A Possible Bounty System.

Reaction score
    So, heading back from mining, you were just ruthlessly murdered by "DiCkWaD98" for the fifth time today. You have a good bit of cash and a enemy right? This is what free markets are all about.

Basically there are two ways you could go with the implementation of the bounty system.
    1. (RP) Register your bounty and any info you have with the nearest shop, bounty hunters can read off the target's info, name, and amount offered at that specific shop and take their choices.
    2. (Functional) Register in the same way but have the bounty lists server-wide in every shop.
    If the target belongs to a faction when the bounty is set they immediately get notified of the bounty. They have a choice to
    • Harbor- Attempting to kill the target will cause the whole faction to become hostile.
    • Settle- The faction pays off all bounty hunters and removes the bounty from the list.
    • Allow- The faction allows people who have accepted the offer to attack the target freely.
    When the target is killed the money is immediately transferred to the bounty hunter.
    Even if this draws a negative on the bounty poster's credits the money is still paid to the bounty hunter by the trade guild.
    The bounty poster will now have a dept with the trade guild.
    This dept will automatically turn into a flat tax on both sold and bought shop items until the dept is gone.
    Optionally the person can just pay in full later, when he has the money to do so.
    If dept reaches a certain amount it will turn into a bounty posted by the trade guild targeting the original poster, now debtor. Probably offers hunters like 1/4 of what the debtor owes.

Optional: Faction Bounties

Register a bounty anonymously that basically says, I will be giving X amount of credits for each faction member dead.
    This can be financed by single players or other factions as terrorism.
    The faction targeted only has the option to reveal who is financing the bounty for a hefty price

Extra Optional: A strait up loan and banking system through the trade guild.

Thanks to Zedrackis
    for pointing out a "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" style exploit. I'm thinking of a way to prevent it now, if anyone has suggestions please speak up. This could be less work for schema later.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This would be really nice to have. It would be a good way to make some credits if you need some. I like the idea of having a server wide bounty list.

Reactions: Websterandy42
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like it. The only problem is that theres a lot of bugs still in the game right now. I'd like to see those taken care of first before anything of this scale is implemented into the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Awesome long-term implementation idea. One of the things this game really needs to become epic is a better economy system. With some tweaking this could work in singleplayer also.

Reaction score
    I like it. The only problem is that theres a lot of bugs still in the game right now. I'd like to see those taken care of first before anything of this scale is implemented into the game.

I totally agree, with how unstable (non existent) server economies are, it would be worse than useless if he added it any time soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I was going to suggest an alternative but then this occurred to me. They tried this same system in EVE Online for many years, its was horribly abused. Think of it this way: You place a high bounty on me. I want the money. I jump in a core block and have my friend or alt character kill me in the core. He collects the money and goes halves on the reward with me. I then deposit the money somewhere I wont loose it when I die, like a shop module. You post more bounties, because I continue to make you mad, because now its not only fun but profitable to make you mad. You actually encouraged me to got out of my way just to give you grief so you post more bounties!

Reaction score
    I was going to suggest an alternative but then this occurred to me. They tried this same system in EVE Online for many years, its was horribly abused. Think of it this way: You place a high bounty on me. I want the money. I jump in a core block and have my friend or alt character kill me in the core. He collects the money and goes halves on the reward with me. I then deposit the money somewhere I wont loose it when I die, like a shop module. You post more bounties, because I continue to make you mad, because now its not only fun but profitable to make you mad. You actually encouraged me to got out of my way just to give you grief so you post more bounties!

That is rough, i need to think over how to stop that exploit. I was mainly worried about people putting huge bounties that they couldn't afford. Thanks for the help.

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can either do bounty on forums. Slower But it works.

This bounty feature would be better as a plugin then a feature in The game itself.

Good idea tough

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Maybe to fulfill the contract, targeted person needs to loose some amount of credits of the contract value?

I.e. with 50%, we place a contract of 100k credits, so upon dying server would calculate value of loss of the targeted player (lost credits when killed + value of destroyed ship). If this remains below 50k credits, the contract is not fulfilled.
    To not complicate the system, the revenue is given completely to the last player which inflicted damage overcoming the threshold of 50k credits, so people would keep hunting specific person, because they'll still have a chance to get a revenue.

Percentage value of the contract needed to fulfill it, could be changed in server configuration file. So it could also be 100 or 200%.

Value of the lost ship would be added to already lost credits by specific player once it overheats.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like it, but:

Peoples should be able to increase existing bounties (so that you can share the cost of setting up bounties).

Credits could be virtual currency in a trade-guild database. Then players would not be able to lose credits on death, only their ship and cargo.
    Peoples should give the trade guild a safety (like a ship or) that belong to the trading guild as long as credits are not paid.

Newbie-killers (or any kills around spawn) should create an automatic bounty on the killer's head similar to the cost of destroyed blocks, credits lost by players, ...