Block Crafting

I think we should have all the blocks when crafting and be able to craft them back together.

• Yes finally, please make it happen.

Votes: 7 70.0%
    • I want to keep all the parts, but crafting them back together isn't reasonable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • No way, the other half is pulverized waste product.

Votes: 1 10.0%
    • Don't care.

Votes: 2 20.0%
    • Putting together is a great idea, but keeping all parts is not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    When crafting hull wedges, why don't we get two wedged per whole block? Or one hepta and on tetra for a whole block? It stand to reason that if one splits a block one would have the other portion left.

Also why can't we take the two blocks and craft one whole block.

Reactions: Sunkin351 and Lecic
    Reaction score
    When crafting hull wedges, why don't we get two wedged per whole block? Or one hepta and on tetra for a whole block? It stand to reason that if one splits a block one would have the other portion left.

Also why can't we take the two blocks and craft one whole block.
    This is a very logical suggestion.

However logic sometimes gets misplaced in game development ;)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Easy. The armor and HP values are the same for all the sizes of blocks. Essentially if you were to get 2 wedges every time you "split" a block would essentially be getting twice the armor and HP for the same base cost.

Honestly I think we should be able to convert regular blocks into whatever shape we need as we need it so all you have to do is craft the basic blocks and build to your hearts content.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In addition to the HP equivalencies, the masses are still the same also. This would be a problem until masses are corrected. Otherwise, you'll have people complaining about mass from nothing (Hello, Higgs-Boson!) when splitting blocks, and complaining again when they lose mass when combining blocks (Goodbye, Higgs-Boson. Come again soon.) However, the armor values are the real antithesis to this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    In addition to the HP equivalencies, the masses are still the same also. This would be a problem until masses are corrected. Otherwise, you'll have people complaining about mass from nothing (Hello, Higgs-Boson!) when splitting blocks, and complaining again when they lose mass when combining blocks (Goodbye, Higgs-Boson. Come again soon.) However, the armor values are the real antithesis to this suggestion.
    Of course if you split the blocks, halve/whatever the mass, and don't adjust the HP values than you can easily create lighter ships that have the same amount of armor by strategically using wedges and the even lighter corners over flat planes which is a bad thing. I would much prefer the angled bit's of my ships to be just as strong as the flat parts as having the smaller lighter blocks being weaker would only encourage cube shapes and punish creative builders. This is not ideal so ultimately I think the best solution is to have all blocks created equal even if it doesn't make sense in terms of reality.

Reaction score
    If it helps try thinking of it, not as cutting the blocks up, but as compressing them into shape. That's why their Hp and mass stay the same.

Reactions: CyberTao

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I still think it should be 1:1 for cutting (or, compressing, as it seems to be) the blocks, but you should be able to put the blocks back to their original state, or, like sven suggested, allow you to place whatever shape you want from a standard hull block.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I still think it should be 1:1 for cutting (or, compressing, as it seems to be) the blocks, but you should be able to put the blocks back to their original state, or, like sven suggested, allow you to place whatever shape you want from a standard hull block.
    We already can make whatever we want from a whole block. That is not the issue...
    i would like to get the other half of the block when a wedge is created. and have the option to put two wedges in and craft a whole block.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We already can make whatever we want from a whole block. That is not the issue...
    i would like to get the other half of the block when a wedge is created. and have the option to put two wedges in and craft a whole block.
    But the health and armor rating are the same. You either penalize people with slanted armor, or you usher in a new era of doomcubes with wedges for hull.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Honestly I think we should be able to convert regular blocks into whatever shape we need as we need it so all you have to do is craft the basic blocks and build to your hearts content.
    I agree, I'd much rather that all you needed to do was craft the basic blocks and that essentially gives you all of the shape possibilities - essentially crafting say one grey standard armor would give you one in each of the five possibilities in the grey standard armor multi-slot, but using any one of those would also decrease every option in the multi-slot by one. Basically it would mean merging the multi-slots into single entities.

Reactions: Voldrath
    Reaction score
    I agree, I'd much rather that all you needed to do was craft the basic blocks and that essentially gives you all of the shape possibilities - essentially crafting say one grey standard armor would give you one in each of the five possibilities in the grey standard armor multi-slot, but using any one of those would also decrease every option in the multi-slot by one. Basically it would mean merging the multi-slots into single entities.
    I've ben meaning to write up a suggestion to that effect. But I haven't had time to work out all the details. My best take so far would be a multi-slot master tag in the block config. Such that the multi-slot always shows all options. and any blocks you acquire become the master block's type.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    But the health and armor rating are the same. You either penalize people with slanted armor, or you usher in a new era of doomcubes with wedges for hull.
    Keep the armor rating, just give me the other wedge. the point of this thread is obtaining the other wedge/penta that is lost when crafting. the armor deal is a whole other point.

Personally i think it should be half the hp, since there is half a block, but i like the half the mass thing.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Keep the armor rating, just give me the other wedge. the point of this thread is obtaining the other wedge/penta that is lost when crafting. the armor deal is a whole other point.

Personally i think it should be half the hp, since there is half a block, but i like the half the mass thing.
    I STRONGLY do not support halving the HP just so you can get two wedges every time you split a hull block. This will directly punish any ship that isn't a cube or all 90 degree angles.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I STRONGLY do not support halving the HP just so you can get two wedges every time you split a hull block. This will directly punish any ship that isn't a cube or all 90 degree angles.
    Then just have hull under the wedges. at the very least, half the mass.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Then just have hull under the wedges. at the very least, half the mass.
    Oh sure, just let me strip out those thrusters, shields, and power... This is still a direct nerf to ships that are not square.

If your point is to save resources by getting two wedges from every hull block than this argument fails there as well. You will have to use more blocks or suffer weaker hull.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you using, just wedges right now on your ships? most ships that i have reviewed that i have downloaded have in some cases two full blocks of hull under the wedge. they want the protection. I don't see how getting two wedges out of one block will hurt anything. but really i don't care, full hp or half, just give me the other wedge.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you using, just wedges right now on your ships? most ships that i have reviewed that i have downloaded have in some cases two full blocks of hull under the wedge. they want the protection. I don't see how getting two wedges out of one block will hurt anything. but really i don't care, full hp or half, just give me the other wedge.
    Once they also only have 1/2 mass.

»I« want "most hp per mass" (for least credits/resources).

Reaction score
    I find it EXTREMELY amusing that you would worry about doomcubes... A ship builder has gotta do what a ship builder has gotta do to survive in a pvp environment.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I find it EXTREMELY amusing that you would worry about doomcubes... A ship builder has gotta do what a ship builder has gotta do to survive in a pvp environment.

Looks like we've got a doomcube builder here, ladies and gentlemen.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    "An opinion is an opinion, not fact" - Your signature