BindException Error

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    When I try to run StarMade, the launcher window opens and then this pops up over it:

Critical Error
    BindException: Cannot assign requested address: connect

It has a retry option, which I have tried multiple times to no avail. In the launcher window, as well, it says it is Retrieving Launcher Version. If I click the refresh button, it brings up the same popup error.

I have tried deleting the folder in AppData, I have installed a previous build, I have run as administrator, and I have run the StarMade Checker tool (all pass, except the graphics card because it didn't recognize it: GeForce GTX 660). I'm running version 0.1421. Windows 8.1.

The game has been running perfectly fine for several months now. I have seen this error pop up before on another computer I have run the game on, but that was an older version that I had not used for some time. I have been unable to find any possible solutions to this. I am also unable to Uplink as it says the address is invalid on the machine. The game no longer runs, freezing up when I try to run single player "connecting to localhost:4242"

I am using LauncherVersion 9, just downloaded it. Still no change.

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    create a batchfile, and start starmade launcher with:
    -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

to make it use ipv4 stack instead of ipv6.

Should work then.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Assuming I made the batchfile right (which I'm not sure I did), it didn't seem to help. Do you have an example I can use to make it from, or a website that would show me accurately? I've only been able to find general information so far on creating a batchfile.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So I've been trying other methods, since the batchfile did not work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (I am currently trying that again), and may try uninstalling/reinstalling Java (at the suggestion of someone). It definitely seems to be a launcher problem. I am also unable to upload an error report. Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Reaction score
    I'm not exactly sure how the Batchfile would have to look like using the exe, but if you download the jar for OS X/Linux (which should work on Windows, too), it would look like this:
    Code:
    java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar StarMade-Starter.jar

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    der_scheme, I tried using the code you provided along with the Linux jar, and that seemed to get the launcher working just fine, no error popping up there. However, I am still unable to get the game to run. The options menu opens, but when I launch the game, either single player or trying to connect to an online server, it gets stuck while trying to connect to either the online server or localhost:4242. I haven't been able to get it beyond this point. Any further thoughts?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay, so I did a little more working/looking, and I believe it was the internet filter that was installed on this computer (Net Nanny). I uninstalled the filter and now StarMade runs just fine, like always. StarMade used to run fine with the internet filter installed and running up until a few days ago, so it is possible an update or some such other thing produced the error. I wonder if that may be what is affecting the other players who have similar problems.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    sims2pet3 darktoes
    Please look into this as this may be a similar reason.

- Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I tried the batch file thing and it didn't do anything, I had a quick look for any Internet filters but I'm almost sure I have none and I couldn't find any. I might spend more time on it when I can be stuffed to spend the time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So I removed the internet filter and StarMade ran with no problems. I re-installed the filter and am now receiving the same error again. So it would seem that the filter is the culprit in this situation. I'm going to send a support ticket to the company and see if they can help at all. It's Net Nanny, Edition 7, if you need any of that information. Should I pass this information anywhere else?