Bug Blocks only half shown

Reaction score
    Hi, there.
    So to get to it, been waiting a while to allow this game to 'mature' a bit (have several pre-alpha games that keep me entertained as well), but when I updated the game today, and ran it, only half of the faces on the blocks were properly rendered.

Assuming standard rendering of cubes (as far as I know) every face is drawn using 2 triangles. Thing is, from any perspective 1 triangle of a given face is always culled and 1 is not, leaving the world quite literally half drawn.

I've updated my drivers (MSI GeForce GTX 650, OpenGL 4.2) and JAVA but nothing seems to solve this problem...

No errors or something like that, just bad rendering. I don't have this problem with other JAVA based OpenGL games and being somewhat of a hobbyist programmer myself I've been playing around communicating with the GPU as well without such problems (although it did ask for some cookies...).

EDIT: Just saw the same issue described in the update page (http://star-made.org/news/starmade-0-15997-new-textures-debris-display-block-update-and-more). Good to know I'm not the only one. I'll just wait for the next update then ;-)

Reaction score
    Solved it, thanks. But why not autodetect the need for this? I was under the impression that VBO's are the fastest way of drawing stuff, and since they have been available since OpenGL 1.5 compatibility should not be a problem, not to mention that its availability can actually be tested...

Reaction score
    Since this is a relatively new issue that occurred first with the recent engine changes, I guess schema simply forgot about this or didn't have the time yet.
    Also, we mostly don't change the advanced settings when testing, except when explicitly told so (that stuff can be considered experimental).

Reaction score
    Well, food for thought I suppose, thanks for your help and quick response. Seems the engine has become a lot quicker and more stable since last I played. Looking forward to future updates.