Read by Council Boarding Controls

Reaction score
    A menu should not stop the player from doing something quickly in the heat of combat, provided that action is useful to said combat.
    When you need to get off a speeding ship at 150ms, you need to get off or miss the drop. The controls need to be reliable. You should be able to speed in at whatever speed the server allows and still hit the target, aim provided.

At the same time the warning is useful for piloting ships and the player shouldn't be put in a position where they need to choose between escape and the ship flying off accidentally. It also is important that the player doesn't forget what setting is active and loses out on a ship or drop.

A comparison of another game with the same issue and its resolution .
    In Team fortress 2 alot of the engineers who run mini sentries use a script to stop the build menu from slowing down the weapon switch, Faster more reliable deployment makes the mini sentry effective. Look up any mini sentry guide they will tell you to script. The script is simply bind x destroy 2 0; build 2 0;

Possible resolution option for starmade
    A 2 actions on a new single key/combo.
    First press ejects your from core
    second press detaches you from ship.

--Rewritten for Comprehension and because this is 2016.
    -2016/04/16/5:30pm
    ps. I was boarding as soon as they released the torch, and have only recently returned to the game.
    I use a 3 tile boarding surfboard core.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Get properly prepared. Make a VERY BASIC boarding vessel with a fast-access hatch from the core. Set yourself up on a straight-line intercept, then get out when you are a kilometer away or so. Make your way out away from the drop vessel, and realign as you shoot past the vessel you mean to board.

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    Just sit on the ship and then bail.
    Use T, it'll first align you if you try to sit on something that you can't sit on. Then, get close, un-sit, then grapple the other vessel from VERY close. You're exposed to turret fire, but if you maybe rig a small shield in front of you on the boarding pod you ought to be fine. Just get close enough to align with the other ship.
    And use T to align to the hostile ship, Spacebar is kinda glitchy occasionally, may not actually align you but will still detach you from the pod. However, T will align you first time, every time, even moving 40 m/s to cope with, say, a pirate Isanth's normal maneuvering speed. (Madman198237 and I play on an LAN server. I bought a torch. And I wanted an Isanth.)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    One thing I don't get is why we even have the "Are you sure you want to do that?" panel when getting out of a core. It was needed before but not anymore now that it auto-aligns us to the ship when we get out.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    One thing I don't get is why we even have the "Are you sure you want to do that?" panel when getting out of a core. It was needed before but not anymore now that it auto-aligns us to the ship when we get out.
    When did it start auto aligning? I just lost a ship today by it going off without me.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    did you guys forget about grappling hooks?
    Eh, I thought about mentioning them. But the OP was more annoyed with the confirmation window for when you leave the ship, so I decided not to. But yea, you probably could make up for any time lost from that popup with the grapple beam! :)

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    Grapple hooks have a long cooldown, Which for advanced boarding tactics can be undesirable. It is also much more reliable to hook while stationary. Thus I suggest this rather than suggest the player use a work around.

Reaction score
    Grapple hooks have a long cooldown, Which for advanced boarding tactics can be undesirable. It is also much more reliable to hook while stationary. Thus I suggest this rather than suggest the player use a work around.
    You. Are. Saying. That a gameplay mechanic for that single problem. Is a work around. Nvm.

If you are bad at aiming, just
    have multiple grappling hooks.
    Fill your hotbar or whatever.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    I tried boarding a couple days back with a war head charge to breach the hull it bypassed the shields quickly they just need a blowtorch like weapon to bore through armor and doors

Reaction score
    You. Are. Saying. That a gameplay mechanic for that single problem. Is a work around. Nvm.

If you are bad at aiming, just

Fill your hotbar or whatever.
    grappling hooks are not made for the problem of the damn menu. For reference this post is about the control problem not the issue of landing in space!!!

Reaction score
    grappling hooks are not made for the problem of the damn menu. For reference this post is about the control problem not the issue of landing in space!!!
    Ok, yea, the problem is the popup screen. For some reason I'm not getting it sometimes. I must have messed with the configs to set the limit. If you set the speed that the popup will show, you can prevent the popup from happeneing. I set mine around a hundred I think.

Reaction score
    Ok, yea, the problem is the popup screen. For some reason I'm not getting it sometimes. I must have messed with the configs to set the limit. If you set the speed that the popup will show, you can prevent the popup from happeneing. I set mine around a hundred I think.
    when you are moving at a server speed of 300 ms, you don't want to miss a drop or lose your ship that is why we need a new button. A button to ensure that when you need to get out right at that second you can. While not needing to set the setting to disabled, to prevent you from forgetting and flying away from a normal ship your piloting.

Reaction score
    when you are moving at a server speed of 300 ms, you don't want to miss a drop or lose your ship that is why we need a new button. A button to ensure that when you need to get out right at that second you can. While not needing to set the setting to disabled, to prevent you from forgetting and flying away from a normal ship your piloting.
    Yea... Like an alternate key comand "drop" where you unlink and exit instead of R just making you exit.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Grappling hooks don't save you if you're trying to board at 300m/s against a target that's trying not to get boarded.

Doing something about the confirmation popups, however, will make it far less infuriating.

+1

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yea... Like an alternate key comand "drop" where you unlink and exit instead of R just making you exit.
    This would be pretty nice, maybe it could also throw the player away from the ship core with a slight momentum? I'm not sure it would be nice to have another keybind without more than one or two used though. Maybe use and existing keybind work differently while inside the ship, such as the sit key?

Reaction score
    This would be pretty nice, maybe it could also throw the player away from the ship core with a slight momentum? I'm not sure it would be nice to have another keybind without more than one or two used though. Maybe use and existing keybind work differently while inside the ship, such as the sit key?
    What is the sit key? I thought it was left clicking on a edge of a block. It never worked but I thought it must be bugged or I wasn't hitting the right area.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    What is the sit key? I thought it was left clicking on a edge of a block. It never worked but I thought it must be bugged or I wasn't hitting the right area.
    Either O or T.