Recognized Better Player Character

What do you think about the idea?

• Its too much like Arma, Starmade is made for space fights

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes this would be a great addition, espacially with the A.I crew that we will see soon, and for pvp

Votes: 4 28.6%
    • Maybe, but I don't like the idea of plasma swords

Votes: 1 7.1%
    • Sure, although we need some type of crew follower system for ship takeovers aswell!

Votes: 8 57.1%
    • Maybe, but I don't like the idea of machine guns

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • No! What if someone finds my obvious weak spot in my capital ship and takes it over from within!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Note: this is to make weapon combat more interesting

Things the new player character needs:

When youre character has gravity:
    - Q = character leans left (for looking around corners)
    - E = character leans right
    Ctrl = crouch
    Shift: makes the player run, because atm the player walks really slow
    When Hit:
    character camera needs to shake, this would greatly improve pvp tactics as it would make it harder to fire for someone that got shot (meaning you need to be carefull you cant just rush it)

Machineguns : kill player way faster than pistols but can overheat
    4-5 shots = dead, 7 shots = overheat
    overheat = 12 sec cooldown
    (never add recoil to lasers it doesnt make sense)

plasma swords: one hit kill on any astronaut, so be carefull in short hallways.

Stun gun: the stun gun is a gun that would freeze the player instead of killing the player
    while freezed you can take stuff from their inventory (like weapons)
    perfect for taking astronauts prisoner.

EDIT--------

Pull head out of chest, heighten the camera entity so blocks dont look extremely big (this is someone elses idea)

Rifles,Pistols etc should also be visible in first person instead of just a crosshair

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    "Laser" guns shoot projectiles like cannons, and real lasers do have recoil due to momentum conservation.
    While true, said recoil is negligable compared to heat generation, as the mass of a laser-pulse is negligable. Otherwise it would quickly collapse into a kugelblitz[black hole made from photons].

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    We really need a control for running. I avoid long corridors because it takes SO long to walk around...
    The other controls are cool. I guess they had plans to implement something like that when it become relevant for gameplay.
    I like the stun idea. So you can also place the player in a docked cell and then launch it into a wormhole, so he will be lost in space forever!!

And about the plasma swords, I think we should leave them for a more civilized age.

Reactions: jorn818
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hahaha, having Halo plasma swords would be amazing!
    yeah :D although since copyright is a thing maybe make it like a plasma triangle that can stab anyone
    maybe a stun plasma sword would be cool too for those sneaky capture attacks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What I really want is c4 that can be placed by players :3
    Let the trolling begin :D

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    While true, said recoil is negligable compared to heat generation, as the mass of a laser-pulse is negligable. Otherwise it would quickly collapse into a kugelblitz[black hole made from photons].
    Maybe that's how laser guns actually work?

Reaction score
    Note: this is to make weapon combat more interesting

Things the new player character needs:

When youre character has gravity:
    - Q = character leans left (for looking around corners)
    - E = character leans right
    Ctrl = crouch
    Shift: makes the player run, because atm the player walks really slow
    When Hit:
    character camera needs to shake, this would greatly improve pvp tactics as it would make it harder to fire for someone that got shot (meaning you need to be carefull you cant just rush it)

Machineguns : kill player way faster than pistols but can overheat
    4-5 shots = dead, 7 shots = overheat
    overheat = 12 sec cooldown
    (never add recoil to lasers it doesnt make sense)

Stun gun: the stun gun is a gun that would freeze the player instead of killing the player
    while freezed you can take stuff from their inventory (like weapons)
    perfect for taking astronauts prisoner.
    Great idea for new weaponry the stun gun should also allow you to move other players so that you can capture them once you have stunned them.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Are you making that up or do you have hard numbers?
    P=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²m²)
    P is the energy radiated per second, ℏ is the plank constant over 2 pi, G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the black hole. So long as P>0, we can divide by P and multiply by m²:
    m²=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²P)
    Now, since the tsar-bomba released roughly 210 petajoules of energy, P=210*10^15 J/s
    Fill in the constants, and you get:
    m²=1.7×10^15 kg²
    Now we can determine m=sqrt(17)*10^7 kg, or sqrt(17)*10^4 metric tons.
    Any black hole of that or lower mass emits that much or more hawking radiation, as the energy emitted per second is antiproportional to the square of the mass of the black hole.
    Now of course, this energy doesn't come from nothing, and the black hole will lose mass while radiating, however, that still means the kugelblitz in question will still go out in a big flash, unless you say it is reasonable, that the laser pulse in question is heavier, than 10K metric tons. Now you could change the other constants in the equation, as the starmade universe isn't our universe, but I'd say it is reasonable to assume, that the constants wouldn't change too much.

the formulas and the energy of the tsar bomba were taken from wikipedia, however I think in this case a better source isn't really needed, unless you can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Malacodor

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    What I really want is c4 that can be placed by players :3
    Let the trolling begin :D
    its called the disintegrator explosive

I think you will like each other, perhaps I should hook you two up sometime?:D

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    P=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²m²)
    P is the energy radiated per second, ℏ is the plank constant over 2 pi, G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the black hole. So long as P>0, we can divide by P and multiply by m²:
    m²=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²P)
    Now, since the tsar-bomba released roughly 210 petajoules of energy, P=210*10^15 J/s
    m²=1.7×10^15 kg²
    Any black hole of that or lower mass emits that much or more hawking radiation, as the energy emitted per second is antiproportional to the square of the mass of the black hole.
    Now of course, this energy doesn't come from nothing, and the black hole will lose mass while radiating, however, that still means the kugelblitz in question will still go out in a big flash, unless you say it is reasonable, that the laser pulse in question is heavier, than 10K metric tons. Now you could change the other constants in the equation, as the starmade universe isn't our universe, but I'd say it is reasonable to assume, that the constants wouldn't change too much.

the formulas and the energy of the tsar bomba were taken from wikipedia, however I think in this case a better source isn't really needed, unless you can prove me wrong.
    I see I shouldn't mess with you. ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Yeah...have fun with the hawkin-radiation releasing the equivalent of a tsar-bomba every second...
    Well, to make it more realistic, we can add in a self damaging feature. However, I don't think that we are really going for completely scientifically accurate. Let's merely assume that (yes I'm going to use this card) that there is some way to adsorb/eliminate the radiation to a non dangerous level. We can also assume that with the Newtonian mechanics of personal astronaut travel that I hope will come out someday, that it would be quite advantageous to add in a recoil as the feature will be already implemented in the form of force applied by jet-pack/ magic/ ect...

So in other words, radiation damage, no, recoil, most likely.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've always liked the idea of a retractable bayonet mounted to the back of my forearm. It could be an energy blade I suppose, but a physical blade with an energy field along the edges would seem more realistic to me.

P=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²m²)
    m²=(ℏc⁶)/(15360πG²P)
    m²=1.7×10^15 kg²
    ...Nice.

The "laser" needs to be renamed "pistol." It's not a laser. It appears to be a bolt of plasma or a physical bolt of some kind covered in energy.