[Blueprint Viewer] - StarOS BPViewer

Reaction score
    Cool. This has a lot of potential too. You could even make it possible to edit ships, and then give you the edited .sment

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Actually there's no way to decode /encode as .sment but when file description will come i'll work on

Reaction score
    How are you loading up the ship files?

I haven't kept up with all the format changes but is there an easy way to read them now?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It is possible to add it in to a forum structure, although I imagine something like this would be a huge resource sucker.

Regardless, great work, looks marvelous.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It is possible to add it in to a forum structure, although I imagine something like this would be a huge resource sucker.

Regardless, great work, looks marvelous.
    The actual way to embed this is by using an iframe because it use many javascripts to generate the model (you can create à bbcode for that). I'll work on way to get an modele view based on url. Anyway with the base of this code you can view ship, but it work with all other smd2 model (planet, floating rock, stations,...).

FPS for chrome:
    • 60 FPS for 875 blocks
    • 30 FPS for 2175 blocks
    • 15-20 FPS for 4080 blocks
    FPS for Firefox:
    • 45-55 FPS for 875 blocks
    • 20-25 FPS for 2175 blocks
    • 10 FPS for 4080 blocks

Strangely it seems to be more fluid than FPS's pretend.
    ATM I've no way to optimise the viewer, I've tried to merge the blocks but textures does not work correctly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want a way to optimize the viewer, have you considered unloading all blocks that aren't exposed?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you want a way to optimize the viewer, have you considered unloading all blocks that aren't exposed?
    Yes, I've tried that method but it's take too many time to calculate what blocs are visible or not. I'll try to find a way to perform all calculations from a node.js server, if I can use three.js in node I'll be able to use more thread and server ressource rather than user ressource

Reaction score
    shouldn't this be in third party software?
    Yes but there's no WIP for apps
    In the future, I think WIP third-part software should be in the third-party software forum, once actual "mods" start taking off and the section gets busy. The WIP forum is technically "WIP mods". But for now, don't see any need to move it. It might actually be useful right now to co-opt the WIP forum for unfinished third-party software. There isn't anything else in WIP and it keeps the third-party software forum cleaner. However, people who are looking for third party software will probably not notice this if it's in the WIP section.

If you'd like it moved, blackcancer, let me know. :) Otherwise, it will be left here for now and only moved if the WIP forum starts becoming more active.

Reaction score
    I would love to see this allow us to view layers of the ships, IE having an option to remove all the hull, shields. so on even if it is only visually.

I would love to be able to dissect a ship without having to do so in game.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Couldn't you kind of get your program to make a gif of the ship then show it as your previw again with your program ? Would it work ? Would it be lighter ? Because if you get your program to render "directly" the ship, no wonder it take a long time to do.

PS : Si tu préfère que je te pose la question en Français, pas de soucis...

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I can't render as gif because I use javascript for great part of the app and it's a client side language, to have a gif of ship client need to render the ship before but with other languages () it could be a solution. I've never worked with image in php, especially render of 3D and gif.
    With server side functions and many search on javascript optimisation, I think I've a solution but of course this will not fix all optimisation problemes for big ship.

ps: i can't make all calculation on server, three.js (3d core) require dom element (only availiable on client).

Je ne peux pas faire le rendu au format gif parce que le programme est conçu essentiellement en javascript et c'est un langage qui s’exécute coté client, pour avoir un rendu gif je devrais donc faire un gif du vaisseau le client devrait donc faire un rendu avant. Avec d'autres langages (php, python,java, c/c++...) c'est possible, cependant je n'ai pas vraiment travaillé le rendu d'image sur php et encore moins en 3D et en gif.
    Avec les fonctions coté serveur et les recherches sur l'optimisation de javascript, je pense que j'ai une solution mais elle ne règlera pas le problème des gros vaisseaux.

ps: Je ne peux pas faire tout les calcules sur le server, three.js (le noyeau 3D) requière les éléments de dom (seulement disponible coté client) .

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I've make a concept art for the viewer

It's basic job without any scroll bar, I'll work on it later and i'll try to integrate scroll for weapons calculation.
    How it will work:
    • Left part is the select ship list based on Blueprint json directory (from SMDecoder), juste click on the name and it's render the ship
    • Information button (top) display / hide the information box (mass, lenght,...)
    • Weapons button (top) display / hide weapons window
    • Question mark button (top left) display embedded code and download link
    • "P" key for a screenshot of renderer (without all GUI)
    • Weapons window will work like in-game weapons window
    Of course like StarOS Map user may change GUI's theme.

If you have some suggestion...

Last edited: