Block rarity and modules quality

Reaction score
    Currently there is not enough variation in resources rarity and no variation in resulting ship component quality.
    This leads to "quantity over quality" tactics being only viable one.
    The game is "flat" in some sense.
    Everyone can build same reactor blocks, same weapons modules etc and resources are pretty equally distributed.

Player should be able to build reactor core with 10x as much output with special super-rare ore that is not event present in every galaxy.
    Or 30% better beams that use rare crystal as component.

The game is missing a lot because concepts of quality, rarity are practically non-existent in it.

I think you guys know that and you will change resource distribution in comming update.
    But you should think also about modeling the relation ore_rarity ~ block_quality in order to make this update meaningful.

For starters I suggest making reactor blocks that have different output depending on ore type.
    This alone will be impactful.
    You can just introduce one additional block made from different ore that is 8 rarer but gives 2 times better power output.
    In general relation between rarity and quality should be exponential i.e 10% better module requires 2 times rarer ore.

Ckeeze

innovator
    Reaction score
    Currently there is not enough variation in resources rarity and no variation in resulting ship component quality.
    This leads to "quantity over quality" tactics being only viable one.
    The game is "flat" in some sense.
    Everyone can build same reactor blocks, same weapons modules etc and resources are pretty equally distributed.

Player should be able to build reactor core with 10x as much output with special super-rare ore that is not event present in every galaxy.
    Or 30% better beams that use rare crystal as component.

The game is missing a lot because concepts of quality, rarity are practically non-existent in it.

I think you guys know that and you will change resource distribution in comming update.
    But you should think also about modeling the relation ore_rarity ~ block_quality in order to make this update meaningful.

For starters I suggest making reactor blocks that have different output depending on ore type.
    This alone will be impactful.
    You can just introduce one additional block made from different ore that is 8 rarer but gives 2 times better power output.
    In general relation between rarity and quality should be exponential i.e 10% better module requires 2 times rarer ore.
    The upcoming Galaxy update will fix most of the issues, Resources will be localized wich means you may have a crap ton of materials to create reactors but you'll lack metals needed for weapons, this in turn makes trading more important and you'll need to compromise when you are desinging your ship.
    But block quality is a terrible idea, the game would be more luck based and ships won't be stronger becouse someone used more resources but becouse someone was lucky and found the rare ore, this in turn completely unbalances the game where a cleverly designed gigantic battleship wich uses normal grade weapons would be stomped by a tiny destroyer not becouse the destroyer was well designed but becouse someone put the rare metals in it...

also if the rare metal is not rare enough then the basic one would be worthless, if it's rare enough then the luck would deside who has the beafy ship not work and clever design.
    Ships half the size of another can already kill if it's better designed and has a better balance of systems, this in turns makes that a quality ship. Quality already exists in the game and it entirely depends on building skill and knowledge wich is great! Fine-tuning your ships and finding balance of systems is ALREADY hard, don't make it harder.

Reaction score
    I very much agree w/ ckeeze as far as what should be vanilla. That said, chambers are supposed to be customizable such that server admins can create custom chambers for premium tech trees, though I believe this feature is not fully functional yet. This means that server admins will be able to do something like this or introduce them as part of a reward system.

Reactions: Dire Venom