Astrounauts: Movement, stats, and some combat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Before we begin this wall of text: I am aware that these are things which are planned to be implemented in some form in the future. The devs have a list of features that they want to add. However, if this thread manages to improve that list, that will be good.

Movement:
    Two modes for space: constrained (what we have now) and free (more like a ship core. Should replace ship cores just flying around) Use f1 to toggle between them. Shift increases speed and ctrl decreases speed. This is the common controls for most games, and it's the same way in build mode, so... I think Schema was only trying to prove he was mortal with that mistake. In addition, given the fact that the crew hotcommands are accessed by ctrl, it makes sense that when I pull out my phone to tell a minion to do something, I slow down a bit.

Astronaut stats:
    Cells. You have your own loadout screen (accessible from 't' while not in a ship) with 6(?) slots. You put cells in there. Most cells are items crafted from blocks of the same type. For example, shield capacitor, shield recharger, reactor, power capacitor, thruster. These boost your stats (each one gives you 100-500% depending on stat and quality of cell). Basically characters are small ships that can control ships.

All cells wear out over use (by default). There are also special cells that you can only get from completing missions. For example, expander cells. These give you extra cell slots. You can also get high-grade cells that provide more performance or last much longer through missions.

Combat:
    Weapons, devices, and gadgets are done through frames. You have a frame item in your inventory. If you right-click on it, it will bring up an editing screen where you adjust the functional blocks in the frame. You can place any type of weapon or utility on the frame, along with any secondary and any effect.

If there is a customizable appearance, you can edit it with 5cm blocks. For these frames, you must have 1 cosmetic block per functional block, since it will allow others to easily judge the capability of gadgets and weapons. However, the cosmetic data and functional blocks are stored separately. Non-customiazble frames have a fixed number of slots for blocks.

Weapons: You can only have one primary in a weapon. In addition, you can add energy capacitors to frames to add burst-fire (does not affect DPS) You can also add reactors to stagger the shots.

Devices: These allow you to use defensive effects as a character. You need more module the more mass you have in your inventory (note that mass is only weapons, devices, etc., not blocks) to get full effects. You can have multiple effects on one device. In addition, devices have active timers and cooldown timers. By default, these are the same. Add energy capacitors to increase both these times. Add reactors to change the ratio of cooldown time to active time. Cooldowns are shortened if you deactivate the device before the active timer ends.

Gadgets: They can contain hacking gadgets, projectors that make an AOE heal/power/shields for allies, turrets, cover shields, mines, support drones.

They would be less effective block-per-block than player weapons, but be independent. Drones/turrets come in different mark ratings, which tells you how many primaries they can have. They can also be rated "effective," which means they will use a single passive effect. They do require power/shields of their own though.

Generators only have one support ability, though they can also be "effective."

Your AIs will either shoot at whatever you are attacking, until something attacks you, at which point they deal with that. You can tell them to manually attack something.

Like weapons, you can customize the appearance of drones, generators, and turrets using 5cm blocks.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What really needs to happen is for small arms to penetrate shields. That makes combat possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What really needs to happen is for small arms to penetrate shields. That makes combat possible.
    that is a dumb idea and will make so trolling will be super easy. That idea has been suggested before and a lot of people disagreed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    that is a dumb idea and will make so trolling will be super easy. That idea has been suggested before and a lot of people disagreed.
    Better have better AI, make an EMP + ION + STOP swarm of attack drones and use delay+not to repeat fire from your main ship.

Capturing is OP and you shouldn't be able to capture equal mass.

I would really like a self-destruction mechanism which only triggers if you trigger it by logic, not by getting shot at.
    This and a few charged quick multi-jump escape pods with 9 computers, 9 single jumps and a few regeneration for more jumps and fighting with small guns might be worth it.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    BLEAH! Not going to work. We need a totally different device for something like that, as well as ways to defend against it. Here are some ideas:

DEMOLITION PACK: A personal explosive pack for breaking through doors. It may only be placed on doors, can only damage doors, and takes several seconds to set up. It ignores shields. It can be detonated remotely by the astronaut who placed it, damaging the door it is placed on and any nearby astronauts. If the door opens while the pack is still on it, the pack will be knocked off and explode, damaging nearby astronauts but leaving the door intact.

HACKING DEVICE: Device that could be set up on a hostile ship or structure (not faction home) to allow access to adjacent faction-locked blocks. Hacking could take seconds or minutes and would not work on faction modules, shop modules, or build modules. Hacking a core would not immediately allow access to it, but would kill the pilot. After the pilot is killed, the ship's shields must be knocked out before the core can be entered. When someone of your faction enters the core, the ship's faction signature is reset.

Hacking could be defended against by placing a type of effect or computer that makes everything on the structure take longer to hack as well as by placing guards (NPC or player) to shoot at intruders.

PERIMETER DEFENSE TURRET: It looks sort of like a one-block gun. It would essentially be a one-block turret that has as much health and the same weapon as a player. To prevent players from spamming them all over every wall and ceiling making it impossible to take over anything, they might require a certain distance (configurable) from other perimeter defense turrets. As a sci-fi excuse, you could say that placing them too close to each other would make them interfere with each other's sensors.

GRENADE: Throw it and it explodes after a few seconds. In space it goes straight. On a ship, it will be affected by the gravity module closest to where it was thrown. On a planet, it will obviously curve toward the planet. These should not ignore shields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Valiant70 Let me see:
    Demolition pack: Disintegrators and hacking modules in a gadget. Done. Disintegrators determine how big the blast is, hacking modules speed up fuse.
    Hacking Device: This would be a gadget. I mentioned it in the wall of text that is the OP.
    Personal turret: First, under this suggestion, there would be no default player weapon. Also, Player HP and other stats like shields won't be fixed. The gadget turrets I suggested in the OP aren't fixed; they are player-deployed when they need to and only last a few minutes. I could imagine a "gadget port" block that I stick a gadget like a turret or projector in and it will stick around until it gets blown up. It then respawns after a while (like 5-10 minutes.)
    Grenades: When we get the minelayer weapons (soon(TM)) those will be grenade launchers in player weapons.

Nice idea. But infantry combat don't happens in SM.
    That's only because we really don't have the tools for it. Once we do, it will become more common and advanced than the minigames people have currently come up with.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The biggest thing is that we need motives for infantry combat. If there were a motive, we'd be fighting with our laser pistols already, although it wouldn't be a lot of fun or have much variety.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hopefully the mission system will provide us with that. Hacking and maybe a few charges will be better than a ton of nukes if you need to access a specific block in the center of a station. Also, nuking a station means you destroy loot (or it should) that you might not be able to get elsewhere, like items that give you faction points or special cells or better gadgets or weapons.

And, I mean, people are already making minigames with the current player weapons, even though the only thing they can change is the beam color.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There is that, but it wouldn't create a lot of PVP opportunities for infantry wars like landing on a hostile player station, planet, or ship and attempting to take over. What you describe suggests more PVE (player versus environment) combat against ambient NPCs guarding loot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I could imagine that having to go 'r' on the faction block of a base at some point is needed to capture during a seige, but I really don't do PvP. I am much more PvE, which means I'm not the best person to talk to about this.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I always love suggestions like these that encourage more development of ground-based interaction. Good ideas, OP.