that is this game, only manage to end up frustrating the players.

Both of you know what are the "new" scanner mechanics?[Of course hidding from players or writing jokes are not the correct way to explain that mechanics.]

Please tell me those mechanics.
    Yes I know about the new scanner mechanics. It was mentioned around the same time as the new C-V graphics and the LoD system (optimised polygon rendering) which are all tied into it. What's your point?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    He's probably talking about how Schine forgot to mention that you can now stack jammers, and you need equal or more scanners to beat jammers. ie a ship with 5000 jammers cannot be unjammed by a ship either only 2000 scanners.
    That should have been fixed already, I believe several months ago.
    If something related to it, is still broken or not balanced properly, please PM me about it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That should have been fixed already, I believe several months ago.
    If something related to it, is still broken or not balanced properly, please PM me about it.
    Nah, it should be fixed now, was last I checked.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Scanners work based on a ratio of scanner blocks to ship blocks now. I don't know if that has been mentioned.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I want to keep weekly dev blogs (at least bi weekly). News is now whenever there is news, was away when these changes were made. My time to work on StarMade has dramatically decreased in these last 5 months, I should get a bit more time next month. I know when we're working on big updates, often times, there's no news to be said that hasn't already been said. I think we could fill it with other information, perhaps ideas we're having, twitch stream info shared in the week, past troubles and development info on previous updates. Doesn't always have to be dev info.

Now that Bench is back, we'll have more people to contribute to these posts.
    We already do summaries in our weekly meetings, won't be that hard to format it into a public message.

We no longer run on a set release schedule (in the past, we released every 2 weeks); instead, we follow a set of rules and parameters to decide whether a dev build becomes a pre, and a pre build becomes a release. Because we now no longer run on a set schedule for release, we think it's important that instead, we have a set schedule for news. Even though we might not be releasing, it's still important to keep our community up to date on where we are.
    I strongly agree with the original intent stated in our release cycle and news post document. I'll look into starting dev blog updates today.