Bounty Hunting Ideas (Long Term)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Bounty Hunting Ideas (For Long Term Development)

Most of these ideas are already out there, I am simply organizing for the sake of ease-of-use and so that the bounty hunting side of things can be critiqued and improved.

Please refer to Websterandy42's "A Possible Bounty System."http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-possible-bounty-system.645/ for a theoretical system on how bounty hunting could work. Perhaps it could be connected to the future Quest system?
    Please also refer to http://starmadedock.net/threads/mis...lenges-goals-quests-scenarios-etc.1021/page-2 for some interesting food for thought on missions and quests.

Besides how it could work a couple things for bounty hunting have come to mind:

Ship Ideas:
    Tracking Block – a block that is possible to be discreetly placed onto another player’s (or even NPC’s?) ship allowing you to track it with a sensor on your ship. These would be able to be removed by anyone, and should be if the player does not want to be followed (or his/her whereabouts known).

Sensor Block – similar to http://starmadedock.net/threads/sensor-blocks.302/#post-15088 and http://starmadedock.net/threads/long-range-sensors-and-navigation-old-forum-repost.324/#post-15351 this block would allow you to scan for the locations and stats of nearby things and scan for Tracking Blocks that you have placed, even across the galaxy. These could also possibly be used to see what direction someone has jumped using FTL.

Radar Jammers – the same familiar blocks we use now could be used to counter Sensor Blocks, more are needed to block larger arrays of Sensor Blocks.

Station/Planet Ideas:
    Shops could be larger and have a cantina sort of idea that has many NPC’s and players so that it is possible to lose a bounty hunter in a crowd when fleeing from one. They would then need to be more rare, causing people to meet at the same locations. Shops could also be on planets, then again, hopefully by the time these ideas (or something similar) gets implemented there will be settlements and colonies on planets.

Astronaut Ideas:
    Customizable Weapons – Just read this thread: http://starmadedock.net/threads/han...r-decorative-items-repost-from-old-forum.830/

Grapple Hooks/Jetpacks – Grapple Hooks could be limited with the length that they reach, and Jetpacks could have a limit of how high/how far they could fly before landing.

Cuffs/Paralyzer Beam – This is the one that I truly want to hear discussion about: some kind of item that can be used when the bounty has a “no disintegrations” label attached, when somebody doesn’t just want DiCkWaD98 dead, but instead wants to kill them personally, or do whatever it is that people like doing to captives. Once cuffed a bounty hunter can then take them aboard their ship and return for their bounty.
    - This item should probably only work when the opponent's health (or maybe shields) is down thus not making it an instant win of any kind. Think Pokemon, it should be a fine line of getting the opponent damaged and not killing them before you can use the item.
    - This needs to not abuse the system too badly, there must be a way for the captive to “break free” or some way for them not to give up on playing Starmade ever again

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Nice job using the references. Helps keep all the ideas together to make one big idea. Props for that and the Cantina. I endorse this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Oh god tracking blocks. Let this happen some day.

Just not as an actual 1x1x1m block, maybe a sprite type of block entity so it doesn't stand out so much.

Reactions: Boba_Fett
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Oh god tracking blocks. Let this happen some day.

Just not as an actual 1x1x1m block, maybe a sprite type of block entity so it doesn't stand out so much.
    I was thinking that it could be fired at a ship... that would be cool...

I don't like the cuffs idea, takes someone out of the game too long, and would break from someone just leaving the game.

Reactions: Boba_Fett
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was thinking that it could be fired at a ship... that would be cool...

I don't like the cuffs idea, takes someone out of the game too long, and would break from someone just leaving the game.
    I would absolutely love to be able to fire a tracker, ships don't tend to stay still long enough when players are in them to manually place a tracker.

Also, the cuffs are definitely a point of failure, too game breaking indeed, any better suggestions? Perhaps no capture of players, but maybe small ships via the tractor beam (laser + pull effect), thus allowing the player to escape if they wanted to. The bounty hunter still brings in the ship for bounty and still gets paid for his job. Maybe no one wants captures even in the game?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I very much agree, a sprite would be much more stealthy, hard to find on a big ship, but then again a big ship has less to fear from being tracked.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I would absolutely love to be able to fire a tracker, ships don't tend to stay still long enough when players are in them to manually place a tracker.

Also, the cuffs are definitely a point of failure, too game breaking indeed, any better suggestions? Perhaps no capture of players, but maybe small ships via the tractor beam (laser + pull effect), thus allowing the player to escape if they wanted to. The bounty hunter still brings in the ship for bounty and still gets paid for his job. Maybe no one wants captures even in the game?
    No captures... to many points of failure(code wise).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Right now, all you need is a way to drag someone along with you into a fraction ship (in which doors can't be opened or closed and blocks can't be modified due to fractions) and place them in a holding cell. Another thing that we need is constants. Like if you exit the game, you are replaced by a sprite that is inactive until you log on to take control. So if you move the ship that the person is in, he moves with it.

And that's the easiest way to implement captures into starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Right now, all you need is a way to drag someone along with you into a fraction ship (in which doors can't be opened or closed and blocks can't be modified due to fractions) and place them in a holding cell. Another thing that we need is constants. Like if you exit the game, you are replaced by a sprite that is inactive until you log on to take control. So if you move the ship that the person is in, he moves with it.

And that's the easiest way to implement captures into starmade.
    Just to clarify, are we talking captures for NPC tragets or players also? I don't think players should be able to be captured just because being captured could be boring for another player in terms of vanilla star made. Players being smarter than an NPC should be considered too dangerous for capture, and are subject to termination and disintegration.

Upon death, it would be cool if players and NPCs drop proof of their death as a unique item for the quest [playername/npcname 's head] or something like that. Maybe a voucher or just something suggestive if that's too gruesome. NPC targets could be named via a random selection of names from a custom dictionary.

Reactions: Vyor and Boba_Fett
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Good thing that's settled then, no captures is easiest.
    Upon death, it would be cool if players and NPCs drop proof of their death as a unique item for the quest [playername/npcname 's head] or something like that. Maybe a voucher or just something suggestive if that's too gruesome. NPC targets could be named via a random selection of names from a custom dictionary.
    That sounds pretty handy, good to have as proof :)

Calbiri any thoughts on this thread? Good, bad, possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Just to clarify, are we talking captures for NPC tragets or players also? I don't think players should be able to be captured just because being captured could be boring for another player in terms of vanilla star made. Players being smarter than an NPC should be considered too dangerous for capture, and are subject to termination and disintegration.

Agreed!

Reaction score
    NPC targets could be named via a random selection of names from a custom dictionary.
    I think something like in Kerbal Space Program, it might choose a premade name, or it could choose from 2 syllables like "Re" and "ger" to make Reger, and you could also find the wanted criminal "Releed" but you can also find "Spark". You get the idea
    (that's a horrible name, schema don't put "Spark" in)

Reaction score
    Any system could be fine as long as there is a form of counter play. Personally I simply want to see people do more things in Starmade then building the optimal death cube.

Keep up the good work and keep your creative juices flowing.