Bug Block Orientation Preview Not Showing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Screenshot 2017-08-25 23.17.14.png My Advanced Build Options doesn't show me the orientation of the blocks. It makes building nearly impossible. Any help for this would be amazing. I started a bug report yesterday...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's weird. Mine didn't show up until this version. I'm running (unfortunately) an Intel HD graphics 3000. What's your GPU?

EDIT: Also, I'm on Mavericks, and it looks like you're on Yosemite or newer.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB, running Sierra. The issue presented itself in Yosemite, and continues. Have you figured out any work around?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB, running Sierra. The issue presented itself in Yosemite, and continues. Have you figured out any work around?
    Yeah, enable "preview block to build" and use that instead. It only impacts frame rate if the previewed block fills a large part of your screen. Of course you've got an Iris chip so it probably won't hurt you anyway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    How do I enable Preview Block to Build??
    [doublepost=1503940807,1503938352][/doublepost]I found it in settings, and it was already enabled. I unclicked that box, applied the setting and restarted, just in case that was the problem. It didn't do anything. I've since reenabled and restarted, no change.

Something else strange has started to happen. The regular cube block has now disappeared from the selection, the only way I can access it is from the radial menu. All sorts of strangeness...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How do I enable Preview Block to Build??
    [doublepost=1503940807,1503938352][/doublepost]I found it in settings, and it was already enabled. I unclicked that box, applied the setting and restarted, just in case that was the problem. It didn't do anything. I've since reenabled and restarted, no change.

Something else strange has started to happen. The regular cube block has now disappeared from the selection, the only way I can access it is from the radial menu. All sorts of strangeness...
    Right click the cube in the radial menu.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    View attachment 44188 My Advanced Build Options doesn't show me the orientation of the blocks..

Okay, you're on a mac (according to your screenshots). That could be the issue. Is there ANY chance you're using an intel inbuilt GPU (such as a 4000 / 5500)?

[Edit: I see from your post above, you most likely are]

See this review from the steam page for info: Steam Community :: Indomitable Komodo :: Review for StarMade

Seems driver updates for intel are linked to OS updates. Could be similar if you have a different card?

I've no idea if / how starmade may run in wine (or is it wineskin on mac?) but that could be an interim option - or dual booting another OS. Sorry I'm not more help, but the root of your issue appears to be found at least.

Additionally, I use intel and do not have the issue on windows - havent updated drivers in a few months at least either.

Last edited:
    Reactions: galoska

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Okay, you're on a mac (according to your screenshots). That could be the issue. Is there ANY chance you're using an intel inbuilt GPU (such as a 4000 / 5500)?

[Edit: I see from your post above, you most likely are]

See this review from the steam page for info: Steam Community :: Indomitable Komodo :: Review for StarMade

Seems driver updates for intel are linked to OS updates. Could be similar if you have a different card?

I've no idea if / how starmade may run in wine (or is it wineskin on mac?) but that could be an interim option - or dual booting another OS. Sorry I'm not more help, but the root of your issue appears to be found at least.

Additionally, I use intel and do not have the issue on windows - havent updated drivers in a few months at least either.
    To get a new driver he'd most likely have to get a new version of OSX. Running on Wine may be worse, and is unlikely to be any better. Running on linux could be an option, but I haven't tested linux yet to see how Ubuntu's intel drivers compare to the ones in OSX. The whole problem stems from the graphics driver.

I found it in settings, and it was already enabled. I unclicked that box, applied the setting and restarted, just in case that was the problem. It didn't do anything. I've since reenabled and restarted, no change.
    I meant to use the 3d preview in your cursor instead of the advanced build mode window to choose block rotation (hint: use your mouse wheel!).

Reactions: galoska
    Reaction score
    I'm experiencing the same thing. I can't see the preview block at all. When I first started playing the game it was there but the lighting was so bad it was almost useless. Then after an update or two it got totally black.

I'm on a Macbook pro Retna with a Geforce GT 650 running Mavericks with the latest Java. If I'm following correctly that is a Mac problem across several OS versions.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Mine recently went out again. Rats. It was working fine after I updated to .654 but now it won't work even if I force-download and overwrite all files.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, I tried updating to the newest OSX (Sierra at the time of writing) and unfortunately it didn't solve any of the issues. In changing it out of full-screen I'm able to use the CMD+Tab shortcut to jump between apps at least.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    open up options -> Grahpics and toggle Simple Lighting Quality to see if that changes something here.
    there is a bug that messes the preview up when simple lighting is deselected.