Block-based personal weapon models

Is this a good idea?

• Yes, I agree

Votes: 10 100.0%
    • No, weapons should be modeled by an outside source

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    So with the new and upcoming weapons to starmade I would like to make a suggestion on the models: To make them block-based. I personally think that in a voxel game, everything should be blocky, and so things like the current pistol does not really fit well inside the "space voxel" genre.

So, I'm thinking that the devs create a "contest" to make an "official" model for the planned weapons; In my opinion this will:

>save Omni's time
    >look much better

What happens is people build a "weapon" ship, then the devs select one (or build one themselves), make it into a 3d model and use it for the in-game model. Something like this:
    Even better is, if this process is automated, players can customize the weapons however they please, if they so please.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This has been suggested before. I'm not sure who, but either Calbiri or Kupu replied to the thread it was suggested in. He wanted to know what people liked best: your craftable weapons or default weapons. Most people really like the idea of weapons and armor that you could design yourself, including me.

So +1 to you! :)

Edit: I'm thinking that there could be a computer that will load a virtual space when you enter it. Once entered, you could build your weapon in that space.

Reactions: WaffulMann
    Reaction score
    This has been suggested before. I'm not sure who, but either Calbiri or Kupu replied to the thread it was suggested in. He wanted to know what people liked best: your craftable weapons or default weapons. Most people really like the idea of weapons and armor that you could design yourself, including me.

So +1 to you! :)

Edit: I'm thinking that there could be a computer that will load a virtual space when you enter it. Once entered, you could build your weapon in that space.
    Someone already did a thread? Awww, and I was going to make a more advanced one for armor, too. Oh well, at least it's good to know at least someone had the same idea as me.
    Something's bugging me though, if the devs know that the players want craftable weapons why are they still adding different weapon types instead of just letting players build?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I guess it is a lot easier to add on to something existing, rather than creating an entirely new system for craftable weapons. Literally all they had to do was copy an existing item, the laser, and change its values.
    Hopefully we'll see this once the creature system is up and running. I'm still not sure if they will add this, but if they are you could see these two weapons as a placeholder for future functions.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Something's bugging me though, if the devs know that the players want craftable weapons why are they still adding different weapon types instead of just letting players build?
    Because they are mostly fulfilling specific functions currently.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Well that's a quarter of my life questions answered. Thank you kupu.
    Arty? What's that?
    Lol, but you knew this already? marker beam, energy gun, etc etc. They are needed for the current game state.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The marker gun is probably going to stay as a predefined model. However, all weapons (including the heal beam) should be offloaded to ship-type.

I made a massive suggestion about this(find it here), and my idea was to edit your weapon, you open up the inventory and right-click on it. I also suggested that the cosmetic blocks and weapon blocks be seperate (That is, you don't have to have any weapon blocks visible in order to shoot) However, you can only have as many weapon blocks as cosmetic blocks (to prevent people building a handgun of death.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So with the new and upcoming weapons to starmade I would like to make a suggestion on the models: To make them block-based. I personally think that in a voxel game, everything should be blocky, and so things like the current pistol does not really fit well inside the "space voxel" genre.

So, I'm thinking that the devs create a "contest" to make an "official" model for the planned weapons; In my opinion this will:

>save Omni's time
    >look much better

What happens is people build a "weapon" ship, then the devs select one (or build one themselves), make it into a 3d model and use it for the in-game model. Something like this:
    Even better is, if this process is automated, players can customize the weapons however they please, if they so please.

Thoughts?
    that gun does look pretty sick![DOUBLEPOST=1411230063,1411229958][/DOUBLEPOST]also the symbols now look a bit bleagh, I think we need different shapes and sizes and not the same pistol but with different colours, i also think we need to make the difference between pistols and assault rifles, I do think we need assault rifles.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think that player walk speed should vary depending on how heavy the gun is, with non-functional blocks (hull, lights) having no weight, so people can customize their weapons without worrying about being less efficient in combat.

Turn speed should vary depending on the length of the gun- a long sniper rifle should turn slower than a small self defense pistol.

Reactions: Megacrafter127
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Turn speed should vary depending on the length of the gun- a long sniper rifle should turn slower than a small self defense pistol.
    But don't make the curve fall too fast. OR allow playes to look around, but only the direction of fire of the handheld is delayed.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    also the symbols now look a bit bleagh, I think we need different shapes and sizes and not the same pistol but with different colours,
    Until new 3D art is made to generate new icons, we're using these pistol icons as placeholders. You can expect different icons for different weapons eventually.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Until new 3D art is made to generate new icons, we're using these pistol icons as placeholders. You can expect different icons for different weapons eventually.
    You sir a ray of sunshine, you just brightened up my day! :)