Bug Beginners tutorial broken

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I told someone to have a look at StarMade while talking about space games the other day. Some time later I asked him, "And...", only to learn he couldn't finish, or better even, start the tutorial.

It's been a long time since I did the starting tutorial myself so I gave it a look just now, but as soon as you're teleported to the tutorial facility and been given the direction to meet NPC-00 you're stuck. You can move everywhere but not near the location of the named objective since he/she is spawned a few hundredth meters below you. You can walk through all corridors as much as you like, but there's no way you can get a few hundred meters down to the NPC that seems to be moving right below you all the time....

It is quite embarrassing to recommend a game to someone only to learn the very first encounter they have is a bug, so please guys, fix this, it is very bad advertisement to say the least.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only thing I can add is that it did work some builds ago when the new tutorial system was introduced. I tried it then and it worked fine. I can't remember the build number then, but I suppose you will know, or can find it.
    I see in the bug report the current release version is the first occurrence, but I distinctly heard this particular flaw be mentioned before the 0.19xxx builds. I'm sorry I didn't have the time to check it out then.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Problem is we do check it before every release ... and it did work always as expected.
    Its part of our pre release checklist.
    Never seen it happen and have no idea how it happens

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Strange I've seen the NPCs bug and fall through the floor to along with other bugs on the tutorial station. I think it is still happening on FilleCraft. I'll have to check later though.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Strange I've seen the NPCs bug and fall through the floor to along with other bugs on the tutorial station. I think it is still happening on FilleCraft. I'll have to check later though.
    I was able to Confirm it. It happens on mikelands server, but not my sp or in the dev. build.. I think what happens, is that the NPC fall thru the floor before the station has fully rendered. perhaps from lag. who knows..

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I was able to Confirm it. It happens on mikelands server, but not my sp or in the dev. build.. I think what happens, is that the NPC fall thru the floor before the station has fully rendered. perhaps from lag. who knows..
    Happens on my station as well, been seeing NPCs fall through the floor before it can even render.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    multiplayer station on Fillecraft, haven't tested it offline though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, over here it's the latest release and SP (single player) and since my PC specs are quite good to say it mildly, the dropping through the floor because of slow initialization of the station would mean the spawn order of station and NPC is wrong in the code or it doesn't cater for a wait on station completion before the NPC is spawned. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Same problem here, this is the first time i'm trying this game and it's discouraging that the first tutorial doesn't work. Npc-0 falls through the ground. I've tried the tutorial on both singleplayer and multiplayer.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1446571557,1446570429][/DOUBLEPOST]Here are some log files, logs.0 is from an online play, log.2 from an local play.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Same problem here
    I tried to exit tutorial and launched manually TutorialStartUp
    It seemed to work, I was in the station in front of NPC-00
    but then got an error when hit R to talk with him

I'm currently reinstalling Starmade

Edit : after reinstalling, same problem
    I tried with previous release, same thing...

Don't have any idea now

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I got this same exact problem yesterday when I tried to play Starmade for the first time.

Reaction score
    I've the same problem myself. In addition, in attempting to fix a texture bug, I wound up crashing my game before I can even try to R the NPC. Attached is the most recent log.

Attachments

Reaction score
    This would be fixed in the next patch, it was said in the Steam's discussion

schema [developer] 17 hours ago

both the falling and the nullpointer are now fixed in the dev version. Next release will be on Friday. Sorry again for the inconvenience. The Nullpointer got in during internationalization and the falling through was a bug in lag reduction where the server didn't send a correction to the clients (because the NPC only checks not to fall on server and then sends its position to the client to correct in case it falls on the client

Reaction score
    Good to know, as I get the same problem on both my Mac and my PC, so it's definitely platform independent too.

Reaction score
    Have the same problem.. as a new player it is frustrating.. I was able to get NPC-00 to appear after seemly falling through floor..
    However NPC-04 (crafting) I was never able to get.. so Thanks youtube for showing me the basics.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Is this still happening with the .19485 Release ?
    Because i did try it three times and it did work flawless each time.
    I have no idea how to reproduce this and what the circumstances have to be for it to happen.